Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 09:05 PM

339 posts, read 171,355 times

Advertisements

We think this is one of the most comprehensive articles on this subject we've seen. We recognize the controversial nature of the matters presented, but too many discussions completely omit any concern about the animals. We seem to turn a blind eye on this suffering in favor of our own sensual pleasure.

This article is posted for those who have an interest in the subject.

Why Go Vegan? The Top Reasons Explained
https://www.vegan.com/why/?fbclid=Iw...Et6RvvO3DJ899w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 04:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
I clicked the link and the first line involves animal suffering which is b.s. this is shame and guilt tactics...

ive been a butcher for over 35 yrs...have processed hundreds of thousands of animals...the ultimate respect we give an animal is a quick painless death ..I have 100's of times.

also ….ive read more animals are killed harvesting veggies than livestock these are wild free animals....small animals yet still give their life for your salad..

beware the propaganda by vegans..

86% of vegans go back to eating meat ..

in the u.s. the vegan population is less than 3% (10x more people believe in bigfoot than a vegan diet)

eat what you want but once you infer all the animals suffer its b.s. then its propaganda on the global warming front too...… 150 yrs ago 60 million bison roamed the plains.....yet they didn't burp or fart??????

Old 12-31-2019, 05:22 AM

339 posts, read 171,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I clicked the link and the first line involves animal suffering which is b.s. this is shame and guilt tactics...

ive been a butcher for over 35 yrs...have processed hundreds of thousands of animals...the ultimate respect we give an animal is a quick painless death ..I have 100's of times.

also ….ive read more animals are killed harvesting veggies than livestock these are wild free animals....small animals yet still give their life for your salad..

beware the propaganda by vegans..

86% of vegans go back to eating meat ..

in the u.s. the vegan population is less than 3% (10x more people believe in bigfoot than a vegan diet)

eat what you want but once you infer all the animals suffer its b.s. then its propaganda on the global warming front too...… 150 yrs ago 60 million bison roamed the plains.....yet they didn't burp or fart??????

If animals don't suffer, why do they cry and scream and fight for their lives until the last moment?

Global warming is propaganda????

Wrong on all counts, and scary, too. Pretty terrifying opinions, and all of them wrong.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:32 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Not sure where all the posts went but vegans still haven't addressed the issue of the slaughter of millions of birds, rodents and insects from plant agriculture? The article doesn't seem to touch on this point at all.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:43 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
The article also states that vegan diets support high levels of fitness but what they don't tell you is that just because some of the athletes they mentioned excelled on a vegan diet, that doesn’t mean that everyone will.

There are many non-dietary factors influence athletic performance, including genetics, epigenetics, stress, sleep, work ethic, talent, coaching, etc. These are significant. Also, if optimal athletic performance is your goal then the vegan diet is not your top choice. The article mentions many players from the Tennessee Titans going vegan yet they were 7-5 this year and 9-7 last year. They also mention Derrick Morgan going vegan yet after going vegan he had a CAREER LOW in sacks. If vegan was the optimal diet for athletic performance these players would be excelling and not regressing.

The article also claims that "The world’s cows, pigs, and chickens probably surpass automobiles as a cause of climate change." Yet with no data to back it up yet. What the data actually shows is that agriculture affects the environment the least out of everything else. Unfortunately the article that was posted makes lots of claims with no scientific data to back it up.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 12-31-2019 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-31-2019, 07:21 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
If animals don't suffer, why do they cry and scream and fight for their lives until the last moment?
Everything dies and everything fights for life. Does being humanly slaughtered cause one to suffer more than dying from starvation, disease, attacked by predators, hit by a car, poisoned? Is it better for your species to become extinct and for individuals to have never been?

Old 12-31-2019, 08:56 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
OP, post from a non-biased source if you want to be taken seriously, not from vegan.com

If you want to go vegan, go right ahead, but putting any mental energy into what people eat is nothing short of a waste. We have real issues in the world where human beings are suffering. Focusing effort on animals when you could focus on helping people is more than a little silly.

No, I won't go vegan, and no, I don't see anything compelling in what you linked.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:58 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post

Global warming is propaganda????

Wrong on all counts, and scary, too. Pretty terrifying opinions, and all of them wrong.

Nerves. Why do chickens run around without a head?

Old 12-31-2019, 11:15 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Respectfully, most discussions of vegetarianism/veganism focus on animal suffering.

Still, it's a valid point that should not be dismissed. That said, this put me off:
Quote:
Alternately, you can do your own monitoring. This requires meeting the sellers of animal products at your local farmers’ market, and then visiting their farms personally to evaluate the conditions. Me, I have better things to do with my time. I don’t want to spend my precious afternoons driving out to distant farms to verify standards of animal care.
I disagree. I enjoy their wares at the farmer's market, and then it makes a fun trip for the family. And most "local providers" are not "distant farms"... in fact they are typically within 20 min. or less. (Though, I may be particularly lucky in that respect.)

How about the growing trend of backyard chickens? Or the goat milk that comes from your "natural weed controller"?

I also think that the article focuses on diet, when there are MANY challenges to the vegan lifestyle: https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/li...ems-not-vegan/

Old 12-31-2019, 11:40 AM

343 posts, read 353,334 times
I have a sister, an aunt, two uncles, two close friends, a former roommate, and a handful of former acquaintances who are all vegan. Some more successful and committed than others. Most of these people argue the animal suffering point, only my sister argues she is vegan because she doesn't like the texture and flavor of most meats and just gave up on it.

The reoccurring theme I've witnessed, (personal anecdote and in no way a declaration of researched fact) is that the vegans I know seem to be pale, thin, prone to sickness, and generally not athletic. Many of them are happy but I as a vegetable and meat eater vastly outstrip them all in physical fitness.

Now, I do have a gut that they make fun of, and many of these people have said my musculature is freaky to them; but I can still outrun, and generally outperform every one of them in everything requiring physical exertion.

I can't help but wonder if there is something missing from a vegan diet or if vegans genuinely believe that being skinny and pale constitutes good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates