Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 06:19 AM

749 posts, read 485,496 times

Advertisements

There’s been so much confusion with the virus. Remember when they said don’t wear masks because they don’t work? And now it’s required by law to wear one. I remember when asian people in my area were looked at as paranoid people. And now it’s everyone that has to. Changed so quickly.

Before it was the hands we were afraid of. We didn’t even social distance, we were told to just do elbow bumps. I mean Jimmy Kimmel was still doing shows, making fun of the virus with live crowds. We were told mainly to just wash our hands and practice proper hygiene.

What do you think? My opinion is it spreads more by being around someone than touching surfaces. I could be wrong. But just because someone has the coronavirus doesn’t mean that the virus is gonna spread from their hands. I would think it’s easier for it to spread from them breathing around you and then you touching your face as opposed to them touching a surface, then you touching that surface and then putting your hands on your face.

I think it’s mostly our own hands that can give us the virus. But I would think someone with the virus spreads it easier through breathing and coughing instead of through his hands. Is that wrong?

We used to think that we didn’t get it being around someone as omg as we washed our hands. That’s why we didn’t see the use for masks. But now we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 11:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,267,717 times
Here is a link from a dependable source:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavir...ssion-overview

The link lists how the disease is or could be transmitted. Remember that some things are not fully known because the virus is new to humans.

As I understand this, masks help keep droplets containing the virus from being propelled into the air and to another person. Masks are worn principally to protect others. Others wear masks to protect you.

When all of this started, I think they did not want the general populace to buy masks because they were needed for medical people. I doubt they imagined that people would sew or make their own.

You know, you can look up how the virus is transmitted.you don’t have to wonder about that. I think there will be new details learned as we go along, but basically how it is spread is known, and available online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates