Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 12:05 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

Yes, it’s called desensitization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 01:56 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yes, it’s called desensitization.

I think a good example of this is the film "Doctor Sleep". I bought the DVD a few days ago and was looking forward to updating the old Stephen King story. It was creepy from the outset, but that's okay. But then the film showed the torture and murder of a child...and that crossed a line for me. I turned off the DVD and threw it in the trash.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:25 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I think media can shape attitudes - for example, if people are commonly exposed to content that portrays a particular demographic in a negative way, they might care less about whether that demographic is mistreated, and people who have pre-existing violent tendencies might feel emboldened to act against that group.

I also think violent media can give people who already have violent proclivities ideas for what sort of violence to commit. But it's not like there are any shortage of other sources of inspiration for that.

Overall I think violent media is much more a mirror than a catalyst.

I don't think it can turn someone decent into someone indecent.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:32 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
In films, gratuitous violence, like gratuitous sex, is obscene.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And let's not forget song lyrics. Remember the filthy fifteen, back in the 80's? Although that was more about sex, drugs and rock n roll, as opposed to violence.
Totally. That was another ridiculous thing.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:21 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I also think if a person is predisposed to violence they might get some ideas from certain movies.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:46 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Oh...I don't know.

I kind of think people like scary and creepy movies for the thrill of the scare. Which is similar to the thrill of a roller coaster ride, or something like that. That jump or startle, but then you know you're safe. But I don't think it's necessarily for everyone.

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but my husband likes horror movies, and so sometimes, I'm a 'captive audience'. SOME stuff just creeps me out too much. Like the show American Horror Story. That show seriously spooks me and gives me nightmares. I'm not wired for that stuff. When I was a kid, I couldn't even watch Godzilla movies, they scared me too much. lol And heck, at some point when I was a kid, I gave up watching The Wizard of Oz because the flying monkeys freaked me out. I didn't watch it again until about 20 yrs old.

In other words, I'm a wuss about scary shows and movies

But I think other people like the thrill. I have a theory that everyone has their "danger thing". Something that gives them their adrenaline fix. Some people like to parachute out of airplanes. Other people like to race cars, etc. I would LOVE to be a storm chaser. And maybe some people get their fix watching scary and creepy shows.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Living vicariously thru film.

Which is a great question to ask a date. Which film genre they enjoy and which ones are a stomach Turner.

I dare say one of my social friends is as sweet as can be ...she honestly can't say a bad thing . She is Mary sunshine.
Her outlet is gore movies and dressing up at Halloween for her haunted house she works at. I sincerely think that is her dark side. And I personally don't want to get in that shady area.

Now I myself love true crime books...more so how they solve it or gather the information. I find no joy in the method of the criminal. But how science or instinct solves old cases... fascinating!

I will not understand the thrill of gore..

Old 03-11-2020, 02:47 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I watched a rather disturbing movie the other night called "The house that Jack built". It was about a serial killer and it was particularly gruesome. At one point I thought about shutting it off and I like horror movies. My wife does not. She made it about half way through before she got up to go watch some happy house wife show.

She believes that a movie that features killing and especially cold calculated murder of innocent people that was highlighted in this movie and almost made normal as the main character devolved into his own personal hell could actually inspire people to kill and torture others.

She can and has watched movies like the John Wicks and anything with Liam Neeson generally has a high body count but those are usually quick almost cartoon like killings.

She just thinks it is terrible what people have gone through at the hands of murderers and torture. There is enough of this real life horror happening that we don't need a movie made about it.

Do you think that movies can inspire people to commit murder?
No. The sole responsibility for criminal acts, if there is any to be had, lies with the criminal. Its really just that simple. The person may have an explanation for why no one can be responsible, such as self defense or if the person cannot form the necessary mental state, but that is really it. .

Old 03-11-2020, 03:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Such movies only give inspiration to the method in which the acts will be carried out, to the motivated. Then, there are separate cases where people get injured or killed trying to replicate a scene from a movie.

I think it would take a lot to prove that a movie alone was enough to not only inspire the method, but motivate someone to harm someone they otherwise would not. Even then, to what end? Any such evidence will not absolve someone of the responsibility for the act. There is a different set of circumstances on which they are either held liable or not held criminally (and civilly) liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates