Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 07:42 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,284,517 times

Advertisements

Even hypothetically no one can answer your question with any degree of certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 11:28 PM

23,327 posts, read 29,200,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
As I’m sitting here reading some of this BS by the all-knowing Crazy-19s, I’m in awe of the vast medical knowledge they all possess and LMAO. In their mind, Obama and the democrats did all of this, and they need to carry long guns in camo outfits to the open America rallies in order to shoot the virus I assume. God bless the lunatic fringe, we need the comic relief during this quarantine time.
Back in 2005, George Bush was at his ranch in Crawford and read a book about the Spanish Flu back in 1918 and he immediately became alarmed, knowing these widespread epidemics can appear every 100 years. 1918 + 100 years, and?

After reading the book he thought it was a good idea for any country to be prepared for the next one.

Interesting!

Old 04-27-2020, 03:20 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,694,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
People think their liberties are being taken away. This has already been discussed in other threads. What people don't get is that the stay at-home orders and quarantines are to save lives, not to take any liberties away! Globally over 2.7 million people have already contracted this disease and almost 200K have dies, but people still don't get it!
Yes, I feel they are acting rather stupidly. It's not like a protest for better wages, working conditions, equality - something to affect positive change. Nobody is appreciating being restricted, yet some are acting as if fighting back is all that is necessary to alter conditions currently being experienced, yet it goes so beyond that and some are not understanding it. Letting up on should not even be allowed or encouraged anywhere until there is noticeable change.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:10 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,143,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Yes, I feel they are acting rather stupidly. It's not like a protest for better wages, working conditions, equality - something to affect positive change. Nobody is appreciating being restricted, yet some are acting as if fighting back is all that is necessary to alter conditions currently being experienced, yet it goes so beyond that and some are not understanding it. Letting up on should not even be allowed or encouraged anywhere until there is noticeable change.
Desiring to have a job, work that job, and collect a paycheck to feed my family is not a "positive change"?

Yes they do look stupid with the guns and confederate flags. However I also know its a small subset of the audience that desperately need to get back to work. Yes I understand it fits somesort of narrative, but come on. The media will of course find those 5 people, pan in close, make them seem like 1,000...

Interestingly, where's Antifa? This seems like it would be right up their alley.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:51 AM

7,339 posts, read 6,962,493 times
It only took one bartender at a ski lodge to infect much of northern Europe.
Only one person disregarding social distancing or failed hand washing or masking to reintroduce the virus.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:01 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,716,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have to assume its all part of the plan...let these places re open and watch the virus explode all over the country...ultimately turning a very bad pandemic into an extinction level crisis, (not so much due to the virus, as the govts response), then, places will be forced to shut down again, probably for much longer this time.
Ok, that's a little dramatic.

So, this lockdown will have some positives regardless of a second wave. Some fraction of Americans will have gained immunity. And we will have bought the medical industry time to develop a vaccine.

I'm on the fence about reopening. I think it is going to be rather difficult to reopen the economy with schools still closed. However, it will likely explode within schools if they did go back.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:28 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,085,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akimaheco2015 View Post
Wonder if the devotee's donation to the church would go up or down if the church were to practice remote services. Wonder if this aspect has anything to do with some churches' insisting that in-person church attendance is the "religious" way to practice your faith.

I think devotees of anyone/anything aren't as motivated to give, when it's not 'live'.

I have a friend who's a musician. He's a great guy...a sweet, kind man. ALL of his gigs have been cancelled through July.

He had an idea to put on concerts, via subscription. I think, to date, he's had ONE concert. Seriously...how fun is a concert if you can't actually be there? Can't even have friends come over and watch it with you. I love the guy...but I'm not going to do it.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 AM

7,061 posts, read 9,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Back in 2005, George Bush was at his ranch in Crawford and read a book about the Spanish Flu back in 1918 and he immediately became alarmed, knowing these widespread epidemics can appear every 100 years. 1918 + 100 years, and?

After reading the book he thought it was a good idea for any country to be prepared for the next one.

Interesting!

Yes, and he directed that a plan be made and funded...unfortunately, subsequent administrations did not feel that it was that important and it did not progress as he envisioned.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:14 AM

9,490 posts, read 11,256,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Perhaps a dumb question to ask but why should a vaccine for Covid-19 take months or years to develop? As long as many medical brains are experimenting round-the-clock in their labs ...why isn't it feasible that they could just as well come up with a vaccine tomorrow or even within the hour? Why the almost official word of 'no vaccine for another 12-18 months?
Vaccines are not possible for all viruses. Where is the AIDS vaccine? Fauci worked in that area for a long long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
a vaccine needs pretty extensive testing before it can be turned loose on the public.
Vaccine can be 20-75% effective. I personally will not get vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Homeless people build up a strong immunity.

Do you know about the labs in Wuhan? Or has invested in them?

If not do a little research.
Indeed and indeed.
Homeless are typically younger, they've already been exposed to almost everything known to mankind and have pretty robust immune systems.

Is Bill Gates somewhere in that answer?

Old 04-27-2020, 10:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,237,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Hypothetically, you seem to be asking if COVID-19 would simply die-out on its own given a month of isolation (?) -- I'm guessing you are speculating that it would take 3-4-weeks for all the asymptomatic people with the virus to show signs of the infection.

... But, that doesn't necessarily mean the virus would "go away."
True. There are three possibilities:

1) it dies out like COVID-2 (SARS) did; or
2) it goes the way of Spanish Flu, sweeping through later in a 2nd wave and then dying out; or
3) it is here to say like all other strains of corona virus, influenza virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus and respiratory synctical virus. We'd have Corona Season just like Flu Season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Unfortunately, for now, there isn't a vaccine to either build immunity or produce a cure.
That will never happen.

Corona virus was discovered in Britain in 1965 and they've been working on vaccines ever since -- 55 freaking years and nothing to show for it.

Why would they suddenly find a vaccine now?

8 years after COVID-2 came, a vaccine was finally ready for trial. It failed. Back to the drawing board. They still don't have a vaccine for COVID-2 just like they don't have a vaccine for HCOV-NH, HCOV-NL, HCOV-NL63, HCOV-HKU1 or HCOV-MERS which have all come into being in the last 20 years.

Why would they suddenly find a vaccine now?

After 100 years....you still don't have a vaccine for any strain of influenza.

Do not confuse the "flu shot" with a "flu vaccine."

The reason people are asked to get a flu shot every year is because there is no vaccine.

The flu shot only gives you temporary immunity, just enough to get through flu season.

It's only 60% effective. See the CDC website for details.

40% of people who get the flu shot are still vulnerable to infection and get the flu, and in many instances, the flu shot causes flu.

Granted, there is one strain of flu for which it is 72% effective, but that's not a vaccine.

A recently concluded study showed that 207 people have been re-infected with COVID-19.

I do not know when they were originally infected, but it would seem that January/February would be a reasonable guess.

39 of those 207 people were asymptomatic the 2nd time round.

But that's only 18.8% and hardly encouraging.

That study proves immunity is neither life-time nor long-term. I'm not at all surprised.

A previous study on OC43 and 229E, which are 2 of the 4 corona virus known to cause the common cold showed immunity is just 4 weeks.

Excluding those 4 strains of corona virus, the other 18 corona virus strains responsible for Influenza-like Illnesses are known to be 6-12 weeks for immunity.

I would venture to guess COVID-19 falls somewhere in there: 6-12 weeks.

Anyway, if you have had it, don't be fooled into thinking you couldn't possibly get it again, because that has been disproved. You can get it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates