Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:03 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Really, looking at it, in what possible way is our existence in anyway beneficial for our planet? We are constantly at war, we pollute everything, we use our own resources far beyond what we need, we destroy and kill and loot and ravage everything....So ultimately, what good have we ever done? What kind of possible net value does our planet receive by our existence? Wouldn't our planet, along with everything else on it have ultimately done far better had Humans never existed?
Evolution is an ongoing process featuring a random and unpredictable course of events. Some of those events will interact smoothly with everything else in existence while other events will cause chaos and damage. I believe the onset of humanity falls into the second category. Eventually another random event will wipe out humanity and send evolution in another direction. Furthermore since the results of evolution are entirely random they do not have a purpose and it is pretty clear to me that in the absence of an evolutionary purpose, humanity fills in the blank to justify its own existence.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 03-21-2020 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 05:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Really, looking at it, in what possible way is our existence in anyway beneficial for our planet? We are constantly at war, we pollute everything, we use our own resources far beyond what we need, we destroy and kill and loot and ravage everything....So ultimately, what good have we ever done? What kind of possible net value does our planet receive by our existence? Wouldn't our planet, along with everything else on it have ultimately done far better had Humans never existed?
We are "mistake" anyway. Consider that if the KT extinction had not happened we would not be here.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:24 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Things you shoulda learned in school:

Take locusts, for example-- their populations grow until they eat so much all the food is gone, and then the population collapses until the food starts growing again, and then the locust population grows until all the food is gone and the locust population collapses until the food starts growing again, and the locust population grows again.... you get the idea.

Human population is still growing. I guess all the food ain't gone yet. Gaia will let us know when it's time to slow down and it'll be obvious. We won't have to rely on the self-loathing of the partially educated for a warning.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
I really can not find much in your post to disagree with. Basically, we humans are takers, and we have pillaged this little planet to the point where it is now fighting back. I also think this latest virus is proving that our existence on this planet could be wiped out very quickly, making it the "End of the world" as we have always referred to it.

At one time there was a series on TV called "Life after people", or something to that effect. It laid out a scenario where, if we humans suddenly completely vanished from the face of the earth, what would happen. Basically, the foliage would take over and grow, rivers and oceans would become teaming with life and clean up, and the earth would return to a completely natural state as buildings and highways would crumble and erode.

Part of me feels the earth would have been better if we were not ever here.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:28 AM

383 posts, read 397,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Oooh, the self-loathing is strong in this one!

I'll bet I know who you voted for in 2016.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Cyanobacteria nearly destroyed all life on the planet and turned it into an ice ball for hundreds of millions of years. We're still catching up to those little fellows.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:04 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
You can say I wear a tinfoil hat, I’ve heard all the criticism before but I still maintain that we were created and planted here on this flicker of dust floating about the universe by an advanced life form out there. All you have to do is look at what we are doing scientifically today and project what we will be doing 500 or thousand years from now and it’s mind-boggling. In fact just the stuff that’s coming over the next 50 years, will be able to create life and probably place it on other planets.

I think there’s endless life in the universe out there. For all we know We are some long forgotten aliens scientific junior high project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If we survive the impending environmental collapse.
A flimsy excuse the doom-preachers (whose real goal is greater power behind their agenda) have been cooking up since, (to borrow from Mencken) early man looked up at the stars, and found out they weren't something to eat.

Free interaction between reasonably-educated individuals (as opposed to coercion from the dissatisfied few who think they know best) is the driving force behind all human progress; it has gained a huge amount of momentum since the Renaissance and the Enlightenment, survived a global conflict between Fascism and Marxism (and defeated both), and absorbed the greatest anthropological change in centuries -- the emancipation of women -- with minimal upset.

Within that context, the present environmental tantrum is just one more fart in a typhoon.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-22-2020 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-22-2020, 12:44 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Honestly, do you think Humans were the worst evolutionary mistake our world ever made?

"Worst" for whom?
Quote:
Really, looking at it, in what possible way is our existence in anyway beneficial for our planet?
A ball of rock, dirt and water spinning in space needs "benefits"?

There's a way out. Please shoot yourself. Then the planet will be free of at least one of these awful oppressors.

A win-win, right?

Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
We are "mistake" anyway. Consider that if the KT extinction had not happened we would not be here.
I tend to agree with you.

I've been pondering a lot of times that why most of us humans had to be born to this world and then grow up and have to work so hard for so many years and get old, look ugly, become sick and have to suffer sickness and pains and die. Many people have so much (some works hard to earn it, some does not have to work hard at all and just have it), others have not much even though they work very hard. And there are people who work so hard and have to support some lazy bums who do nothing and just live like parasites. Those lazy bum parasites just live and enjoy life like they are entitled to it.

And there are people who are so kind, selfless and helpful to others. And there are people who are so selfish and greedy and they just want to take advantage of kind people. There are innocent, good people (young and old) who are victims of mean psychopaths.

Most humans are so competitive and mean to each other for survivals.

Lots of times, I feel life is meaningless. People just f each other and poop out more and more "humans" (yes, I mean poop, not pop) to increase the population in this world. And the more people in this world, the harder life it is. People want to be together because they think with a partner, their life could be better. But later, they expect more and more, they just want to take advantage of the other person, and when they cannot take advantage, they hate that person, they argue, they fight verbally and physically. They have sex to please their feelings. But when they have children, and when they have hardship, they fight and break up.

All they want are money, materials, power and sex. They fight with each other, are willing to kill others for those. It's so awful.

Yes, I agree with the OP.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:39 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I have always said that planet Earth would be beautiful in its natural state without humans on it. It would be one giant animal reserve with pristine water and crystal clear air. Everything living in symbiotic harmony. The ultimate paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates