Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:13 AM

381 posts, read 277,921 times

Advertisements

Bet you can guess I'm not on the above social media platforms.Is city data considered social media?.What amazes me is that so many people after getting sickening abuse through the above mediums and the media reporting it they still keep using them.Why can they not delete their accounts and return to the real world.Heck even these isis scumbags use their accounts to inform the world of their slaughters in the middle east.Social media has a lot to answer for.Just my opinion of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:36 PM

41 posts, read 14,898 times
Yes, it is! Everyone is addicted and have enough time to spend to comment, like and share the stuff on it.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:37 AM

6,798 posts, read 2,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkemma1987 View Post
Yes, it is! Everyone is addicted and have enough time to spend to comment, like and share the stuff on it.
Much of social media content is little more than middle-school note passing by narcissists and/or those whose lives revolve around the feigned life of others. C-D, generally, offers more than that. Social media is something else. The scary thing is that this thread will likely die a quick death since there are so few people left who are NOT caught up in the "poison platform" of social media. Pretty soon there will be no one left to exercise any voice of concern and reason. People are becoming dumber and more robotic by the day as their masters - smart phones and a life lived behind social media - take them over. If terrorists want to destroy us all ...they just need to wait a little bit longer.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
I think so, for the most part. There is some good of course, I like forums like this because it the only real way to have discussions with all sorts of people on all sorts of topics. Obviously some moderation is required to keep the riff raff at bay. I also enjoy looking at the photo sharing social media but before that became a thing I could always look at Google images

Old 09-20-2018, 03:30 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,551,741 times
As an artist I depend on social media to do business.

That's what it's supposed to be for. Art, music, personal connections. Not cultist political mind grooming.

All things in moderation.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
It has become a tool of control imo, keeping people 'distracted'.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:32 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,992,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post

Bet you can guess I'm not on the above social media platforms.Is city data considered social media?.What amazes me is that so many people after getting sickening abuse through the above mediums and the media reporting it they still keep using them.Why can they not delete their accounts and return to the real world.Heck even these isis scumbags use their accounts to inform the world of their slaughters in the middle east.Social media has a lot to answer for.Just my opinion of course.
As primates, one evolutionary trait that separated us from other primates is how social we became. We have to rely on each other now, its how we're hardwired. This is slowly being replaced by artificial means and people are becoming less and less reliant on the people around them for their social needs. Gone are the weekend community cookouts, the cribbage games, church gatherings, and the social traditions of our parents and forefathers. Because the generations of today no longer have the same social skills that we had growing up, they find it harder to relate to each other and this turns into a sort of Trolling skill that causes them to self preserve. When PlayStation and Xbox first introduced online gaming co-op , it was like minded people working together to help reach a goal, ten years later its all F Bombs and racism, where the best beat their opponents and dance on their corpses. This is just one example.

I feel that we are evolving once again, into more of a solo existence, where robots and sex dolls fill our voids, and we lose the ability to go out in public anymore.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:29 PM

54 posts, read 77,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Much of social media content is little more than middle-school note passing by narcissists and/or those whose lives revolve around the feigned life of others. C-D, generally, offers more than that. Social media is something else. The scary thing is that this thread will likely die a quick death since there are so few people left who are NOT caught up in the "poison platform" of social media. Pretty soon there will be no one left to exercise any voice of concern and reason. People are becoming dumber and more robotic by the day as their masters - smart phones and a life lived behind social media - take them over. If terrorists want to destroy us all ...they just need to wait a little bit longer.

Could not agree more with this. The combination of "social" media and "smart" devices is unleashing something terrible. But people are either too dumb to see it, or have their heads in the sand.

Take a tiny example I thought of recently. I have been riding Amtrak trains along the northeast corridor for almost 15 years. Sometimes for vacation, mostly for business. Even as late as the 2009-2010 timeframe, it was still not unusual to strike up a conversation with a stranger. I still remember back in 2005 or 2006 having a chat with a couple lawyers about an article they were reading and discussing called "The Perils of E-Discovery". Still remember that silly article title! I shared my perspective as someone who works in IT as is not a lawyer. Moreover, people conversed more among themselves. Nowadays, even though I'm as approachable as ever, NOBODY talks to strangers anymore. And its quite normal to see a couple or party who are presumably together in some capacity, either GF/BF, family, or business associates, who sit there for an hour doing almost nothing besides play with their damn smartphones. Not on a train but worst example ever: saw a 30-something father in a pretty upscale restaurant in the Bay Area, taking his 8-9 year old daughter to dinner. He looked like a tech executive or whatnot. Through the whole night he said about 5 words to her. Worked on his smart phone the entire evening. Horrible.
If there is one good thing, there are fewer people breaking the rules of the quiet car than back in the 2000s - because people have become mute!

Last edited by ZigZagBoom; 10-25-2018 at 03:42 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,055,954 times
Nah.

I think one's attitude towards social media is really a reflection of who you are, rather than a reflection on social media itself. If you are drawn to wild-eyed political rants and arguments with strangers, then that's what you are rather than what it is. If you're a narcissist, then you are annoyed by the other narcissists who are attracting attention away from...you.

The reason for this is pretty simple. If someone is subjecting you to a hundred political posts a day, all you have to do is unfollow them. If someone is always online with personal drama, you can do the same. So you pretty much get to shape social media based on what you want out of it.

Facebook? I like catching up with old friends and acquaintances. Old classmates and colleagues. Friends who moved away. Friends who have suffered the loss of a spouse or a parent. To me, it's a conduit for learning what everybody is up to and what their kids are doing. And if someone is on some fantastic vacation, I am perfectly happy knowing that they're having a good time. If I don't allow envy to rule my life, then why wouldn't I? Just a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine had a band and was touring with a stopover at a nightclub near our home. We strolled in, watched them play, said hello, and caught up over drinks. Hadn't seen the guy in 30 years. If it weren't for Facebook, I wouldn't have had that experience.

Another is a musical organization that I belonged to 35 years ago. I started following it online five years ago. Today, because I saw opportunities to volunteer for the thing, I'm now sitting on the board. Having a blast, too, I might add. Repeat those experiences dozens and dozens of times over the years, and Facebook has been an asset to my life.

In other words, Facebook is basically a cocktail party with a few hundred people you know. There are the ones you avoid and there are the ones with whom you really connect. And, of course, there's always the grump in the corner who thinks he's above it all.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 10-25-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 PM

54 posts, read 77,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

The reason for this is pretty simple. If someone is subjecting you to a hundred political posts a day, all you have to do is unfollow them. .

But this isn't the way the cool millennial kids actually operate. I've managed to quasi-befriend a couple a work. They ruthlessly make fun of another co-worker for his "SJW" style posts to social media. They wouldn't get any dirt for backstabbing if they unfollowed him. As posted above: "Because the generations of today no longer have the same social skills that we had growing up, they find it harder to relate to each other and this turns into a sort of Trolling skill that causes them to self preserve."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In other words, Facebook is basically a cocktail party with a few hundred people you know. There are the ones you avoid and there are the ones with whom you really connect. And, of course, there's always the grump in the corner who thinks he's above it all

Yes there can be some positive outcomes from social media. The point is the net, overall effect is clearly negative. Especially for young people.

Last edited by ZigZagBoom; 10-25-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates