Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 02:58 PM

749 posts, read 485,601 times

Advertisements

I saw that cancer can kill 160,000 a year in the US. Do you think corona will catch that rate? What do you think you’re more likely to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 03:02 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,827,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I saw that cancer can kill 160,000 a year in the US. Do you think corona will catch that rate? What do you think you’re more likely to get?
No, I don't think that coronavirus will kill 160,000 per year in the US. I would say that cancer (in all its forms) is a far greater danger.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:03 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,731,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Over 2500 people died today in the United States of COVID-19. That's more people than will die today of cancer in this country.

If someone is pointing a gun at you and threatening to kill you, do you shrug it off and say "Well, ya know, cancer deaths are like thirty times as common as firearm homicides, so I'm more worried about colon cancer than I am about you shooting me"?

On the evening of September 11th, 2001, were you mystified at all the coverage of the attacks because, hey, tens of thousands die every year in highway fatalities and less than 3000 died that day?

This isn't complicated.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,554,839 times
Worry in what sense? They both elicit concern.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:14 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,418,854 times
I'd much rather take my chances with coronavirus than cancer. If you have a strong immune system, you will survive the virus. I'd be much more scared about getting cancer... even if you beat it the first time, you never know if it'll come back in the future.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:15 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,827,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Over 2500 people died today in the United States of COVID-19. That's more people than will die today of cancer in this country.

If someone is pointing a gun at you and threatening to kill you, do you shrug it off and say "Well, ya know, cancer deaths are like thirty times as common as firearm homicides, so I'm more worried about colon cancer than I am about you shooting me"?

On the evening of September 11th, 2001, were you mystified at all the coverage of the attacks because, hey, tens of thousands die every year in highway fatalities and less than 3000 died that day?

This isn't complicated.
It is certainly NOT complicated. The death stats for one day are no indication of what they may be for a full year. Cancer has proven to be a killer year in and year out for many decades. COVID-19 is very new. It remains to be seen what the annual death rate is from it, but I don't think it will come close to 160,000 in the US. Besides, even the "experts" agree that many of the deaths currently being attributed to COVID-19 are just guesses at best since many of the patients were never tested. It was just ASSUMED that because they had a cough and a fever that they died of CV.

We may never know the true number killed by CV in the US, but I think that two things are pretty certain.

1. The actual number of people who died from CV will be less than what is reported.

2. The actual number of people who contracted CV will be far greater than what is reported.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:27 PM

19,133 posts, read 27,760,437 times
This is how it was put:

If you have COVID, you may live many more years.
If you have cancer AND COVID, you may live few more weeks or days.

Same goes for any other serious health complication, unknown or ignored by someone. Like, say, diabetes. Or, pre existing pulmonary conditions. COVID apparently does pretty bad for folks, that already have immune system shot.

As example, lung cancer is pretty much symptom free, unless it's too late. It is found by regular oncology screening.
When was the last time you did it?

Old 04-21-2020, 08:05 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,520,297 times
Well the biggest issue here is that COVID 19 remains unexplored territory.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:51 PM

669 posts, read 322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
No, I don't think that coronavirus will kill 160,000 per year in the US. I would say that cancer (in all its forms) is a far greater danger.
It's already on it's way if not already #1. Look how fast COVID took over. All other reasons are stable, and predictable. It's only lockdown measures that will prevent it from ballooning to the last picture.

Pretty much right at #1 cause of death and then going higher.

Without controls, it would porbably look like this:

And pretty much, if you have any sort of Cancer, Diabetes, high blood pressure, COVID-19 will get you first and increase your death rate significantly.

If Cancer survival rate is 40%, COVID will make sure it's 10%. Basically, it'll ensure a massive and complete breakdown of any sort of health care accessibility and finish off any higher risk illness shown there.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:43 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,661,419 times
I mean, am I worried about a virus with a 0.2% fatality rate overall when I’m 37 and in ideal shape? No, I’m not. Am I worried about cancer particularly? Not really, but cancer is always scary and ultimately affects so many people. If I found out I had Coronavirus I wouldn’t be very concerned, if I felt I had cancer I’d be very very concerned. For all I know, I already had Coronavirus. I was traveling actively most of March and at least half of the people who get the virus have zero symptoms. My wife had a cough, headaches, and some fatigue but we just assumed it was a cold. Who knows? Hard to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates