Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 09:14 PM

23,326 posts, read 29,200,582 times

Advertisements

Assumptions! Assumptions! Just because I can do it, you can do it???????????????????? Yup, we're all cut out of the same piece of cloth!

I refuse to give in to fear, stress, panic as that would only weaken my immune system, making me more susceptible to getting not just the Virus, but pneumonia, and the normal flu as well.

I finally found a Thrift Store open today, only reason is the proceeds go to a religious cause, and it was nice being a human being again, and only 1 person in the store wearing a mask, and it certainly wasn't me.

OK, so I get it, and I'll luck out on experiencing the next virus which is sure to come along any time, and I'll miss out on the nuclear holocaust, and I'd certainly hate to miss that.

Some people who are experiencing Lockdown don't even know if there is a Lockdown, because they're natural homebodies, introverts, loners, but the socially minded types, you know all too well, are suffering.

I have no time for pandemic extremists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 09:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,698,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Obviously the government is paying you to stay home.
Nope...Im still doing my job, but the company has restricted some of my duties.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
The big problem is senior citizens, those with big savings, non-stop Social security checks/pensions and those with little social life in normal times are comparing their wants and needs to those who still need to work at a physical job site, and those who actually still like to get out and enjoy Bars, Restaurants, Ball games, Gyms, Theme parks, Dating, shopping and movie theaters. Not to mention, shopping at stores without lines outside the door. You know-----LIFE!

This idea of "shelter in place is much easier to deal with for some people depending on your normal lifestyle. But you shouldn't project what you see is no big deal regarding day to day life on others. Lets not forget, all of this is being done for a virus with extremely low mortality rate and was initially being sold like some kind of black plague. People are ready to get on with their lives. If you're old or sick, then by all means continue to stay bottled up

And why bring Anne Frank into this? Just because someone had it worst doesn't the problems and concerns of others should be marginalized.
As far as bringing up WW3, ..........nevermind
Doesnt that suggest, there is 'something else' going on here?

Old 04-25-2020, 09:58 PM

2,246 posts, read 2,422,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It shows me how easy the government can take people's freedoms
Yup, spot on. This is what people should really be concerned about, but they continue to be little sheep. How does the government have the power to shut down public parks when they don't own them? They're owned by the people.

And the government is encouraging people to call the police on neighbors who are having social gatherings at their PRIVATE residence. It's kind of like when the nazis encouraged people to call the police on those who were hiding Jews.. it's not as extreme, of course, but eerily similar.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,646,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, yeah. But if a cop pulled you over 50 miles away from home, over a taillight or something, would he really believe you were "just driving around"? I highly doubt it.

I generally walk. Cops in my neck of the woods almost never hassle pedestrians, not even jaywalkers. Car drivers bring in easier revenue.
There is no law against driving around. I could drive 50 miles for any reason, as long as at my destination there is not a crowd, or I get an illegal haircut. There is no house arrest.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 24,002,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I don't really think it's about people who think "they are so special". People create a life and are used to living it daily. They get used to a social structure that might include visiting with friends, seeing loved ones, going out with others in a group, going to the movies, etc. When all of this is suddenly prohibited they feel a genuine loss and are often at odds with how to deal with it. There are also MANY workers and business owners who are facing catastrophic financial losses which will last long after the virus and this causes enormous stress. Add to all of that the number of people who either are or know someone who is sick or worse. All of these things bring to mind the old saying that you can't really judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Something to think about.
Ironically a lot of the people I see mock the whole "snowflakes suck", "everyone is special" or "everyone gets a trophy" logic. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the same Trump supporters in these rallies are the same type of person that comments about "everyone gets a trophy" these days. Ironically, those are snowflakes being told that they shouldn't be able to go get a haircut, go to the bowling alley, go watch a movie at the cinema, etc.

I personally think this is showing how entitled we are. It is easy to see how others are, but there are many who don't realize that they themselves are. I mean many think they should be able to talk to their friends and do whatever they want, but would be the first to complain if they got the virus.

I get it, it sucks that we cannot shop at say a Ross or Kohl's. I get it, watching movies at home is not as fun as a theater (which it is an experience.) I get it, I needed a haircut a month ago. I get it, many service sector jobs are closed and furloughed if not fired people. I get it, unemployment is tough and in a number of states it is hard. The problem is now is a time of sacrifice. You don't know if you catch it if it is a mild case or if you'll be on your deathbed. Healthy or not, young and old, this does not discriminate.

I agree that there is a lot of economic induced stress and there is also interaction issues.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,646,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Doesnt that suggest, there is 'something else' going on here?
You're one of the ones promoting people not even being allowed to buy things you deem 'non-essential'. If there is 'something else going on', YOU are a part of the problem.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan007 View Post
Yeah I have noticed people who have the latest cell phone model but can't pay their bills. As for me, I am still using a basic cell phone that's 14 years old.

Call me a tightwad... but I don't see the need for a smartphone since I have internet access at home and I am retired.... so I just stick with my land line and my old prepaid cell plan that costs me about $25 a year just to buy 150 minutes and roll any remaining minutes over to the next year.

And I don't see the need for cable TV or Netflix either when I can go to my local public library and get all the DVDS of TV shows and movies that I could ever want.

I also don't drink or smoke and that cuts down on my costs too.

BTW... I used to know a lady who complained about her expenses but she smoked 2 packs daily.

2 packs of smokes at $6 a pack = $12 a day going up in smoke... which if you multiply that by 365 days in a year... that's $4380 ($365 a month) which is a lot of money that is being burned up just to turn your lungs black, hahaha.

So when I hear people complaining about how they don't have any money... I just want to say... "Cry me a river!"... because they really don't know how to cut their expenses and live on budget.

Everything thing they see and want... they purchase it... even if they have to go in debt to do it.

That's just crazy if you ask me.
What makes me mad, is so many people expecting someone else to help them or do something for them! Ive lost count of the people on Facebook that type out their sob story and how they have no money for rent, or their car payment in 3 days...but they are sitting on Facebook in the middle of the day!

When you desperately need money...you go out and FIND work to do, I dont care what kind of work it is, or how little it pays...if you need money right now...you have no other choice!

Ive had to resort to this a handful of times, the last time was about 4 yrs ago, I ended up raking leaves for a guy and bagging them all up, it was a pretty big yard, and there were alot of leaves, and he was only going to pay me $80. but I needed it right then, so I had no choice, but to put my gloves on and go to it.

There is PLENTY of work out there if someone needs to make money right now for bills.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:30 PM

185 posts, read 97,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I mean all we have been asked to do is stay at home. We’re not being asked to go to jury duty everyday. This virus shows us that the outside world is overrated. Most jobs can be done at home. We are in fact living in different times. And so many people that complain they can’t go out were just on their phones anyways.

You can still walk around. You can still get food. Whether you’re into video games, movies, or reading, you can do all of that. Heck you can still socialize with FaceTime and video apps. You can see what everyone is doing on Facebook. You wouldn’t be able to do these things in the past.

And all was asked was that you stay home and chill. You can cook. You can eat. You can sing or whistle. Gyms even offer work ins. So you don’t even have to go to the gym..

This is not forever. It’s temporary and short in the big scheme of things. Sometimes in life you can’t have it all. And in order to slow the spread, you just have to sacrifice a little. The way people complain is like they haven’t seen the outside world in years. It hasn’t been that long.

Do we really have to have everything our way? This is a virus that is more deadly than anything we’ve ever seen and if we hadn’t social distanced then maybe we would have 100 million deaths by now. My question is why do people think they are so special that they need to have everything at all times?

SUCH HYPERBOLE.

First off, I would say this isn't even close to being the deadliest virus ever seen. Possibly one of the most contagious virus that has come along but the most deadly ever? NO. Does it pose a serious threat for elderly at risk and people whom have pre-existing conditions? Yes, definitely. I won't mitigate that.

How do you figure 100 million people could have died? We're not even at 1 million! Not even a half a million! Not even at a quarter of a million as of yet! The death toll will grow, certainly but I doubt we'll even see it at half a million. If we were at 5 million, 10 million deaths RIGHT NOW, I would say yes, we can see that number of 100 million being possible. However, I highly doubt we'll get into the millions at the rates the death are going. Definitely millions have been infected, I would even bet tens of million people have been infected at this point but we don't have millions of deaths.

So condescending to say "Why do people think they are so special?". When the government comes and SWEEPS the rug right from under you and tells you, you can't work, tells you that your job isn't "essential", strips you of your livelihood and then makes you dependent on them, you think people don't have a right to complain? Be upset? People have families to take care of that a measly 1200 dollars check isn't going to do jack hits. People have businesses and in some cases had to (possibly) fire or lay off workers that they look after. Bills to pay, rent to pay, some people have relatives they're looking after they may have certain needs. It's not as simple as you think it is.

On top of that, people being villified and criminalized for getting some fresh air, getting EXERCISE, which is the BEST way to prevent yourself from getting sick and strengthening your immune system, is utterly ridiculous.

And how do you figure everyone is just at home on their phones? How do you figure people want to play video games and binge Netflix all day, everyday for the time of a lockdown? That's TERRIBLE for anyone who does do that. You have to get some sort of fresh air and exercise. If you are immobile, stuck in your home and someone gets the virus, then its just going to circulate within that closed environment, and people will be more susceptible. Sure, if you have a big house, mansion with a big back yard and plenty of space, hey, you're good. But for those whom lived in enclosed spaces, its TERRIBLE. Look at the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

I'm tired of all these self righteous "Quarantine Gestapo" people like yourself who think us working folk don't matter. Our lives, our families, our rights, our right to PROVIDE for our families don't matter.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 999,050 times
^^^----- That.

Unfortunately reality and common sense are quick to escape the minds of those who have chosen to let themselves become brainwashed by the corporate populist ma$$ media and the politics backing them.

Welcome to 21st century Amerikkka. That little rectangle of glass, plastic and metal in your pocket, that people live their entire lives in, and the never-ending feed of tripe, misinformation and dirty laundry issuing from it, is the deadliest, most hazardous virus of all. The old-fashioned, protein-and-RNA Chinavirus might trash your lungs, but you can still survive albeit with a decreased quality of life. You can't survive without a functioning autonomous mind, untainted by the Novel Glass Chinavirus.

Last edited by Ttark; 04-25-2020 at 11:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates