Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 09:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I hate tweakers skulking about looking for things to steal. We have too many where I live, always breaking into cars and sometimes houses. So you want to enable more of them by making it legal to smoke meth? I think you should pay for the damage they do in that case.
No, I think you misunderstand...if you remove the drug laws, the crime will go with it...look at when alcohol prohibition ended...the criminal alcohol market dissolved after alcohol became legal again...look around today, how much alcohol related crime do you hear about? How about black market alcohol?

Once it was legal and legitimate companies started supplying it, there was no place for the criminals anymore.

Keeping the drug laws in place will ensure drug related crimes, like theft and robbery continue.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:26 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
If the US legalized all drugs, 10% of the population would be addicts and a million people a year would die from use. Drugs are poison.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
If the US legalized all drugs, 10% of the population would be addicts and a million people a year would die from use. Drugs are poison.
People thought the same thing when alcohol prohibition was in effect, turns out, that didnt even come close to happening.

Its better for drugs like this to be legalized that way, they can be regulated, and quality control can be implemented, the way it is now, its totally unregulated, street dealers could add battery acid to dope if they wanted to!

Its actually kind of curious, the fact that its all unregulated and not taxed either (thats a big one)!

Old 01-20-2020, 04:28 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
I think Portugal legalized almost all narcotics, but the rest of Europe has yet to follow suit. Probably a bunch of reasons the idea didn't spread, many of which are in this thread.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I think Portugal legalized almost all narcotics, but the rest of Europe has yet to follow suit. Probably a bunch of reasons the idea didn't spread, many of which are in this thread.
Of course...large cities with large police forces, rely on a certain percentage of crime, what would the US do if they all the sudden didnt have many criminals anymore? 80% of the prison cells would be empty, police depts would have their budgets slashed, staffing would be cut way down, etc etc.

As Ive said before, without drug laws, law enforcement in the US would become largely irrelevant and fall into obscurity, they really need drug laws or something like it, that guarantees, a large number of people are going to break these laws over and over again, drug laws are PERFECT for that!

I dont know about anyone else on here, but it personally disgusts me, that my govt is colluding with foreign drug cartels and creating laws that benefit them and help grow their profits!

Old 01-22-2020, 01:05 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
No, I think you misunderstand...if you remove the drug laws, the crime will go with it...look at when alcohol prohibition ended...the criminal alcohol market dissolved after alcohol became legal again...look around today, how much alcohol related crime do you hear about? How about black market alcohol?

Once it was legal and legitimate companies started supplying it, there was no place for the criminals anymore.

Keeping the drug laws in place will ensure drug related crimes, like theft and robbery continue.
Legal or not if someone can't work they steal to buy drugs.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:59 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
You might change your mind after a stoner runs your butt over on the street. If you don't, you are a slow learner.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Legal or not if someone can't work they steal to buy drugs.
Plenty of people that cannot work drink alcohol...Do we see a huge problem with alcohol related crime? Ive never ever heard of any.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
You might change your mind after a stoner runs your butt over on the street. If you don't, you are a slow learner.
Why would that make a difference, plenty of drunks run people over in their cars (or run into other cars while drunk), and yet alcohol remains easily accessible to anyone 21 and over...NO ONE even suggests tougher laws or restrictions!

There is definitely a double standard when it comes alcohol and drugs, when drugs are involved in a crime or accident, it seems like the law wants to punish the drug industry, doctor, manufacturer, etc, but when its alcohol, no one even talks about trying different things...its very strange

Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Plenty of people that cannot work drink alcohol...Do we see a huge problem with alcohol related crime? Ive never ever heard of any.
Their habit isn't $300/day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates