Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,324,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You're saying proceed with caution but also saying you'd do the same thing. I think it's nuts. I think it's asking for trouble. Come across a real criminal - the type you want to guard against - and you are going to get hurt.

No I'm not. I said I would approach them, but I would do it in away where I'm not coming off as an a-hole, or guns blazing. You can walk up to someone and politely ask what business do they have here. If someone suspicious is hanging around my property, I am going to look into it. You can get attacked by a criminal while walking, or sitting on a public bench. If someone wants to inflict harm on another person, they'll do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 09:58 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
No I'm not. I said I would approach them, but I would do it in away where I'm not coming off as an a-hole, or guns blazing. You can walk up to someone and politely ask what business do they have here. If someone suspicious is hanging around my property, I am going to look into it. You can get attacked by a criminal while walking, or sitting on a public bench. If someone wants to inflict harm on another person, they'll do it.

We,, the topic is "confront" strangers, so people are going by that wording, which does sound aggressive versus politely approaching them. Also your property is not quite the same as your neighborhood.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We,, the topic is "confront" strangers, so people are going by that wording, which does sound aggressive versus politely approaching them. Also your property is not quite the same as your neighborhood.

It is if it's a gated community. Which you'd know if you were really following the "topic."

Old 12-05-2019, 05:50 PM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
It is if it's a gated community. Which you'd know if you were really following the "topic."
You know every single person that lives in the gated community, and all their friends and relatives?

Old 12-05-2019, 05:52 PM

8,501 posts, read 6,913,511 times
At my age I’d probably get my butt kicked.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You know every single person that lives in the gated community, and all their friends and relatives?

No, but those communities usually stick together for the most part, especially when suspicious people hang around the premises. I have multiple relatives that live in gated communities, including one of them who also has a house in Florida, and they have told me and my family that for the most part, the neighbors look out for each other.

Any other questions?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:35 AM

586 posts, read 315,335 times
Default How willing are you to confront strangers who may not belong in your neighborhood?

Confront? Good way to get shot in the face. Keep an eye on them. If there is a real reason to suspect they are up to no good, call the police. It's their job to handle such situations. If the situation becomes tense, stay in your home, lock and load, then wait for the all clear.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:30 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,535,040 times
Would never live in a gated community so not a problem.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
I leave that job to the dogs. They do a better job of it than I ever could.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:52 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,073,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Confront? No. Take note of, maybe take a license number or discription? Sure if it seemed warranted by the timing or behavior. Maybe take a cell picture if they follow me in and it seemed odd and there were no cameras. Otherwise, no. I don't think the Mansons are coming every time I see a strange car. I was once at a campsite when the place was apparently visited by Ted Bundy but that has not made me super fearful. Common sense and some cautious vigilance works most of the time.

Some people do need to chill out. We are scaring ourselves silly. We have a woman in the neighborhood who is so freaked out by anything that seems different that she reports it all. She was taking a walk at 3AM (wtf??) And saw a car driving around suspiciously up and down the streets so she reported it (it was the newspaper delivery guy). One could ask why she is roaming the street at 3AM.
To be fair, she was living across the street from a witch but nobody believed her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates