Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 12:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Our millennial daughter and I were discussing this today. She is all about gender fluidity and undefined gender identity. Since I was a tomboy growing up and to this day do not own a pair of heels or a cocktail dress, I can see not liking stereotyping genders. I dunno, each generation tries to upset the apple cart of preconceived ways of interpreting the world around them. I am certainly glad we are not living in the Victorian Era.
Heels or a cocktail dress have nothing to do with being a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 03:51 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
There are only two -- men and women. There are certainly many ways to be each, however, like a man crossdressing as a woman, that's not new, or a woman acting like a stereotypical man, and who cares? None of that is anyone's business but theirs. But we don't need to pretend there are 100 genders, because science disagrees. For as much as the left pounds away at "the science says..." when it's convenient for them -- i.e. global warming -- they certainly throw it out faster than you can say "shazaam" whenever it doesn't fit their idiotic PC social justice warrior agenda. It's a complete joke, and absolute hypocrisy. Both political parties are frankly full of hypocrisy, though, including how republicans are supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility, but never manage to balance the budget, either. Or how republicans like to say they're about small government and personal responsibility, but want to ban abortions and make that the government's business. So I'm not shaming one party over another, but the blatant hypocrisy you see on both sides is downright laughable.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:49 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times

Old 02-06-2020, 05:17 AM

922 posts, read 791,693 times
There are two genders, male and female. Period. Sexual preference is not a gender. Nature is made of these two genders for the purpose of procreation. What you identify as does not change anything biologically. A man who identifies as a woman is still biologically a male, and vice versa.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:07 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,528 times
I'm older and I know male, female, transgender, lesbian, gay, bi, but when it comes to other ways of identifying I usually wind up googling it so I understand. I get lost with so many different kinds and Google is my friend

Old 02-06-2020, 09:44 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
And you know its only a matter of time before a amicagender boss wont hire a anxiegender, or a axigender restaurant wont serve a caelgender.Will collgenders have to sit at the back of the bus??Will there be dryagender drinking fountains in the south??
So far it has only been people of two particular genders who have refused to have anything to do with any others.

Making up imaginary scenarios as if it proves a point is just dumb.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:35 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
*sigh*

So I have my own position on these things, and I just really don't care what anybody says that they are, I'll go with it. It's YOUR identity. In every aspect. But then, I go to the extreme that I actually do not believe in objective reality and objective truth. I believe that everything is just any individual's perception and experience, like 7.8 billion bubbles of human reality all floating around bumping against each other. You can think, say, believe, whatever you like in your bubble. I'm not gonna sit here and argue that the reality I see is the one that everybody has to agree that they also sees. That will never happen.

I see this as realistic because I know how people are. I'm not gonna change anyone's mind about anything. Might as well respect whatever they think, it's what they think.

But this one cuts both ways. I accept that a bunch of people strongly believe in God, or believe that there are only 2 genders, they believe that trans people, non-binary people, anyone who doesn't fit with their worldview, is insane, or maybe even evil or something. OK. Some people think that. I won't change their mind by arguing with them. My agreement or disagreement is immaterial to their perception of the world.

I also accept that someone says that they are whatever they are, even if they were not born that, or it's a new thing, or it's an idea that challenges me a bit. I believe very strongly in autonomy, and this is part of that. I'll do my best to refer to anybody as they wish, if I care about my relationship with them.

That last bit is pretty important. Because the people I find distasteful, I simply don't engage with. And I would really like if both sides of issues like this, and other things, would let that sink in. You can deny someone the pleasure of your friendship and your company. Getting upset and yelling at them... It helps nothing. It just gets your blood pressure up. So the friend I know whose mother refuses to accept his transition, has shut his mother out of his life. Which has also denied his mother access to her Grandchildren. If Grandma wants to do something about that, I guess she can go to court for her familial rights, or she could play along regardless of what she believes, or she can sit at home alone and suck an egg.

I don't care who you are, you're not going to get everyone in the world to agree with you. Or respect you. Or treat you the way you want them to. You won't rid the world of bullies, jerks, traditionalists, authoritarians, or whatever.

And I get kind of tired, when there are more meaningful fights to fight, more significant degrees of human suffering to be worked against, than the micro-aggressions, misgendering, and dead-naming that a person suffers from some d-bag who gets kicks out of making others feel bad. If nothing else, that person just outed themselves as an uncaring jerk, told on themselves, and can now be avoided appropriately. Great, let's move on and try to work out what to do about actual violence, starvation, unlawful incarceration, and a hundred other serious injustices that people are dealing with right now.

And for a lot of you here, I'm just like...so some people are using words you've never heard of to describe things you don't think are real. Why do you care? I mean you seem to be in some distress over this, as often as it comes up, and as salty as people get about it. I think it's silly that some people seem to believe that Hogwarts houses are real. So effing what? Oh, oh, I have an opinion, must alert the internet! An opinion! We've got an opinion over here! See, no one cares.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:39 PM

71 posts, read 51,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
*sigh*

So I have my own position on these things, and I just really don't care what anybody says that they are, I'll go with it. It's YOUR identity. In every aspect. But then, I go to the extreme that I actually do not believe in objective reality and objective truth. I believe that everything is just any individual's perception and experience, like 7.8 billion bubbles of human reality all floating around bumping against each other. You can think, say, believe, whatever you like in your bubble. I'm not gonna sit here and argue that the reality I see is the one that everybody has to agree that they also sees. That will never happen.

I see this as realistic because I know how people are. I'm not gonna change anyone's mind about anything. Might as well respect whatever they think, it's what they think.

But this one cuts both ways. I accept that a bunch of people strongly believe in God, or believe that there are only 2 genders, they believe that trans people, non-binary people, anyone who doesn't fit with their worldview, is insane, or maybe even evil or something. OK. Some people think that. I won't change their mind by arguing with them. My agreement or disagreement is immaterial to their perception of the world.

I also accept that someone says that they are whatever they are, even if they were not born that, or it's a new thing, or it's an idea that challenges me a bit. I believe very strongly in autonomy, and this is part of that. I'll do my best to refer to anybody as they wish, if I care about my relationship with them.

That last bit is pretty important. Because the people I find distasteful, I simply don't engage with. And I would really like if both sides of issues like this, and other things, would let that sink in. You can deny someone the pleasure of your friendship and your company. Getting upset and yelling at them... It helps nothing. It just gets your blood pressure up. So the friend I know whose mother refuses to accept his transition, has shut his mother out of his life. Which has also denied his mother access to her Grandchildren. If Grandma wants to do something about that, I guess she can go to court for her familial rights, or she could play along regardless of what she believes, or she can sit at home alone and suck an egg.

I don't care who you are, you're not going to get everyone in the world to agree with you. Or respect you. Or treat you the way you want them to. You won't rid the world of bullies, jerks, traditionalists, authoritarians, or whatever.

And I get kind of tired, when there are more meaningful fights to fight, more significant degrees of human suffering to be worked against, than the micro-aggressions, misgendering, and dead-naming that a person suffers from some d-bag who gets kicks out of making others feel bad. If nothing else, that person just outed themselves as an uncaring jerk, told on themselves, and can now be avoided appropriately. Great, let's move on and try to work out what to do about actual violence, starvation, unlawful incarceration, and a hundred other serious injustices that people are dealing with right now.

And for a lot of you here, I'm just like...so some people are using words you've never heard of to describe things you don't think are real. Why do you care? I mean you seem to be in some distress over this, as often as it comes up, and as salty as people get about it. I think it's silly that some people seem to believe that Hogwarts houses are real. So effing what? Oh, oh, I have an opinion, must alert the internet! An opinion! We've got an opinion over here! See, no one cares.
And you would have a valid point if we were just talking about words or opinions. We aren't. There are real consequences for these ideas as they become part of law. You WILL allow your teen daughter to share a restroom with a 40-year-old man who wears a dress. You WILL allow your ex-wife to inject your 7-year-old son with hormones. You WILL allow your male employees to wear heels. Your daughter WILL have to compete against male athletes and that's going to be considered fair. This represents a tangible impact upon our society.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:46 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Once again anyone who disagrees is told they are a fearful hater. I am so tired of that. I don't hate change, I fear nothing but God's wrath and the issues I have don't revolve around some made up gender identity.

Here is what I hate. Being told I have to believe in garbage based science claiming there are hundreds of genders, when I can plainly see there are two sexes. Gender is a term commonly used to identify the sex of the person being described. Even the Dictionary that pops up on google, a liberal propaganda search engine says there are two sexes. Per Google Dictionary:

either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
"a condition that affects people of both genders"

I am sick of being told that just because I wont cave in to political SJW pressure to acknowledge the endless string of supposed identities, that I fear them. I don't fear them, I disagree with them. I notice everyone says they can do what they want when talking about gays or transgender, but they never say that about God fearing Christians who choose to believe the natural order they follow is the correct one.

What gays/trans want to call themselves is their business, but what I want to call them is mine. And, I am not calling a guy in a dress ma'am, no matter what pressure I get. That isn't fear of them, or fear of change, it is conviction in my belief.

That was quite the rant.

Did you even look at the list?

I don't think anyone is expecting you to somehow memorize the list, and know what someone I.D.'s with.

It's a pretty long list. I read most of it. I'm like "Ok. Sure. Whatever. You be you."

Old 02-06-2020, 02:31 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
It's a list on someone's blog, anyone taking it seriously needs to retake their middle school class on reliable authoritative sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates