Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 10:45 PM

1,665 posts, read 987,800 times

Advertisements

Wife and I can't stay home and work. We're both "essential". She works in a nursing facility and boy, do I hear her talk about some of the rules they try to impose on the workers. They tried to pass this: you can't go to the store on your day off and you can't have family gatherings on Good Friday or Easter, or if we find out, you will be terminated. That didn't work out too well. I had my lawyer call the facility and set them straight. I can understand the precautions due to the elderly residents, but you can't go without going shopping. How are we going to get food and other essential items for the house?

I'm a career firefighter and we've been under lockdown at our station. Changed our SOPs for response and what emergencies to respond to. Had a few scares with our personnel due to Covid contact, but we've followed the decon to the T. I can take off for 2 weeks due to symptoms and get paid for it, due to 365 sick day pay. But if my wife has symptoms, she's out of work for 2 weeks and no pay.

We haven't received any stimulus pay yet. We still do our own thing, run to town for errands and shopping, do our walks...the social distancing? Not a problem. Less drama we have to deal with from other people.

Someone said something about the government taking away our freedoms? I agree. People has become too reliant on the government. And with it, forgets all about what personal rights and freedoms we're granted. Which....are somewhat seized with this lockdown bull.

Take Sweden for example.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...mmunity-2020-4

Sure, but the opposite could also happen, and things COULD get worse there. I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Speaking of doctors....It's funny how these doctors on the news keeps changing things about the virus. Makes ME wonder...who is right? Who's getting paid off to say things? Or is this all just scare tactics?

Sure...many people have died. But how many are ACTUAL Corona Casualties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 10:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,001,755 times
Quote:
They tried to pass this: you can't go to the store on your day off and you can't have family gatherings on Good Friday or Easter, or if we find out, you will be terminated. That didn't work out too well. I had my lawyer call the facility and set them straight. I can understand the precautions due to the elderly residents, but you can't go without going shopping. How are we going to get food and other essential items for the house?
Yeah, I was just going to say that would have been a lawsuit waiting to happen. It'd have been over and settled in the employees' favor so fast the company's collective heads would have spun.

Quote:
Not a problem. Less drama we have to deal with from other people.
"If I appear to be keeping my distance, or am unresponsive, I'm not actually antisocial. I just don't have the time or tolerance for drama, stupidity and fake people."

Last edited by Ttark; 04-25-2020 at 11:19 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 05:11 AM

7,996 posts, read 5,430,753 times
re: Does this lockdown show us how entitled people are here?

I think it shows us how spoiled we are. Before, everything was at our fingertips. Now we have to learn to be patient. I work with the Public--many people are patient, then there are those that do not know how to be patience.

I think our Ancestors are laughing themselves silly watching us.

Waiting 10 days for my Amazon order?? What, I have Amazon Prime??!!

Old 04-26-2020, 05:59 AM

7,267 posts, read 4,606,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Do we really have to have everything our way? This is a virus that is more deadly than anything we’ve ever seen and if we hadn’t social distanced then maybe we would have 100 million deaths by now. My question is why do people think they are so special that they need to have everything at all times?
If this had been the case in March -- ok I could see people calling it entitled. But economically this is going to put a tremendous strain on some people. Some are seeing their entire lives go up in smoke. And, for what? To save a few (and it is a few) people who were on their last legs anyway? For years we have heard that people are living too long and modern medicine is extending lives needlessly and nature or god comes along and says, never fear, I am here to take out the people that need to be taken out.

And what do we do? We fight nature every step of the way and -- in the process - destroy our economy and some younger peoples chances of ever living a good life. But it isn't just that.. for people who have cancer or other serious illnesses who aren't getting the treatment they need, their lives will end prematurely but you won't hear about that because no one cares about cancer or ALS or MS right now. I don't even want to think about the larger global implications of stepping off the world stage like we are.

Finally there is zero proof this is doing anything. There is the suspicion of that... but zero proof. There is a lot of evidence it isn't doing anything. Myself.. I have gotten sick plenty of times when it has been the holidays and I didn't go out for a week. How did that happen? This "lockdown" is similar to that. Secondly, the number of cases just keep going up -- and the number of reports with people with antibodies just keep coming in. Suggesting that the number of people infected is very high and the number of people dying is very low.

If there i anyone entitled it is the people who expect the entire world to stop for something that they care about.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:05 AM

19,981 posts, read 30,378,098 times
This viral apocalypse has revealed 98%
Of people depend on others to feed them
We are a soft society - if we did have to feed
Ourselves - half the soft population can’t even clean a fish
Let alone hunt and prep an animal

Also people in the big cities that are packed in like sardines
This is a fragile way of life

On the upside I’m seeing society helping out others
And most have followed rules with face masks and distancing

We are in for a hard road ahead Many many businesses closing
Employees getting furloughed

Old 04-26-2020, 06:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,105,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Exactly! It's not Flu-19 that's the problem. It's the overreaction to it.
It is rediculous at this point. Goodness, we are so dumbed down. How about living a life, but just following some simple rules. Wear a mask, wash your hands and keep surfaces clean. Goodness! Obviously if you are old or in weak health, you need to stay home or in a safe place. Most people could just live normally and keep our economy going. Sweden is doing it right. They will have higher death at the beginning, but it will also go away much faster, so the overall death rate will be similar without destroying everything, not to mention the mental side of what we are doing. Lots of people drinking like crazy, overeating and the list goes on and on.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:20 AM

9,975 posts, read 7,878,793 times
I think the entitled ones are the folks who are staying home but demanding that others do things for them and complaining because other people aren't out there making toilet paper, masks, tests, whatever, fast enough for them. Yet on the other hand, those same people want everything to stay locked down for months. Unless they want something.

Sometimes I read those posts and feel like those who are out there working are the new servant class to those who stay home and complain.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:20 AM

1,002 posts, read 622,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, maybe in YOUR world. Mine is a few steps above Florence ADX, with better hots and a cot. Anything sports- or fitness-related is roped off with yellow "caution" tape, and there are cops everywhere on the roads. If you're caught doing anything non-essential, you run a risk of getting a ticket, depending on if it's a first or a repeat offense, and the cop's mood.

But the marijuana dispensaries are open!
Is this the Chicago area where there are hotspots of the virus or all of Illinois?

Old 04-26-2020, 09:31 AM

185 posts, read 97,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Wife and I can't stay home and work. We're both "essential". She works in a nursing facility and boy, do I hear her talk about some of the rules they try to impose on the workers. They tried to pass this: you can't go to the store on your day off and you can't have family gatherings on Good Friday or Easter, or if we find out, you will be terminated. That didn't work out too well. I had my lawyer call the facility and set them straight. I can understand the precautions due to the elderly residents, but you can't go without going shopping. How are we going to get food and other essential items for the house?

I'm a career firefighter and we've been under lockdown at our station. Changed our SOPs for response and what emergencies to respond to. Had a few scares with our personnel due to Covid contact, but we've followed the decon to the T. I can take off for 2 weeks due to symptoms and get paid for it, due to 365 sick day pay. But if my wife has symptoms, she's out of work for 2 weeks and no pay.

We haven't received any stimulus pay yet. We still do our own thing, run to town for errands and shopping, do our walks...the social distancing? Not a problem. Less drama we have to deal with from other people.

Someone said something about the government taking away our freedoms? I agree. People has become too reliant on the government. And with it, forgets all about what personal rights and freedoms we're granted. Which....are somewhat seized with this lockdown bull.

Take Sweden for example.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...mmunity-2020-4

Sure, but the opposite could also happen, and things COULD get worse there. I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Speaking of doctors....It's funny how these doctors on the news keeps changing things about the virus. Makes ME wonder...who is right? Who's getting paid off to say things? Or is this all just scare tactics?

Sure...many people have died. But how many are ACTUAL Corona Casualties?

EXACTLY to both statements in bold. Its insane the amount of personal responsibility and accountability people seem to lack since the virus. We can even argue that they lacked personal responsibility before this virus even started. Rights and freedoms no longer matter because DEATH is abound! HILARIOUS. Since death awaits us at every single turn and its the ONLY thing that's certain in life!

These doctors and "experts" definitely have an agenda, which doesn't benefit the masses. Certainly there's many good doctors and scientist whom are working hard, studying this virus. But there's also many--especially those getting big bucks from certain institutes and organizations--whom have a sinister agenda at play.

We NEVER hear good news, just constant bad news. Why don't we hear about the recovery rates? Why don't we hear about those whom have recovered? And even if we hear about recovery rates or people whom have recovered, the mainstream media also turns that into bad news! Its always the "Yes, I've recovered by my oh my the torment I been through!" or the "Yes, people recover but have long term damage in one way or another". Never hear about those whom have made a perfectly fine recovery.

As to date I've known 15 people whom got the virus. Two of them had it badly because 1) They're BOTH obese and 2) Both have respiratory sickness. Thankfully they've made it through of course. The other 13, from what I know had very mild symptoms. One of my friends is 54, has hereditary high blood pressure and is on dialysis. Yet, he's made it through unscathed and reported that he had common colds that effected him much worse then the virus. And he treated it holistically, as he usually does.

We never hear about the ELDERLY who survive. Ever. Just bad news!

Old 04-26-2020, 09:33 AM

610 posts, read 266,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I think the entitled ones are the folks who are staying home but demanding that others do things for them and complaining because other people aren't out there making toilet paper, masks, tests, whatever, fast enough for them. Yet on the other hand, those same people want everything to stay locked down for months. Unless they want something.

Sometimes I read those posts and feel like those who are out there working are the new servant class to those who stay home and complain.
I would rep this 100x if I could. "Shut it all down!!!!"...unless I need something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates