Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 04:20 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 14 days ago)

34,454 posts, read 16,543,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
OK. I will tell you that I went to play tennis this morning, then came home for a nap and then to synagogue for an afternoon lecture. Then to the post office to mail a letter, then back home.

Tomorrow I go to work in NYC, then to Court in White Plains, then to work in the White Plains office. There, you didn't need my ankle monitor.
My obvious point being it that most law-abiding people don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 07:06 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,061,623 times
Guess I’ll have to leave my phone behind if I break into the Oval Office!
Seriously, how does this information affect retirees?

Old 02-10-2020, 07:14 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,083,786 times
So what else is new?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 AM

7,936 posts, read 7,287,495 times
The difference between a smart phone and an ankle monitor is that you can choose not to have a smart phone, or you can choose not to carry it around everywhere, etc.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:36 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,593,457 times
We trade phones all the time so that should be confusing. Why is my teenage daughter at a bar. Why is mom at the kiddies roller rink. Why is junior hunting deer.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:18 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,892,618 times
Ok. So what? Why is this a problem?

The benefits of modern technology far outweigh the downsides. Is this just more people who didn't understand how technology works suddenly getting afraid over nothing?

Old 02-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 14 days ago)

34,454 posts, read 16,543,954 times
Quote:
Quote:
OK. I will tell you that I went to play tennis this morning, then came home for a nap and then to synagogue for an afternoon lecture. Then to the post office to mail a letter, then back home.

Tomorrow I go to work in NYC, then to Court in White Plains, then to work in the White Plains office. There, you didn't need my ankle monitor.
My obvious point being it that most law-abiding people don't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The difference between a smart phone and an ankle monitor is that you can choose not to have a smart phone, or you can choose not to carry it around everywhere, etc.
The other difference is that the ankle monitor is tracking places that the wearer is not permitted to go; presumably a free man with a phone is pursuing legal activity. So knowing, for example, that I am in New York City at any given moment does not give the Trump administration any information they can use.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:54 AM

14,811 posts, read 11,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The performance artist pulling a little red wagon on a street with 99 cell phones in it and turned on, showed up as a traffic jam on Google maps. Better mousetraps only last so long before they are thwarted.

I’m not worried.
I'm laughing my head off at the image.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:13 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,505,725 times
People rather have technology no matter that it tracks, monitors everything and data mines all activity. Government gives away millions of these tracking data mining surveillance devices because they know people don't care. We make it easy for the Police State...

Old 02-10-2020, 11:15 AM

8,296 posts, read 3,867,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainUp View Post
If your cell phone has a battery, you can be tracked, even if it has 'no signal', even if it is turned off. Doesn't matter if it's a 'flip phone' or anything else, and it certainly doesn't matter if you select the little 'no tracking' option in your privacy settings, the only thing that does stop reporting your tracking information within the apps TO YOU - but I assure you, they still have access to it. Reminds me of (but not exactly) the crosswalk button that isn't hooked up to anything. It seems the ONLY way to maybe avoid tracking is changing phone and sim cards EVERY PHONE CALL... but even then... they could likely piece it together by who you call, or eventually, voice recognition. It is how it is, this is the new life Orwell described very well, deal with it and move on, ohhh, and don't be doing any crimes. haha
Yes and most importantly, don't say anything against the Great Leader. Because to the Corporate State that is the greatest crime of all isn't it? This is the only "issue" that really matters here in 2020. It's amazing that so many responding here are flippant about it. That simply do not comprehend how the enormous database of information that is stacked against your SSN will be used to determine EXACTLY how dangerous your thoughts really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates