Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

I was reading about some of them in the recent Economist magazine entitled Pushing On An Open Door, the virus should speed efforts to shrink the prison population.

"In Harris County some pregnant inmates have been released."

"Sheriff Dart in Chicago says daily arrivals have fallen nearly in half as police issue more citations and arrest fewer offenders." (Which is becoming common in a number of states)

"In Baltimore, the state attorney, Marilyn Mosby, has told prosecutors to stop charging non-violent offenders such as those caught dealing drugs, trespassing or illegally selling sex."

"In Los Angeles, where 17k are in jail on an average day, officials are aiming to get the population down by 2,000. Daily arrests there have dropped from 300 to 60."

"One county jail in Kentucky released 120 of its 697 inmates this month."

Upcoming: release of elderly inmates who can serve their remaining sentence at home. (But do they have a home to go to?)

Iran has released 1000's of inmates from their prisons.

And, where you have beneficiaries, you have those that stand to lose out: Prison/jail guards.

And yes, there are others that are bound to benefit from this crisis. As more and more airlines go belly up, the bigger airlines will gobble them up at a bargain, reducing the airline competition. I have read that SW has only canceled 1 out of 5 flights, because they're not reliant on international travel, so I expect SW to flourish over this virus.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:26 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was reading about some of them in the recent Economist magazine entitled Pushing On An Open Door, the virus should speed efforts to shrink the prison population.

"In Harris County some pregnant inmates have been released."

"Sheriff Dart in Chicago says daily arrivals have fallen nearly in half as police issue more citations and arrest fewer offenders." (Which is becoming common in a number of states)

"In Baltimore, the state attorney, Marilyn Mosby, has told prosecutors to stop charging non-violent offenders such as those caught dealing drugs, trespassing or illegally selling sex."

"In Los Angeles, where 17k are in jail on an average day, officials are aiming to get the population down by 2,000. Daily arrests there have dropped from 300 to 60."

"One county jail in Kentucky released 120 of its 697 inmates this month."

Upcoming: release of elderly inmates who can serve their remaining sentence at home. (But do they have a home to go to?)

Iran has released 1000's of inmates from their prisons.

And, where you have beneficiaries, you have those that stand to lose out: Prison/jail guards.

And yes, there are others that are bound to benefit from this crisis. As more and more airlines go belly up, the bigger airlines will gobble them up at a bargain, reducing the airline competition. I have read that SW has only canceled 1 out of 5 flights, because they're not reliant on international travel, so I expect SW to flourish over this virus.
Trump's approval rating is at an all time high. This is sad because the Dems thought Corona was going to be more effective than Russia in bringing Trump down.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:15 AM

586 posts, read 314,290 times
Default Who's Benefiting The Most From The Virus?

The Media. Even though everyone knows these talking heads are liars and have an agenda, people are frightened and are grasping at every bit of information in order understand what is happening and how to best deal with it.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Trump's approval rating is at an all time high. This is sad because the Dems thought Corona was going to be more effective than Russia in bringing Trump down.
An all time high for Trump. Still lower than most previous President's lows.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Those selling toilet paper on Ebay are doing very well.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Much like Jimmy Carter during the initial weeks of the Iran hostage crisis - but instead of ticking up just a handful of percentage points, Carter's approval rating jumped 20+ points. Temporarily.

Also: you are profoundly confused if you thought Democrats believed Russia was going to bring down Trump. Huh? Confused much? Russia was all in for Trump in 2016 and is so again this time around. This has been glaringly obvious to ... well, anyone not ignoring the way Trump fluffs Putin with profuse gratitude at every opportunity.

As to the topic of this thread (as opposed to your politically-obsessed tangent), the answer is dogs. And pets in general. Dogs are being walked like never before. Pets are getting wonderful amounts of attention from the home-bound. Shelters have reported record adoption rates from people seeking companionship.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,312 times
The grocery stores.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:10 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,051,034 times
We're all benefiting, as the World Health Organization estimates 4 million die annually of pollution related illness.
40,000 die U.S. traffic accidents annually.
Covid is actually going to increase our population, while hopefully reducing our destructive environmental habits.
Also, entire new industries are being created; example being those air purifiers using UV light to kill viruses'.
I have one in my home, only now they need to be industrialized for schools and such.
Our planet is getting a chance to heal, which sounds like a paradox considering the current pandemic.
Yet nature always finds a way to confound us.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
The people on Unemployment whose checks for the next four months will be larger than those they received when they were working.

Also, although they are not benefiting now, I would also add teachers of young children because I think that they will be receiving a lot more appreciation from parents who are now being forced to homeschool (or at least babysit) their children during the daytime. (Or at least I hope they will!)

I also think that most people will be much more grateful for MANY things after this crisis has passed.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:26 PM

15,825 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Quote:
Governor ratings are also up, in a number of cases quite significantly. 72% of the public are saying their governor is doing a good job.

Ref.: https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-ins...oll_us_032320/

Quote:
"Governors, on the other hand, seem to be emerging as the most trusted official voice in this crisis across the board,” said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute.
What does that tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates