Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 04:16 PM

17,470 posts, read 22,220,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan007 View Post
I totally agree with you. My parents were alive during the Great Depression. They taught me how to live on a budget. "Save for a rainy day." was one their favorite sayings. I am glad I learned from them how to save and live comfortably.

With that said... I am really surprised that people didn't learn any valuable lessons about living frugally since the last economic downturn of 2008/2009.

It seems like a lot of people just returned to spend, spend, spend.

The other thing I find interesting is that liquor sales right now are through the roof. Isn't it funny how people can find money for booze, but they can't feed themselves or their kids???

People's priorities are all screwed up... smh.
"can't pay rent"......text sent from Iphone (*latest version)

Irony- went to a huge liquor store this week looking for a specialty beer. They wouldn't let you in without a face mask (or even a t-shirt tied to your face would be enough) yet they only sell alcohol and tobacco that kills how many people annually?

I have a buddy that says he has 30K but has delayed paying bills/getting deferments on car payments etc. I inquired about the 30K and he said yeah if he paid all his expenses he wouldn't have 30K.......hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 04:17 PM

45,574 posts, read 60,857,128 times
I question one big premise from the opening post: that most jobs can be done from home.

The reality is that they can't. Millions of blue collar, as well as white collar, jobs depend on going to a work site. Not everyone moves electrons around for a living.

For those millions of people who don't have the luxury of working in their pajamas being out of work and unpaid for a month is devastating and you will see an uptick in foreclosures and repossessions as soon as the temporary moratoria on them expires.

The PPP is a joke for many workers. Their employers either didn't apply for it, were too stupid to be able to fill out the paperwork or received it and redirected the money to other uses.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,725,976 times
What I do see from this is how fragile we can be from any kind of disruption. Just imagine if no one can go out (including essential people) How are stores going to be restocked? How are you going to get your packages delivered? How about your internet goes down will someone be able to fix it right away when your working from home and you depend on that connection? Thank god to the the jobs that people look down upon and take for granted what good and services we have access too. My father reminds me that when he was a child and there was WW2 going on, there was no services and it was basically a day to day fight on survival and my generation has no experience with hardships.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:09 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,314,295 times
The big problem is senior citizens, those with big savings, non-stop Social security checks/pensions and those with little social life in normal times are comparing their wants and needs to those who still need to work at a physical job site, and those who actually still like to get out and enjoy Bars, Restaurants, Ball games, Gyms, Theme parks, Dating, shopping and movie theaters. Not to mention, shopping at stores without lines outside the door. You know-----LIFE!

This idea of "shelter in place is much easier to deal with for some people depending on your normal lifestyle. But you shouldn't project what you see is no big deal regarding day to day life on others. Lets not forget, all of this is being done for a virus with extremely low mortality rate and was initially being sold like some kind of black plague. People are ready to get on with their lives. If you're old or sick, then by all means continue to stay bottled up

And why bring Anne Frank into this? Just because someone had it worst doesn't the problems and concerns of others should be marginalized.
As far as bringing up WW3, ..........nevermind

Last edited by jacktravern; 04-25-2020 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-25-2020, 08:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,623,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I totally agree, it turns my stomach to hear what some of these crazy people are saying today, they act like the world revolves around them and how they expect things to be and everyone else is just wrong.

Compared to other hard times of the past, this is a freaking breeze...just imagine what Anne Frank and her family went thru...and then to hear people whining and crying about having to lay around the house (while getting stimulus checks, unemployment, the extra $600), they can lay around, sleep til noon everyday, watch tv or play video games all day...oh yes, these people are truly suffering!!! LOL

I would hate to think if WW3 ever breaks out, what these people would do! If they cannot even survive this, they are going to be a wreck in something much more dangerous, heck, they would probably be whining and crying about having no internet or they can no longer buy things made in certain countries!

Something else Ive been hearing from numerous people, I guess some are not eligible to receive unemployment or the stimulus, or they are having problems signing up, they are complaining and crying about how they will make ends meet this month, asking how the state and federal govt is going to help them...they are all over Facebook, they do not know what to do with themselves!

My grandparents were alive during the Depression, I grew up hearing stories of what they had to go thru to get a little bit of money, again, to hear people today whining about this, there is PLENTY they can do to make money, its summer time, go out and mow some yards, bush trimming, various odd jobs people still need to have done, even if they arent making much, its something coming in, they can buy bread, milk, food for the day, but NO, they sit around at home waiting for the govt to help them, or cancel their rent/mortgage. LOL it really makes me sick at how pathetic and weak people have become.
Obviously the government is paying you to stay home.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Exactly! It's not Flu-19 that's the problem. It's the overreaction to it.

I'll gladly do jury duty every day, skimp on my meals, and even enlist in the military. ANYTHING but live under house arrest.
Well, it isn't HOUSE ARREST. Since it warmed up, I see people out walking their dogs or with little weights. Parents playing with their kids. Most of the foot traffic outside my fate might be 'essential' but I don't think so. People are going to see other people (which is allowed here, and IDK anywhere that stops pedestrians and makes them go home. Or pulls over drivers for proof they are going to grocery store instead of their girlfriend's house).

We have tennis courts and they are open. Hardly house arrest.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
"can't pay rent"......text sent from Iphone (*latest version)

Irony- went to a huge liquor store this week looking for a specialty beer. They wouldn't let you in without a face mask (or even a t-shirt tied to your face would be enough) yet they only sell alcohol and tobacco that kills how many people annually?

I have a buddy that says he has 30K but has delayed paying bills/getting deferments on car payments etc. I inquired about the 30K and he said yeah if he paid all his expenses he wouldn't have 30K.......hmmmm.
Well, you were in there buying it!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:43 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, it isn't HOUSE ARREST. Since it warmed up, I see people out walking their dogs or with little weights. Parents playing with their kids. Most of the foot traffic outside my fate might be 'essential' but I don't think so. People are going to see other people (which is allowed here, and IDK anywhere that stops pedestrians and makes them go home. Or pulls over drivers for proof they are going to grocery store instead of their girlfriend's house).

We have tennis courts and they are open. Hardly house arrest.
Well, maybe in YOUR world. Mine is a few steps above Florence ADX, with better hots and a cot. Anything sports- or fitness-related is roped off with yellow "caution" tape, and there are cops everywhere on the roads. If you're caught doing anything non-essential, you run a risk of getting a ticket, depending on if it's a first or a repeat offense, and the cop's mood.

But the marijuana dispensaries are open!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, maybe in YOUR world. Mine is a few steps above Florence ADX, and with better hots and a cot. Anything sports- or fitness-related is roped off with yellow "caution" tape, and there are cops everywhere on the roads. If you're caught doing anything non-essential, you run a risk of getting a ticket, depending on if it's a first or a repeat offense, and the cop's mood.

But the marijuana dispensaries are open!
OK, take away the tennis courts. There is still no house arrest. The strictest I heard of was one place tried to do an actual curfew but the state said no, you can't do that, people are allowed out for exercise. No one anywhere in the US is actually mandated to stay in their homes.

You could literally spend all day outside your home driving or walking.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You could literally spend all day outside your home driving or walking.
Well, yeah. But if a cop pulled you over 50 miles away from home, over a taillight or something, would he really believe you were "just driving around"? I highly doubt it.

I generally walk. Cops in my neck of the woods almost never hassle pedestrians, not even jaywalkers. Car drivers bring in easier revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates