Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 05:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,936,606 times

Advertisements

My BS degree was in Psychology. And we studied human motivation. But I don't remember ever a teacher stressing the approval of others, or conversely the disapproval of others as an influence on human behavior. But it sure is. People will absolutely exhausting themselves to gain approval. Even people who are very powerful and rich seem to be constantly concerned with others approval. To me, its a sad way to go through life.

My concern is Gods approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 11:29 AM

947 posts, read 1,188,341 times
I agree. Social media has turned lots of people into narcissists. Receiving just 1 like on Facebook or IG will make some people go nuts.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:35 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,188,399 times
Those who do not look for approval from others are also criticized and cast out by just about everyone. Those who do not declare themselves as dedicated participants in any sort of organized religion are criticized as well. People seem to enjoy finding things wrong in others more than anything else.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,245,043 times
If you have access to the Netflix, you ought to watch Black Mirror episode "Nosedive" with Bryce Dallas Howard.

Yes, this is an issue that unfortunately is negatively impacting youths. On the flip-side there are folks like my wife who doesn't give a flip with others think about her...almost to malignant degree. She lacks sympathy but understands the social protocol enough to fake empathy. Of course if she cared too much about others, she wouldn't be able to be an effective mediator but I digress.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:28 PM

1,098 posts, read 906,073 times
Disagree with most of the points you make. Our need for "approval" comes from a need for survival. Without approval from the tribe you're in deep. Not as important into days society, but nevertheless still important. I'd agree that the way we go about seeking approval isn't always the healthiest, but it's a primal need at the end of the day.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:13 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,676,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
If you have access to the Netflix, you ought to watch Black Mirror episode "Nosedive" with Bryce Dallas Howard.

Yes, this is an issue that unfortunately is negatively impacting youths. On the flip-side there are folks like my wife who doesn't give a flip with others think about her...almost to malignant degree. She lacks sympathy but understands the social protocol enough to fake empathy. Of course if she cared too much about others, she wouldn't be able to be an effective mediator but I digress.
Oh that episode struck me more than any other! It was so prescient of our current culture. Eerie and tragic.

I'm not on any social media except for this site, and I dislike how I DO glance at someone's rep points. For a long while I never realized they were there.

I just read an article studying the effect of "likes" on teen phone sites. Now they are all more depressed---since the invention of the smartphone.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:41 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,420,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My BS degree was in Psychology. And we studied human motivation. But I don't remember ever a teacher stressing the approval of others, or conversely the disapproval of others as an influence on human behavior. But it sure is. People will absolutely exhausting themselves to gain approval. Even people who are very powerful and rich seem to be constantly concerned with others approval. To me, its a sad way to go through life.

My concern is Gods approval.

The present (per this typing) U.S. President Donald Trump is a classic example of what you are speaking of. Note to the C-D moderators that this is NOT offered up here as a political statement of any type. I'd offer up this view for all to consider regardless of what my own or your own personal politics are. For even if you are a conservative or libertatarian Republican or a right-leaning voter, it should be undeniable to anyone who is clear-minded and truly intellectually honest that Donald Trump builds so very very very very much of his life around being approved of and praised: Always soliciting likes and praise via social media, always praising himself, always sponsoring so many rallies of his ardent supporters wherever they can be found to engage in "rah rah rah" pep rallies (even long after he has already been elected to office for years now!), and so on. He just LOVES LOVES LOVES to be adored and outright panders for it.

Note that I would say this about ANY political figure who conducted themselves like this as a way-of-life: whether they be ultra-conservative, conservative, moderate, liberal, uber-liberal, left-leaning, far-left-leaning, and whatever other category. It is a most-interesting social psychological phenomenon to witness in someone. I mean we ALL like to be approved, liked and praised to some degree (for we are all only human and are social creatures) but the present (per this typing) U.S. President Donald Trump just takes it to the limits. He is the epitome of this way-of-being.

P.S. to the OP: I also have a degree in Psychology.

Last edited by UsAll; 09-28-2019 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-28-2019, 02:50 PM

61,901 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Only weak and insecure seek other people approval.
They should work on their self esteem and confidence.

BTW: being rich and powerful doesn't make them feel secure, obviously.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:25 PM

949 posts, read 574,655 times
Our political parties are perfect examples and so is the media. Both regularly perform chest pounding ceremonies to gain others approval. People are not as smart as you think.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Disagree with most of the points you make. Our need for "approval" comes from a need for survival. Without approval from the tribe you're in deep. Not as important into days society, but nevertheless still important. I'd agree that the way we go about seeking approval isn't always the healthiest, but it's a primal need at the end of the day.
Absolutely.

Social rejection actually registers in the pain center of the brain. People are not supposed to be "good" with being rejected by other humans - it's supposed to cause pain and cause a change in behavior, so the individual can survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates