Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 06:24 AM

749 posts, read 482,119 times

Advertisements

Whenever I make a post it seems like someone tries to dissect my words and gives me a philosophical response. But anyways, there’s so many techies where I live in the Bay Area. So many app creators. It’s like we live in a smartphone world. While that’s amazing on one hand, we don’t even have a cure for the common cold. Why not have more scientists for these types of things? Most people are fed up with their devices anyways. They do it because it’s an addiction.

We need more advancement in health and surgeons, that kinda thing. We don’t need another dating app. Society is focusing on too many useless things.

Maybe I’m confused and am not making sense. But why are we advancing in technology but not on the right things? We are talking about self driving cars but we don’t even have a cure for the cold.

And with technology we should be focusing on making health foods taste good enough that people don’t crave junk food. That’s another example. Fast foods should be healthier. You look at gyms and there’s not enough effective equipment. Gyms don’t need a 10,000 dollar bicep isolating machine. Even gyms don’t have the right stuff.

Maybe my comparisons don’t add up but I just don’t see how it’s important to upgrade an iPhone when we don’t even have a cure for the cold. More people could be focusing an critical matters and less on phone stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 08:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Look up 'Invention Secrecy Act of 1951'

This has ALOT to do with why we do not see advancements for the things you are talking about. This act is still in effect today too, the patent office estimates over 50K inventions/technologies have been 'suppressed' using the ISA!

Pay close attention to the factors the patent office uses to determine whether to apply this to a particular invention or technology! I could not believe what I was reading!!

Old 04-21-2020, 09:57 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
A few questions for you. How much do you know about advancements in all the fields you talk about? Health, food, self driving cars? I mean REALLY know, not just what you've heard in a news story or two. Besides not having a cure for the common cold, what else do you know about health care advances in say, the past 30 years? Maybe the common cold virus is incredibly difficult to develop a vaccine against. Ever think of that? Fast foods have become healthier, at least there are healthier options. Also listing nutrition information on menus help consumers make an informed choice.

You list of "critical" matters is terribly subjective. Ex. smartphones enable us to do so much more than just waste time on our phones. Dating apps can be very important to allow people to connect. Social well being is very important to health.

What kind of measurements are you using that would allow you to one day say "Yes, now humanity is finally focusing on the important stuff"? A cure for all cancers and the common cold? Obesity dropping to 8.73% of all US adults?

My opinion of you is that you are very ignorant of what's going on in the world but have already made up your mind because of what you see in your personal life and are looking for people to agree with you. For me, unless I have detailed knowledge of all the topics you talk about, I can't say that we are spending too little or too much effort on certain subjects compared to others.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
A few questions for you. How much do you know about advancements in all the fields you talk about? Health, food, self driving cars? I mean REALLY know, not just what you've heard in a news story or two. Besides not having a cure for the common cold, what else do you know about health care advances in say, the past 30 years? Maybe the common cold virus is incredibly difficult to develop a vaccine against. Ever think of that? Fast foods have become healthier, at least there are healthier options. Also listing nutrition information on menus help consumers make an informed choice.

You list of "critical" matters is terribly subjective. Ex. smartphones enable us to do so much more than just waste time on our phones. Dating apps can be very important to allow people to connect. Social well being is very important to health.

What kind of measurements are you using that would allow you to one day say "Yes, now humanity is finally focusing on the important stuff"? A cure for all cancers and the common cold? Obesity dropping to 8.73% of all US adults?

My opinion of you is that you are very ignorant of what's going on in the world but have already made up your mind because of what you see in your personal life and are looking for people to agree with you. For me, unless I have detailed knowledge of all the topics you talk about, I can't say that we are spending too little or too much effort on certain subjects compared to others.
Cell phones are an excellent argument for what the OP is talking about...

Im old enough that I remember the days when cell phones first started becoming popular, I was the first in my family and my company to have one, this was around 2000/ 2001, My wife and I went out shopping one day and saw a deal on 2 Nokia phones, we went ahead and bought them and signed the contract, this was the old Nokia 3130 phones...

I also remember cell phones were changing almost weekly in those days, phones got smaller and smaller, then came flip phones, they were very thin and small at one point (the smaller the better in those days), cell phone technology was also changing as fast as the phones themselves, I remember my first cell phone camera, it was really exciting to have a cell camera (not every phone had one then).

Then, about 2009/2010, 'the basic touchscreen smartphones' became the new thing, now, larger was better, they all had cameras and video recording, texting, etc....fast forward to today, 2019...we are STILL at the basic 'smartphone', design has not changed hardly at all, the 'flexible, roll up' phones never came either, and it doesnt look like the basic smartphone will be getting any drastic overhauls for many years to come.

How do you explain that...that all the sudden cell phone technology just 'plateaus' for close to 10 yrs?!!

Heck, by now, we should have cell phone implanted or full 3D holographic interfaces, that look NOTHING like the smartphones from the early 2010s!

Whats more likely, that cell phone technology has plateaued, or that advancements are being 'withheld' (for any number of reasons)?

One of the other interesting factors in determining ISA for the patent office is..'if the technology/invention limits government from exerting their authority in any way'...hmmm, that seems very logical given technology today, wouldnt you agree? LOL

Old 04-23-2020, 09:44 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Cell phones are an excellent argument for what the OP is talking about...

Im old enough that I remember the days when cell phones first started becoming popular, I was the first in my family and my company to have one, this was around 2000/ 2001, My wife and I went out shopping one day and saw a deal on 2 Nokia phones, we went ahead and bought them and signed the contract, this was the old Nokia 3130 phones...

I also remember cell phones were changing almost weekly in those days, phones got smaller and smaller, then came flip phones, they were very thin and small at one point (the smaller the better in those days), cell phone technology was also changing as fast as the phones themselves, I remember my first cell phone camera, it was really exciting to have a cell camera (not every phone had one then).

Then, about 2009/2010, 'the basic touchscreen smartphones' became the new thing, now, larger was better, they all had cameras and video recording, texting, etc....fast forward to today, 2019...we are STILL at the basic 'smartphone', design has not changed hardly at all, the 'flexible, roll up' phones never came either, and it doesnt look like the basic smartphone will be getting any drastic overhauls for many years to come.

How do you explain that...that all the sudden cell phone technology just 'plateaus' for close to 10 yrs?!!

Heck, by now, we should have cell phone implanted or full 3D holographic interfaces, that look NOTHING like the smartphones from the early 2010s!

Whats more likely, that cell phone technology has plateaued, or that advancements are being 'withheld' (for any number of reasons)?

One of the other interesting factors in determining ISA for the patent office is..'if the technology/invention limits government from exerting their authority in any way'...hmmm, that seems very logical given technology today, wouldnt you agree? LOL
So you're saying cell phone technology is "Important"? You lost all credibility with me when you said cell phones were changing almost weekly in the past. Not even close to true. Seems like your sense of time is really warped. I also don't get how you think cell phone technology has slowed compared to the past, again not even close to true. Cell phones are advancing at a tremendous rate. I can't wait for next year, and the year after that, etc. Technology is advancing at lightning pace.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:03 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Because your basic premise is wrong. Science and technology is advancing on all fronts. You simply aren't aware of it because you can see and hear the smart phone, but so much other RDT&E is happening in places you aren't aware of. Even living in the Bay Area which at a surface glance appears to be just computer related technology, there is a lot going on inside those bland looking office parks. Basic sciences -- physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy. Medical science. And the junctures of these areas, like biophysics. Materials science. Solid state. The list goes on.

There's a lot happening out there, but you won't find most of it on Facebook or typical media. There just aren't any good science reporters anymore looking behind the scenes and translating that for public consumption. You'll have to expand your sources and deep reading to really understand what is going on.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:04 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
Last I checked we are a free society in which we can become what we set ourselves up for.. We don't have a government telling us what kind of work we can do. Besides, would you want some techy who can decide apps for cell phones and computers working on a cure for the common cold, in which he has no knowledge of at all? I fish for a living so there is know way I would be qualified to work in the tech industry or medical field. I wouldn't have any interest in either of those fields anyway. Let those who are smart enough and like that kind of work do that.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:13 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,209 times
Which country has genetically engineered a smarter organism than the lowly human?

Well, ya haven't tried that hard, no?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:25 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
I used to wonder the same thing until o got enough life experience to learn money makes the world go round.

Technological advances that have the potential to generate the most profit are the ones that will be funded. Even science is profit driven.

It’s be wonderful if we were driven by improving quality of life for all humans, but reality is money drives everything.

Haven’t you heard, it’s more profitable to treat a disease than to cure one?

Old 04-24-2020, 08:42 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Whenever I make a post it seems like someone tries to dissect my words and gives me a philosophical response. But anyways, there’s so many techies where I live in the Bay Area. So many app creators. It’s like we live in a smartphone world. While that’s amazing on one hand, we don’t even have a cure for the common cold.
That's the way capitalism works
only things that generate money advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates