Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 06:02 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Probably the sick will be treated with hydroxychloroquine. It's shown some success in field tests.
Not if Nancy Pelosi, Ilhan Omar, Rashidi Tlaib, Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez and Elana Presley have their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 06:42 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Probably the sick will be treated with hydroxychloroquine. It's shown some success in field tests.
I'll go out of a limb here. I don't think its going to take eighteen months to develop this vaccine. I think they'll find ways to cut some corners and still produce a vaccine that is safe and effective.

You may be right about hydroxychloroquine. However, even if you're not, they will find other medications that are effective. This is not just happening in the USA, its happening everywhere. Plus, the financial incentives to do so must be incredible right now.

I'm actually becoming fairly positive. People are good at solving problems when there is enormous pressure to do so. I think this would be a good time to invest in the stock market.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 AM

501 posts, read 359,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I still can't get my mind around this. Why aren't labs cranking out test kits? Why aren't factories churning out masks and hand sanitizer? What are those factories doing, for heaven's sake? What, did they simply shut down a month ago, and send their workers on extended vacation? Where is their production going? Why is it not going to the stores? It sure as heck hasn't been diverted to the hospitals!

What the H is going on????!! Why is there no journalistic or government investigation into this? Where is 60 Minutes when you need them?
The staff from 60 Minutes are on a smoke break.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Vitamin C delivered intravenously has shown success, too.
https://www.nutraingredients.com/Art...ht-coronavirus

The article discusses it as used in combination with hydroxychloroquine, but Chinese hospitals have found it effective on its own, I think.

The NIH on Vitamin C for Covid 19:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533
Quote:
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, has antioxidant properties. When sepsis happens, the cytokine surge caused by sepsis is activated, and neutrophils in the lungs accumulate in the lungs, destroying alveolar capillaries. Early clinical studies have shown that vitamin C can effectively prevent this process.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-11-2020 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 11:23 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Unless you are a credentialed expert, rather than discrediting Harvard and the CDC based on personal opinion, it would be helpful for you to reference an authoritative source for your posts.

Here is the case for herd immunity:

"The newest epidemiological models developed in the UK now recommend aggressive “suppression” of the virus. The basic tactics being urged would be to isolate sick people, try to reduce social contacts by 75%, and close schools. Those economically costly measures could continue for many months."

Suppressing transmission means that we won’t build up herd immunity, says Azra Ghani, the lead epidemiologist on the new model of the outbreak from Imperial College London. The trade-off of success is “that we are driving it down to such a low level that we have to keep those [measures] in place.”

Popular
Blood tests show 14% of people are now immune to covid-19 in one town in Germany

(enough quoting)
That's interesting, but nowhere does anyone say why to be confident that individual immunity will be more than brief. I'm not going to swallow argument by authority built on argument by assertion (again, the bogus "mild"). I think data about immunity to other coronaviruses is key. It's already known that immunity to some viruses wears off in years, hence booster shots. Also, if it does last long enough, I don't know that herd immunity built during limited socialization will do much good, if it's true that a significant portion of not-so-old people have underlying health conditions. 20% of the population getting lung infections (which I think tends to happen with underlying conditions) in the next half year is much too dangerous, with the caveat that I don't know how very slight exposure and underlying conditions (other than a very dysfunctional immune system) interact. https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...220307511.html

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-11-2020 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 12:07 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That’s pretty much it - and it’s the most perverse thing, because if the shutdown measures work, we’ll all come out wondering what the whole kerfuffle was about.
We are going to see all the concern QUICKLY focus on the economy here real soon!

While our actions will have saved countless lives...the cost will be at the US economy and possibly the entire global economy.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Most of the people out of work are in some sort of service industry that is either dependent on tourism or close social interaction, and/or in workplaces that simply lack the wherewithal to deal with the virus.

Most of these businesses, if they were open, would lose more money being open than closed.

The government didn't "close the economy." The virus did. If you wouldn't go over to your friend's house for dinner or drinks, because of social distancing, why would you go to a bar or a restaurant?

Who would want to work there, picking up stuff that you've been putting in or on your mouth? Same reason why the samples at Costco are gone.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:57 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It has to be the latter. I don't mean to lack compassion but if we go with the former we all become very poor.
It's just not the old and compromised that are getting sick though and it's not 100% up to the President to re-open the economy. Most of those decisions are at the State level. And THANK GOD for that! My Governor and the Governor of Illinois, which is a neighboring state are taking this seriously! I've worked in the financial industry my entire career and I understand the importance, but what does all that matter if we are all dead!?

Old 04-11-2020, 04:56 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
It's just not the old and compromised that are getting sick though and it's not 100% up to the President to re-open the economy. Most of those decisions are at the State level. And THANK GOD for that! My Governor and the Governor of Illinois, which is a neighboring state are taking this seriously! I've worked in the financial industry my entire career and I understand the importance, but what does all that matter if we are all dead!?
But most people recover from this disease... they're only reporting the deaths because they want us all to be scared... People are treating it like it's the black plague. Life won't be worth living if there's a global depression... many people will be very poor and it will be pure misery. People need to get back to work now.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:02 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If the President recommends reopening and some states resist, he can rescind the "major disaster" declarations. Thus the the states want to engage in this foolishness they will have to pay for it. Not "sugar daddy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
But most people recover from this disease... they're only reporting the deaths because they want us all to be scared... People are treating it like it's the black plague. Life won't be worth living if there's a global depression... many people will be very poor and it will be pure misery. People need to get back to work now.
Quite true. The deaths, when they occur, are nasty. And I had a great-grandfather that apparently died in the Spanish Flu epidemic. One issue that the politicians won't touch with a ten-foot pole is that may, though not all, of the severely afflicted are smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates