Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 07:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,690,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I mean all we have been asked to do is stay at home. We’re not being asked to go to jury duty everyday. This virus shows us that the outside world is overrated. Most jobs can be done at home. We are in fact living in different times. And so many people that complain they can’t go out were just on their phones anyways.

You can still walk around. You can still get food. Whether you’re into video games, movies, or reading, you can do all of that. Heck you can still socialize with FaceTime and video apps. You can see what everyone is doing on Facebook. You wouldn’t be able to do these things in the past.

And all was asked was that you stay home and chill. You can cook. You can eat. You can sing or whistle. Gyms even offer work ins. So you don’t even have to go to the gym..

This is not forever. It’s temporary and short in the big scheme of things. Sometimes in life you can’t have it all. And in order to slow the spread, you just have to sacrifice a little. The way people complain is like they haven’t seen the outside world in years. It hasn’t been that long.

Do we really have to have everything our way? This is a virus that is more deadly than anything we’ve ever seen and if we hadn’t social distanced then maybe we would have 100 million deaths by now. My question is why do people think they are so special that they need to have everything at all times?
s,

Yes, many Americans today are entitled and very self absorbed.

But I notice you make no mention of those 30 million Americans who have lost their jobs.

Ever think of those women and children living in situations where domestic abuse can be an issue, now under the same roof, throw in a job loss and the risk of abuse or worse increases.

People who are in great pain and their surgeries have been delayed.

Those who have lost a loved one and can't have a funeral, or have friends and family around them when you need it the most.

I don't think you have because it hasn't impacted you directly.

So while you have a point, look at what you wrote.

This isn't impacting your life so who cares about how it impacts other people right?

Glenn Frye of The Eagles had a song out many years ago called "I Got Mine", you should listen to it.

And it's not a virus more deadly than anything we have ever seen. Good grief educate yourself. You don't say that when the recovery rate is 98%. Hospitals for the most part are empty. The Javits Center in NYC that was set up as a makeshift hospital with 6,000 beds was never used. Neither were the ones in Central Park. Ventilators have been shipped back.

Being an alarmist, is worse than being entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,643,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan007 View Post
What I find interesting about these protest groups is they say... "we can police ourselves" and yet their actions say otherwise... as VERY FEW of them are wearing face masks or practicing social distancing.

So they have sort of proven themselves to be idiots or hypocrites... or a combination of both.... which is why the state governments issued stay at home orders in the first damn place!

And tbh... if these people are that stupid about protecting themselves... it sort of makes you wonder how they are planning to protect their employees or their customers... if they even own a business.

If they're that stupid.. perhaps it might be best if they do lose their business! I certainly wouldn't want to buy their products or services!!
All excellent points because you know they would be cutting corners on any kind of safety or quality precautions. I question how any of them could even have a business unless it's selling stolen guns, vulgar bumper stickers, or recalled child car seats. I suspect many of them were already unemployed (meth cook doesn't count) prior to all of this because of interpersonal deficiencies.

And outside of some fringe group support, their message is failing.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,690,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I sympathize with people who have been thrown out of work. No one could foresee how long the nonessential shutdown would last. I thought for sure we'd be up and running by now - but the number of new positive tests isn't leveling off where I live.

One thing the pandemic has exposed is how many people live paycheck to paycheck, without savings for even one month's expenses. Perhaps some work needs to be done to craft incentives for saving.

However, like the OP I'm amazed at the people complaining about needing haircuts, needing to go to bars, etc. They're not mad that their favorite stylist or bartender is out of work; they're mad because they can't get what they want when they want it. They're mad because they have to wear a mask in the grocery store, for no good reason other than they don't want to. And yes, that is entitlement.
Craft incentives for savings? How about not living above your means. Putting something aside, brown bag you lunch to work, cut down on your $5 Starbucks to once a week instead of 5 times. Don't need a smart phone that costs the same as what your car insurance is....see how that goes.

When you see $40,000 cars and lots of them lined up waiting for food banks one month into this, well that is beyond frightening. To have nothing in savings?

And those people aren't living paycheck to paycheck, they're living about their means.

Yes, there are people who are just living paycheck to paycheck, but there are many Americans who seem to think although they're middle class they need to live like they're well to do. Maybe watching too much Reality TV showing big houses, big weddings, etc.... and that's something to strive for even if it puts you in debt up to your eyeballs....sigh.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,734,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
One thing the pandemic has exposed is how many people live paycheck to paycheck, without savings for even one month's expenses. Perhaps some work needs to be done to craft incentives for saving.
All it would take is CD rates a couple of % higher than the inflation rate. Saving has been a money loser for years now. Nobody likes to feel like a fool for putting their money in the bank.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,734,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
All very true about spoiled people need to cowboy up
However we got 40 million government related jobs
They are the ones working from home
The other 10 million work private sector - they don’t work then they don’t eat
Remember only 46% of Americans work
Cities, counties, and states are going broke as fast as anyone. They are heading for a big round of layoffs, plus canceling purchases and contracts. I hope you like those potholes, they will still be around next year.

Your numbers are off. There are far more private sector workers than government workers, and most city and county jobs are not work from home. Somebody has to run the water plant, the sewer plant, mow the road shoulders, fix streets, etc. My county has already laid off 25% of its workers because they can't pay them.

Everybody but gig workers has an unemployment claim. With the $600 kicker, they are making more at home than they made while they were working, so I'm not feeling sorry for them. It's the musicians, actors, Uber drivers and such that are getting the shaft.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,670,259 times
Quote:
I agree...

Also considering the fact that 70% of small businesses fail withing 5 years of opening anyway... even when the economy is good... I am not sure if the federal government (aka... we the taxpayers) should be bailing these people out with loans. I can see unemployment for their employees but that's it.

It seems like we got a lot of whiners who want everything to go back to way things were pre-corona... and it ain't going to happen!!!!
People acclimate pretty quickly...so while it will never go back to the way it was, I think people will get used to the new way of life, there are bound to be whiners and complainers for awhile, but after so long, whats the point? Are they really expecting anyone to care or rush in to fix it for them? LOL

I have a feeling the Federal and state Govts are hanging on BY A THREAD right now, and that is somewhat helping to keep things orderly for the time being, and its also giving people false hope.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,282,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It would be interesting to see what percentage of these "reopen" protesters are actually in financial ruin as a result of business closures/job losses versus the entitled people who are angry about a little inconvenience during a public health crisis. Or what percentage actually live in the state that they are protesting and are who they claim to be, and not being paid to create chaos by some fringe dark money groups whose real interests have nothing to do with protecting people's ability to earn a living to put food on the table (including some very dangerous fringe groups)*. There may be some who are genuinely trying to make their voice heard due to dire economic situations, but I think many of these protesters are staged and have ulterior motives.

If they were taking simple precautions while exercising their first amendment rights, it would be a little easier to at least have some respect for them, even if not being completely on board with their message. Practicing protective measures to protect human health such as wearing a mask or moving back a few feet from someone doesn't cost anyone their job or livelihood.

But they're not even bothering to attempt this, so they deserve no respect. These folks may be in a small minority, but a small minority can cause many problems, and be destructive rather than constructive to work together with other people to come up with a solution. That is not what many of them are about at all.

* Read more about dark money groups funding the so-called "reopen" movement here:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-stay-at-home

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/04/...he-us-economy/
I couldn't even finish reading the second link because it was ridiculous. The only person trying to start a race war is the person that wrote that article.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:55 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,416,951 times
Quote:
It seems like we got a lot of whiners who want everything to go back to way things were pre-corona... and it ain't going to happen!!!!
It'll mostly go back to what it was sooner than you think. Not right away, of course, but gradually.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:09 AM

2,140 posts, read 364,465 times
I believe my comment did not fall within the Great Debate guidelines, and I apologize. I will be more careful in the future.

Last edited by paperwing; 05-01-2020 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: See post

Old 05-01-2020, 12:03 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,643,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I couldn't even finish reading the second link because it was ridiculous. The only person trying to start a race war is the person that wrote that article.
So does that mean far-right fringe groups (which does include some white supremacists) are not participating in these protests? Because the evidence says that they are a big part of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates