Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 04:48 PM

181 posts, read 166,656 times

Advertisements

A casual conversation in a coffee shop: an unhappy-looking woman, a retired teacher, lamented the lack of "a rainbow of cultures" in the city. That was the reason she had left the city and lived elsewhere for a number of years.

This got me thinking on the subject of diversity. For centuries, people have increased their appreciation of other cultures by traveling. "Well travelled" refers to somebody who's gained a perspective on the world by having seen its diversity. In order to better internalize the rainbow of cultures, I'd travel to some more countries. My instinct would be that, as opposed to willing to bring said rainbow to my doorstep - and finding my city lacking if this desire is not fulfilled.

In summary, I'm not one to dispute the necessity of multicultural awareness, but I fail to see the imperative of bringing diversity "here, now". Other than for convenience (of not having to travel), why desire this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 05:27 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
People say they like "diversity" because they've told they're supposed to like it. The reality is that most people like to be around other people with which they have something in common. Traveling is nice but so is coming home. IMO there's way too much emphasis on how and why people are different, and not enough on the things that pull people together. Without the glue to pull people together, societies break apart. People who keep pushing "diversity" as a brainless mantra are very ignorant of history.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:30 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post

...... In summary, I'm not one to dispute the necessity of multicultural awareness, but I fail to see the imperative of bringing diversity "here, now". Other than for convenience (of not having to travel), why desire this?

I don't believe there is presently any imperative of bringing diversity to any place "here, now". However, advantages I can already see occurring from promoting diversity would be the benefits of increased hybrid vigour in future generations as well as the elimination of racism and xenophobic bigotry.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:47 AM

384 posts, read 229,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't believe there is presently any imperative of bringing diversity to any place "here, now". However, advantages I can already see occurring from promoting diversity would be the benefits of increased hybrid vigour in future generations as well as the elimination of racism and xenophobic bigotry.

And that is exactly what the anti-diversity bunch is really afraid of... then ending of said bigotry they cling to.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:53 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Theirs also the cultural and economic impact in terms of America on other countries. Americans from the Philippines or of descent have a huge cultural and economic impact over there which allows for American products to gain a foothold in that market and vice versa. Mercantilism, and trading city-states where often prosperous economically and diverse for that reason as their tied in with each other.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:43 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I wouldn't just view diversity in terms of race and culture -- it's also about different ways of thinking. Lack of diverse input creates sterile monocultures that lack creativity and drive, ultimately being left behind. Too much diversity can cause chaos and conflict. It's a matter of finding the right balance.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Do people who start these "diversity" threads ever actually read the other "diversity" threads first? (Rhetorical question)

That's an interesting theory, if you want diversity you should be willing to go get it elsewhere instead of wanting it to come to you. Amazon would have never made it off the ground if that was applied to shopping as well.

Diversity can seem like an annoyance when you are in the majority. However, when you're in the minority, it's helpful not to be the only member (or one of the few) of your demographic, and therefore be more likely to be overruled, dismissed, ignored, expected to represent your entire demographic, etc.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:21 PM

574 posts, read 382,791 times
My only real issue with some preaching diversity is that some seem to want it "forced" for the lack of a better term. As far as I'm concerned, let it come naturally as opposed to preaching it to everyone repeatedly

Old 01-27-2020, 01:36 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
In summary, I'm not one to dispute the necessity of multicultural awareness, but I fail to see the imperative of bringing diversity "here, now". Other than for convenience (of not having to travel), why desire this?
Nothing wrong with that,
same as people that want more stores, more trees, more buildings, more parks, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

That's called wishful thinking .... some people remain wishing, others go and find what they want.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmagpie View Post
My only real issue with some preaching diversity is that some seem to want it "forced" for the lack of a better term. As far as I'm concerned, let it come naturally as opposed to preaching it to everyone repeatedly

You could look at it the other way too. There are some who are so terrified of diversity that they will repeatedly preach and do everything they can think of to discourage it and thus prevent it from happening naturally.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates