Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 06:31 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times

Advertisements

After seeing thread after thread with "blacks" (or much less often)"whites" in the title -- and much more often in posts -- when do you think that people in the U.S. will stop identifying people by skin color when giving their opinions about an issue?

Imo, this can't come too soon, but I honestly don't think it will happen for another 25 years, at least.

What is your opinion?

Last edited by katharsis; 01-30-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 06:47 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,584,389 times
Never.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,087,838 times
I don't believe everybody in the States thinks that way.

Maybe it will stop when the people who do think that way all stop comparing themselves with other people..... or maybe when they're all dead? It's a conundrum.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:29 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,794,956 times
It isn't a United States thing. There seems to be a part of our human makeup, either learned or somehow inherited, that makes us want to identify with a designated group. If it wasn't race it would be something else, but race is an easy target. We don't seem to care about hair color because there can be different siblings with different hair colors. We don't care about right/left-handedness even though science tells us that there may be an actual difference in thought or perspective based on handedness...because we might have parents or siblings with one or the other. Where race is not an issue we invent ethnic differences (Hutu/Tutsi, Bosnian/Serbian). We can always fall back on religion if all else fails (Catholic Irish/Protestant Irish).

Off-topic but, personally, I get tired of news sources associating or identifying a criminal or alleged criminal as an "Iraq veteran" or "Vietnam veteran" when their veteran status has nothing at all to do with the story.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,539,203 times
It may become less common in the near (10 years) future but it will never totally disappear. Asking that is like asking if people will ever stop killing each other.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:29 PM

8,540 posts, read 4,776,725 times
I say not within our lifetimes. It’s sewn into our DNA, the fear of others - we had to have a low bar for danger in our tribal days. Today that translates to race being too valuable a piece on the board for politicians to ignore.

There are good trends such as the rate of interracial marriage (I myself am in one). It will get better, but there will be bumps in the road because our lizard brains haven’t completely caught up to modern understanding.

This is also why LGBT is still an issue, religion is still an issue (can anyone say Islam?), why Demicans and Republicrats still have friction.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:14 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,188,119 times
I am fed up with people who don't want to accept the fact that we are all separated naturally by race. Straight hair on a black person does not make them white. Dreadlocks on a white person does not make them black. We can plainly see on the outside what is on the inside, and it's on the inside where the deep differences will remain.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:06 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,794,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I am fed up with people who don't want to accept the fact that we are all separated naturally by race. Straight hair on a black person does not make them white. Dreadlocks on a white person does not make them black. We can plainly see on the outside what is on the inside, and it's on the inside where the deep differences will remain.
Okay. So tell us why it matters.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:50 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,718,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
After seeing thread after thread with "blacks" (or much less often)"whites" in the title -- and much more often in posts -- when do you think that people in the U.S. will stop identifying people by skin color when giving their opinions about an issue?

Imo, this can't come too soon, but I honestly don't think it will happen for another 25 years, at least.

What is your opinion?
As long as metrics like income, employment, academic achievement, arrest/incarceration, and many others continue to correlate with race. And as long as that continues to happen, we should be talking about it.

Those things matter. Know what doesn't matter? Getting all uncomfortable because - heaven forbid - someone declines to pretend that race doesn't matter, and therefore talks about it.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:37 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
I think in a few more generations, we’ll all be blended to cafe au lait color, and race won’t be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates