Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,080,225 times

Advertisements

How does your definition of pro-life not include the life of the woman?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Eh, its like the 3/5th law, 5 women to count for 3 fetuses

Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,249,945 times
Im not prolife without exception, I believe if the life of the woman is in danger or the fetus isn't compatible with life then there should be exception. I also think that abortions performed early are at least understandable. I also know the point of viability can be as early as 24 weeks. There is zero reasons why a woman would need to get an abortion past 24 weeks unless the fetus is not compatible with life. After the point of viability an abortion is unquestionably murder of a baby. And there are no health conditions the mother could have that would require her to have an abortion as opposed to a live delivery. Pregnancy itself is not a life threatening condition.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Im not prolife without exception, I believe if the life of the woman is in danger or the fetus isn't compatible with life then there should be exception.
You realize no fetus is compatible with life right? At least more alive than you keeping a medically dead person on ventilators

If fetuses were compatible, you could do a c section then hand them the fetus afterward to take home

Hell babies aren't capable of feeding themselves until what 2?

Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM

9,994 posts, read 5,698,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
How does your definition of pro-life not include the life of the woman?
Can you identify anyone whose definition of pro-life excludes the life of the woman?

Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,536,974 times
I don't think the issue is really pro-life. It's pro birth. Many conservatives and the religious rite believe in pro birth. They don't care that the baby is being carried by a woman, therefore she deserves no rights. When a child is born and becomes a man or a woman, these same people, most of the time, believes they should be executed if the crime is horrendous, or if they are a minority and the cops are killing a segment of society, they are not coming to their defense and defending their lives.

Only the birth matters...not the life...

Old 06-10-2019, 04:16 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,249,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
You realize no fetus is compatible with life right? At least more alive than you keeping a medically dead person on ventilators

If fetuses were compatible, you could do a c section then hand them the fetus afterward to take home

Hell babies aren't capable of feeding themselves until what 2?
You realize that being able to live independently is not a condition of "life" right? "Medically" dead people have no brain activity and are therefore kept alive with machines. Preemies born viable have brain activity and an active nervous system. Being able to feed oneself has nothing to do with being alive.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Can you identify anyone whose definition of pro-life excludes the life of the woman?
This is old history and one extremely religious Roman Catholic tells me it's no longer the case- but in the 1970s a woman wrote about traveling in Italy and having abdominal pains. Since she was sexually active, an ectopic pregnancy was a possibility. They made it clear they would not treat an ectopic pregnancy because removing the zygote from the Fallopian tube where it had implanted itself (and had no chance of going full term) would be an abortion, which was against the law. Fortunately, it turned out she had some other medical issue.

Anyone know if this is current thinking anywhere?

Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
As a young woman I was fiercely pro-choice. As I have grown I've come to a deep respect for all living things including animals, their eggs and foetii, trees and flowers, lakes and rivers and lower life forms.

I realize I'm in no position to sit in judgement on this issue nor do I believe is anyone else other than those it affects. I'm astounded at the presumption that anyone can dictate what is the correct answer. Only those who can magically predict the future know if they are right.

I think people tend to argue this without much thought to the non-scientific implications. It's an individual and spiritual decision related to how one views his part in the flow of life and is not without consequences both positive and negative.

It appears someone has to make decisions about this in a society but it won't be me. I will mourn the loss of all potential be it an aborted child, a broken egg or a trampled tulip.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:51 PM

18,406 posts, read 19,042,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
You realize that being able to live independently is not a condition of "life" right? "Medically" dead people have no brain activity and are therefore kept alive with machines. Preemies born viable have brain activity and an active nervous system. Being able to feed oneself has nothing to do with being alive.
Once born anyone who wants the job can take care of someone. Not so with a pregnancy that falls solely on one woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates