Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 12:14 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm guessing this has been going on for 2-3 years now, Ortho's steering everyone to yet another bureaucracy, Pain Management Clinics. That happened a couple years ago when living in Las Vegas, when my Ortho refused to write a Prescript for me for pain in my neck/shoulders. He told me that as of 1/1 he wasn't even allowed to write a prescript for pain.

I have since moved to Tucson and, being so close to the Border, you'll never see me step inside one of these clinics here in Tucson, and given the proximity to Mexico, I'm astounded that they even have these clinics here. Who uses them?

It's always been clear to me that any prescript written by a Mexican Dr. is acceptable at the Border.

Luckier are those living in San Diego or El Paso.

Here's the thing: by law a person cannot carry a prescription for a pain killer over the border to America.

"You cannot bring back narcotics of any class"

https://www.hillcriminaldefense.com/...ription-drugs/

To top that off opioid medications the DEA schedules as Schedule 2 are scarce, if non-existent, in Mexico. Tylenol 4 with a minuscule amount of codeine might be available there but it would be less effective than an OTC ibuprofen here. So even if you manage to coerce a doctor in Mexico to write a prescription for an opioid a pharmacy is likely going to say, "We have no such medication, senor." A Mexican doctor is more than happy to write you a prescription he knows cannot be filled in Mexico just to take your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 01:34 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Not everyone can tolerate pain. There are medications to reduce pain, and give relief. What bothers some people is the "euphoric side effect". Why is this of their concern? Pain medications, even strong ones, diminish pain. they seldom erase it. The euphoric side effect is a positive thing, as I see it.
I think you might be wrong there. The euphoric side effect is what leads people to addiction with pain killers. I think that is exactly when you should stop taking them. My experience with pain killers is they should not kill pain, just make it tolerable, bring the pain down from a 10 to a 6. I have been prescribed painkillers in the hospital and after surgeries and only used them to make the pain tolerable. When the pain was down to a 6 without the drugs, I stopped taking them. The last time I took a painkiller after a tooth extraction it really gave me that euphoric feeling. I didn't take another. I think this is the type of education that is missing. Instead of a prescription that says here's 20 pills, take one every 6 hours (and enjoy), it should say, take every 6 hours if pain is unbearable, until pain is bearable but still present without them, then stop.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:16 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I think you might be wrong there. The euphoric side effect is what leads people to addiction with pain killers. I think that is exactly when you should stop taking them. My experience with pain killers is they should not kill pain, just make it tolerable, bring the pain down from a 10 to a 6. I have been prescribed painkillers in the hospital and after surgeries and only used them to make the pain tolerable. When the pain was down to a 6 without the drugs, I stopped taking them. The last time I took a painkiller after a tooth extraction it really gave me that euphoric feeling. I didn't take another. I think this is the type of education that is missing. Instead of a prescription that says here's 20 pills, take one every 6 hours (and enjoy), it should say, take every 6 hours if pain is unbearable, until pain is bearable but still present without them, then stop.

Mine reduced my pain from 10/10 to about 7/10. I have never, ever had a euphoric feeling from Percoset. The only time I had that feeling from a legit medication (as opposed to recreational drugs when I was young) was when I had my appendix removed 3+ decades ago and they gave me morphine injections.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:

The euphoric feeling shouldn't be the goal. The goal is to get the pain reduced to a mild level and frankly if a person is only getting to 7/10 down from 10/10 they are probably one of these individuals who don't metabolize the meds properly and so should be taking opioids, and for these people I truly feel sorry because there is no more effective way to control pain than with narcotics. The secondary goal is not to get 'high" but just get relaxed the way a tranquilizer would work, except that tranquilizers don't kill pain.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Just speaking from my own experience. Getting a euphoric or even a very relaxed feeling is probably why some people get addicted. And if your pain is a 10, and an opiate gets you to a 6 or a 7, then it is needed and welcome. If your pain is a 6 or a 7 after it wears off, you really don't need an opiate, a tylenol will work pretty well. You may want one, but you don't need it and are better off without it.

When I was in hospital a hydrocodone was offered every six hours. Sometimes the last hour was bad, because it had worn off after 5 hours, but I dealt with it. Sometimes when the 6 hours was up I told the nurse I didn't need it, I'd ask for it when I needed it. Then the 6 hour clock started again when I got one. I've read that people very rarely get addicted to opiates they get in the hospital.

I've never been addicted to opiates but when I got that heavenly feeling and all the pain was gone and I was in a state of bliss, I can see how easy it would be for someone to get addicted, especially if they think that is what the pill is supposed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The euphoric feeling shouldn't be the goal. The goal is to get the pain reduced to a mild level and frankly if a person is only getting to 7/10 down from 10/10 they are probably one of these individuals who don't metabolize the meds properly and so should be taking opioids, and for these people I truly feel sorry because there is no more effective way to control pain than with narcotics. The secondary goal is not to get 'high" but just get relaxed the way a tranquilizer would work, except that tranquilizers don't kill pain.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Just speaking from my own experience. Getting a euphoric or even a very relaxed feeling is probably why some people get addicted. And if your pain is a 10, and an opiate gets you to a 6 or a 7, then it is needed and welcome. If your pain is a 6 or a 7 after it wears off, you really don't need an opiate, a tylenol will work pretty well. You may want one, but you don't need it and are better off without it.

When I was in hospital a hydrocodone was offered every six hours. Sometimes the last hour was bad, because it had worn off after 5 hours, but I dealt with it. Sometimes when the 6 hours was up I told the nurse I didn't need it, I'd ask for it when I needed it. Then the 6 hour clock started again when I got one. I've read that people very rarely get addicted to opiates they get in the hospital.

I've never been addicted to opiates but when I got that heavenly feeling and all the pain was gone and I was in a state of bliss, I can see how easy it would be for someone to get addicted, especially if they think that is what the pill is supposed to do.
This is a big part of the problem the way I see it, whose business is it of anyone else to tell me what " I need and do not need' as far as pain relief goes? (that is between a patient and their doctor!!!!!!!) Why should I listen to what they saying now anyway? (they have been wrong nearly every time in the past, whose to say they are not wrong now?)

I would advise people to remember 'Reefer Madness' and how they tried to make everyone believe Marijuana was so incredibly dangerous and deadly...they are using the same tactic against opioids today, cmon people, we are smarter than to be fooled like this twice!

This is what they do folks...in the days of Reefer Madness, they demonized Marijuana as a way to control certain minorities...today, its opioids that are dangerous (well, the real reason is because they were becoming too much competition for cartel supplied drugs)...You see how there is always 'another secret reason'? They are pathetic, they cannot even come up with something new!!

Last edited by rstevens62; 02-06-2020 at 09:38 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:

I was in the hospital for a week once. I got a pain med my first night only so I knew the feeling it produced. After that every time I asked for the pain med I never got that pain relieve again. My nurse was stealing my meds. It's a big problem in hospitals, nurses stealing pain meds from patients and injecting them into themselves.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
America- where instant relief is the norm.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:51 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I doubt everyone in Europe is in pain. People like to compare us to them when it fits their agenda. Why aren't people asking why do we need more than others?

80% used in the US. That hasn't been addressed in this thread. The cancer patients I know are still getting their drugs with no problem. Less pills per script but still getting them.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I doubt everyone in Europe is in pain. People like to compare us to them when it fits their agenda. Why aren't people asking why do we need more than others?

80% used in the US. That hasn't been addressed in this thread. The cancer patients I know are still getting their drugs with no problem. Less pills per script but still getting them.

If they are, they are getting them supplied through a pharmacy that deals with hospice patients like my mother. Here's how it works: hospice organizations (who get $7500/mo from Medicare to supply all the hospice patients needs and pocket the difference) contact a small pharmacy (never a big chain like CVS or Walgreen) and say, "We will order all our clients meds through you BUT you must be willing to fill opioids when our hospice doctor prescribes them. Agreed?"

You see, a hospice patient has the right to switch hospices anytime s/he wants and if a patient says to the hospice director, "If I don't get my pain meds I am going to another hospice and you lose all that money!" Well, you can imagine the scare that puts into the administration, so they get on their staff and scream, "Get this client his pain meds or we lose the Medicare and you guys look for another job!"

So if the people you know are getting their pain meds I bet you dimes to donuts these people are on hospice. Like I always say, "FOLLOW THE MONEY!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates