Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 01:52 AM

439 posts, read 289,890 times

Advertisements

Really, looking at it, in what possible way is our existence in anyway beneficial for our planet? We are constantly at war, we pollute everything, we use our own resources far beyond what we need, we destroy and kill and loot and ravage everything....So ultimately, what good have we ever done? What kind of possible net value does our planet receive by our existence? Wouldn't our planet, along with everything else on it have ultimately done far better had Humans never existed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 02:34 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,118,049 times
Oooh, the self-loathing is strong in this one!

I'll bet I know who you voted for in 2016.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:41 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Really, looking at it, in what possible way is our existence in anyway beneficial for our planet? We are constantly at war, we pollute everything, we use our own resources far beyond what we need, we destroy and kill and loot and ravage everything....So ultimately, what good have we ever done? What kind of possible net value does our planet receive by our existence? Wouldn't our planet, along with everything else on it have ultimately done far better had Humans never existed?
The idea that 'the world' makes decisions, and thus can make a 'mistake' - or, for that matter, that evolution is some sort of process with an end goal featuring a 'net value' - is completely wrong. It's like saying the solar system 'made a mistake' by featuring an remnant objects which occasionally cause mass extinctions when they impact the Earth.

Evolution doesn't look ahead. Its drivers are immediate. However, given that human beings are the most successful megafauna to ever inhabit the planet - in terms of sheer numbers, as well as penetration into a dizzying array of habitats - I'd say that humans are hardly a mistake, to pretend for a moment that such a thing is even possible. You're trying to apply subjective aesthetics and morality onto a biological process. But one has nothing to do with the other.

Humanity poses no threat to the existence of the biosphere. It poses a threat to Homo sapiens, and obviously to other individual species, many of which it has already eliminated. But to life on Earth as a whole? Not at all. And as an aside, while mass extinctions by definition result in an immediate decrease in biodiversity, the subsequent re-radiating into vacated ecological niches has consistently resulted in a net increase in biodiversity after recovery. In other words, it appears that mass extinctions are a non-trivial evolutionary driver.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:10 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
No, the coronavirus was the worst.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Its almost like we did not originate here.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 AM

11,443 posts, read 625,292 times
Alot of humans are destroying the earth....... So I would say YES it was the worst mistake!

Old 03-21-2020, 09:31 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Alot of humans are destroying the earth....... So I would say YES it was the worst mistake!
Not all human societies industrialized, though. Really, the beginnings of industrialization took place way back when metallurgy developed. It required huge amounts of fuel, which at the time was trees. And in Europe, trees also were used for housing, while in the Near and Middle East and parts of Central Asia, housing was made from mud bricks, so it didn't have much environmental impact.

Meanwhile, in the Americas, metallurgy wasn't widespread, and housing was made of earth, or was of a more sustainable-consumption type than in Europe. Metallurgy, where it was developed at all, was limited to luxury items or small ritual items.

So, when we ask if humans have been an unmitigated disaster for the planet, which model of human society would be use, to base our response on?

Yes and no, is all I can say. Different human societies have made different choices. Some worked, others haven't.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:50 AM

114 posts, read 56,963 times
You can say I wear a tinfoil hat, I’ve heard all the criticism before but I still maintain that we were created and planted here on this flicker of dust floating about the universe by an advanced life form out there. All you have to do is look at what we are doing scientifically today and project what we will be doing 500 or thousand years from now and it’s mind-boggling. In fact just the stuff that’s coming over the next 50 years, will be able to create life and probably place it on other planets.

I think there’s endless life in the universe out there. For all we know We are some long forgotten aliens scientific junior high project.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Really, looking at it, in what possible way is our existence in anyway beneficial for our planet?
You just lost the debate due to the Logical Fallacy you employed.

You falsely assumed that any species that exists must in someway be beneficial to Earth. That's now how it works.

Quote:
So ultimately, what good have we ever done?
Well, you did develop the sewage system.

And the wah-wah pedal.

And gummy bears.

Quote:
What kind of possible net value does our planet receive by our existence?
Again with the Logical Fallacy.

You're giving Earth anthropomorphic qualities. Earth is neither alive nor conscious, and thus not even remotely aware of the existence of any species.

Also, Earth has no control over Evolution and neither caused the existence of any species nor destroyed any species.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:19 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
You can say I wear a tinfoil hat, I’ve heard all the criticism before but I still maintain that we were created and planted here on this flicker of dust floating about the universe by an advanced life form out there. All you have to do is look at what we are doing scientifically today and project what we will be doing 500 or thousand years from now and it’s mind-boggling. In fact just the stuff that’s coming over the next 50 years, will be able to create life and probably place it on other planets.

I think there’s endless life in the universe out there. For all we know We are some long forgotten aliens scientific junior high project.
If we survive the impending environmental collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates