Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 09:33 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
Very true. I have Chronic Kidney Disease because I took Ibuprofen (Motrin,Advil) a few times a week for a few years. I would have been better off taking that Vicodin.
I recently had some kind of super flu and the headache was unbearable. I was taking the max amount of Tylenol so I asked if I could get some with codeine just so I could sleep better. Nope. I just had to suffer. And if I ruined my liver with Tylenol too bad. Luckily it was only a week. But for people who have pain for longer it's cruel to deny them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 07:45 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
That was a legitimate question. Someone said they thought patients ought to be able to decide for themselves. I disagree. Doctors who prescribe opioids are certainly more familiar with, or at least much more wary of the potential for patients to become addicted. I for one think it's just as cruel to create an addict from a patient who doesn't have permanent debilitating pain issues. I definitely don't see putting the decisions into the hands of patients as a solution.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:56 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It's not ethical for them to permit patients to suffer. That's what drives them to go to drug dealers and end up ODing on bad drugs.
At that point it'd make more sense to allow opioids to be sold over the counter, rather than forcing doctors to be complicit in feeding people's addictions and/or pill re-selling.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:22 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband chopped off the tip of his finger several years ago and is a big guy. He's a muscular 6'5 and weighs about 255. Not fat at all.

His dosage was on pill (hydrocodone or something) every four to six hours for pain. He took them every four hours. With ten pills, he finished them off in 40 hours as opposed to 60 hours which would have been a day later.

When we went to get the script refilled, we were treated like addicts.

Since it was a Sunday and we couldn't get in touch with his MD and he was in a lot of pain, one of our friends, an end stage cancer patient, gave him the pain meds to get him to his doctor's Monday (for some reason all of our doctor friends were out of town).

It was humiliating to be treated so badly.

That's terrible. I know how it feels to be treated like that. For years, when I would go to my doctor complaining about headaches and shoulder pain, she would just say to take Ibuprofen and Tylenol. And it got to the point when I would take that and the pains would just not stop. I decided to go to a chiropractor and he took an xray. There were bones that had fused on a nerve. I told my wife that it is a shame that they treat everyone as an addict. Even more so, to do testing to see what is the cause, instead of putting a bandaid on it disguised as ibuprofen.

Well we got tired of it. I went get medical marijuana for chronic pain and PTSD. Still doing the chiropractic sessions. Ever since I've been on mm and doing the bone cracking, my life has been turned around. Began enjoying life and also doing more hobbies.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That was a legitimate question. Someone said they thought patients ought to be able to decide for themselves. I disagree. Doctors who prescribe opioids are certainly more familiar with, or at least much more wary of the potential for patients to become addicted. I for one think it's just as cruel to create an addict from a patient who doesn't have permanent debilitating pain issues. I definitely don't see putting the decisions into the hands of patients as a solution.
I don't think doctors are at all "more familiar", or more "wary" of the possibility of addiction..not at all.
Its absolutely cruel to let a patient suffer when you know the gold standard of pain killer is being denied them.
Not all patients become addicts following a course of opioid pain killers...only a very small percentage do, (3% according to Harvard Medical school doctors)and that really is their own choice...just like the alcoholic who cant control his drinking..Many people drink, but we're not all alcoholics, and we aren't denying anyone THAT drug!

Last edited by purehuman; 07-10-2021 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-10-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
In Redondo Beach, CA a few years ago a woman killed several in front of church around Christmas time. She was on medication - and I think that SCARED me more than anything. I did not want to be that poor woman. https://www.scpr.org/news/2014/12/19...ar-old-boy-ha/
What medication was she on???
Most people take some kind of medication,(without even a concern for possible side effects)
My guess would be antidepressants...doctors are big on those these days.
I guess it's to help you deal with the fact that you can't get anything for your pain unless it's tylenol.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
At that point it'd make more sense to allow opioids to be sold over the counter, rather than forcing doctors to be complicit in feeding people's addictions and/or pill re-selling.
Why can't doctors just be doctors and do what they know is best?
Why does the gov have to get involved with legitimate patients medical problems?
Why should doctors have to be afraid to prescribe what they know would help their patient best?

Old 07-10-2021, 09:47 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't think doctors are at all "more familiar", or more "wary" of the possibility of addiction..not at all.
Its absolutely cruel to let a patient suffer when you know the gold standard of pain killer is being denied them.
Not all patients become addicts following a course of opioid pain killers...only a very small percentage do, (3% according to Harvard Medical school doctors)and that really is their own choice...just like the alcoholic who cant control his drinking..Many people drink, but we're not all alcoholics, and we aren't denying anyone THAT drug!
So you think a doctor should prescribe and let a patient who has become dependent decide whether they need more of the drug they have become dependent on? I don't think someone who is under the influence of such drugs should get to decide whether or not they 'need' them, just like bartenders don't let drunks at the bar decide whether they've had enough for the night.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:43 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Where does Prednisone fall in the pain relief spectrum? I have several boxes but am apprehensive about taking them due to side effects.

The pain I get is occasionally sudden stabs due to shoulder bone spurs and it seems like a quick stab would not be alleviated by pain pills....aren't they more for dull-ache type of conditions?

I was prescribed opioids back in 2016 so is this a recent development?

They aren't even available anywhere down here.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:57 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes but legitimate pain patients are going to fall through the cracks. There are people who need those opiates simply to survive another day. I was on them for about eight or nine months before and immediately after back surgery, and I can tell you I would not have survived if I did not have them. They are not dangerous to everyone, I had no problems at all stopping them.

Rates of suicide have skyrocketed in the last couple of years, and I am sure that a good chunk of that is chronic pain patients who were suddenly no longer able to relieve their pain any other way.

I too have a situation where I have chronic pain,(to skip all the details) and I have been on opinds for the last 4 years.

Depending on the person they can be deadly, but others, such as myself, they are a godsend, like the poster above stated, some of us need them to survive another day..

Luckily, my pain is a no rhyme or reason, weather doesn't matter, I have tried thinking of anything that causes it to be more painful one day than another, but point is, if I'm not feeling the pain, I don't even take the pill. I had discussed this with my doctor regarding pain, and asked, if I'm on a pain pill, how will I know if there is no pain and not to take the pill. He replied with, oh, you'll know.

So, I'm thinking this is what he meant, because I have a time schedule where I'd take one, and there are a great many times that the afternoon one I'm not in pain and therefore don't even think about taking the pill, and since they make it hard to sleep, I won't take a pill after 3pm, the latest, and I have to be in really severe pain to take it. I work in an office, so I cannot be in pain during the course of the workday, at home its a different story.

I know there are a lot of people that are addicted to them, maybe I am and don't even now it, but, I don't get crazy if I have none left and the script isn't due to a week or so later or whatever the delay....

The thing that gets me thru is the doctor saying, you had a bad day today, but you'll have better days, think of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates