Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 12:56 PM

12,870 posts, read 9,096,668 times

Advertisements

It won't go away soon because it's a great trump card liberals like to pull. Have a disagreement? Just call the other side "racist" (or any of the other "ists") and you automatically win. You get to denounce the other persons position; the other person; and show your own virtue in one grand "you're a racist" exclamation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 02:15 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
After seeing thread after thread with "blacks" (or much less often)"whites" in the title -- and much more often in posts -- when do you think that people in the U.S. will stop identifying people by skin color when giving their opinions about an issue?

Imo, this can't come too soon, but I honestly don't think it will happen for another 25 years, at least.

What is your opinion?
What do I think? That this is yet another unanswerable question...which I suppose also makes it perfect for a great debates forum.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:48 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,047,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
After seeing thread after thread with "blacks" (or much less often)"whites" in the title -- and much more often in posts -- when do you think that people in the U.S. will stop identifying people by skin color when giving their opinions about an issue?

Imo, this can't come too soon, but I honestly don't think it will happen for another 25 years, at least.

What is your opinion?

I always say "when all the little babies are born various shades of brown."

Old 01-31-2020, 03:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,039,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It won't go away soon because it's a great trump card liberals like to pull. Have a disagreement? Just call the other side "racist" (or any of the other "ists") and you automatically win. You get to denounce the other persons position; the other person; and show your own virtue in one grand "you're a racist" exclamation.
They "automatically win" because you LET them win.

For years - decades even, the mere threat of accusing someone of "The Dreaded R" has been enough to shut down most any discussion and put opponents on the defensive. "What?? I swear I'm not a racist! Some of my best friends are..."

And liberals tuned into that early on and then started using it to their advantage. Sure, it was probably well meaning at first, but then it became a tool.. or weapon even. And it became really bad when Obama was first elected too. Disagree with any of his policies and "you just hate him because he's black."

I was once called a racist because I said I didn't really care for James Brown. List Miles Davis, Richard Pryor, Dave Chappelle, or any other black entertainer that you DO like though, and it doesn't even matter.. You don't like James Brown because he's black.

So then what do you do? Do you continue to cower in fear and backpedal over a baseless accusation? Or do you stand up to it and say "So what?"

An empty accusation does not a guilty person make. Think about it..

Old 01-31-2020, 03:24 PM

19,087 posts, read 27,667,472 times
Color related issues are relatively new. Few centuries ago, racism was non existent. People were judged by their character and behavior, not by skin color.
Race related issues, racism in particular, were literally forced onto certain countries and races.

It serves well good old principle of the mighty

DIVIDE ET IMPERA.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:55 PM

7,291 posts, read 5,173,859 times
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.....Good advice 500 yrs ago. Good advice today.

If you ostracize yourself by ethnic language, clothing styles and actions out in the business/public world, you're limiting your chances for opportunity, acceptance and success. Times have changed greatly over the last 50 yrs. It's not skin color, for the most part, that leads to prejudice anymore, but behavior.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

[Now don't ask me any more questions. That's all the Shakespeare quotes I know.]

Old 01-31-2020, 04:05 PM

19,850 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Some very good and/or interesting answers here. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2020, 04:41 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,550,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
They "automatically win" because you LET them win.

For years - decades even, the mere threat of accusing someone of "The Dreaded R" has been enough to shut down most any discussion and put opponents on the defensive. "What?? I swear I'm not a racist! Some of my best friends are..."

And liberals tuned into that early on and then started using it to their advantage. Sure, it was probably well meaning at first, but then it became a tool.. or weapon even. And it became really bad when Obama was first elected too. Disagree with any of his policies and "you just hate him because he's black."

I was once called a racist because I said I didn't really care for James Brown. List Miles Davis, Richard Pryor, Dave Chappelle, or any other black entertainer that you DO like though, and it doesn't even matter.. You don't like James Brown because he's black.

So then what do you do? Do you continue to cower in fear and backpedal over a baseless accusation? Or do you stand up to it and say "So what?"

An empty accusation does not a guilty person make. Think about it..
Yep. And they've even gone so far as to create stories about how people who are from the wrong part of the country and/or voted for the wrong opponent are racist, just to try to prove themselves right. (see: Covington...which backfired spectacularly, but not before causing irreversible damage.)

Last edited by Radical347; 01-31-2020 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
From 1870 to 1968 You had Jim Crow Era laws that told a group of people in this country, they were not equal, they can not assimilate.
"Redlining" existed all the way up to the early 1990's is some areas of the country.

I say we are at lease another 60 years away.
As my dad use to say to me

"Don't treat your little brother, and sister bad, and then wonder why they grow up to constantly punch you in the face"

That's my dad for you

Old 01-31-2020, 05:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
It will stop when one political party stops using race - let alone religion, gender, sexual orientation and identity, as well as national origin - as a wedge issue and gives the socially marginalized incentives to vote for them other than pointing at economic trends that were largely established under a previous term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates