Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 06:18 PM

749 posts, read 482,896 times

Advertisements

I mean all we have been asked to do is stay at home. We’re not being asked to go to jury duty everyday. This virus shows us that the outside world is overrated. Most jobs can be done at home. We are in fact living in different times. And so many people that complain they can’t go out were just on their phones anyways.

You can still walk around. You can still get food. Whether you’re into video games, movies, or reading, you can do all of that. Heck you can still socialize with FaceTime and video apps. You can see what everyone is doing on Facebook. You wouldn’t be able to do these things in the past.

And all was asked was that you stay home and chill. You can cook. You can eat. You can sing or whistle. Gyms even offer work ins. So you don’t even have to go to the gym..

This is not forever. It’s temporary and short in the big scheme of things. Sometimes in life you can’t have it all. And in order to slow the spread, you just have to sacrifice a little. The way people complain is like they haven’t seen the outside world in years. It hasn’t been that long.

Do we really have to have everything our way? This is a virus that is more deadly than anything we’ve ever seen and if we hadn’t social distanced then maybe we would have 100 million deaths by now. My question is why do people think they are so special that they need to have everything at all times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 07:38 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,565,059 times
I think the main thing people miss is other people. The rest is just window dressing.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
I totally agree, it turns my stomach to hear what some of these crazy people are saying today, they act like the world revolves around them and how they expect things to be and everyone else is just wrong.

Compared to other hard times of the past, this is a freaking breeze...just imagine what Anne Frank and her family went thru...and then to hear people whining and crying about having to lay around the house (while getting stimulus checks, unemployment, the extra $600), they can lay around, sleep til noon everyday, watch tv or play video games all day...oh yes, these people are truly suffering!!! LOL

I would hate to think if WW3 ever breaks out, what these people would do! If they cannot even survive this, they are going to be a wreck in something much more dangerous, heck, they would probably be whining and crying about having no internet or they can no longer buy things made in certain countries!

Something else Ive been hearing from numerous people, I guess some are not eligible to receive unemployment or the stimulus, or they are having problems signing up, they are complaining and crying about how they will make ends meet this month, asking how the state and federal govt is going to help them...they are all over Facebook, they do not know what to do with themselves!

My grandparents were alive during the Depression, I grew up hearing stories of what they had to go thru to get a little bit of money, again, to hear people today whining about this, there is PLENTY they can do to make money, its summer time, go out and mow some yards, bush trimming, various odd jobs people still need to have done, even if they arent making much, its something coming in, they can buy bread, milk, food for the day, but NO, they sit around at home waiting for the govt to help them, or cancel their rent/mortgage. LOL it really makes me sick at how pathetic and weak people have become.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
I think people just may have no concept of what a pandemic means. We've spent decades lulled into a sense of security that could disappear within a couple of weeks. Couldn't possibly happen to us!

One day I was reading on line about where would be the best place to be in case of a national disaster. People were saying "in the city." I just shook my head. Can you imagine being crowded in with thousands of panicked people? I don't think younger generations of us can.

There are (in general) a few generations younger than I which have never had to accept the word, "no" so you can add that and a growing need for instant gratification to the list.

Finally we have a population heavily weighted with stress, depression and suicidal ideation. I think those things also contribute to carelessness.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:28 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,311,830 times
It shows me how easy the government can take people's freedoms

Old 04-25-2020, 02:09 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,935,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
My question is why do people think they are so special that they need to have everything at all times?
I don't really think it's about people who think "they are so special". People create a life and are used to living it daily. They get used to a social structure that might include visiting with friends, seeing loved ones, going out with others in a group, going to the movies, etc. When all of this is suddenly prohibited they feel a genuine loss and are often at odds with how to deal with it. There are also MANY workers and business owners who are facing catastrophic financial losses which will last long after the virus and this causes enormous stress. Add to all of that the number of people who either are or know someone who is sick or worse. All of these things bring to mind the old saying that you can't really judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Something to think about.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:01 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,365,912 times
If engineering an economic collapse that is potentially (much) worse than the Great Depression is being "entitled", then so be it

Old 04-25-2020, 03:34 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,883,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
If engineering an economic collapse that is potentially (much) worse than the Great Depression is being "entitled", then so be it
Exactly! It's not Flu-19 that's the problem. It's the overreaction to it.

I'll gladly do jury duty every day, skimp on my meals, and even enlist in the military. ANYTHING but live under house arrest.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:57 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,349,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It shows me how easy the government can take people's freedoms
Exactly! I view it as a test to see how far the high-placed, high-minded "powers that be" (or wannabee) can intrude upon the lifestyle choices of the man or woman in the street before resistance arises and stiffens.

The argument (and I don't find it completely without merit) is that continued "progress" (?) in the scientific realm might produce a dangerous by-product in the form of life-threatening and unanticipated events. Such a development might call for (hopefully temporary) sacrifices of individual liberties to avoid a larger death toll.

But it's not by coincidence that most of the mentality that promotes this concept is similarly allied with the "global warming" advocacy, and argues via the same appeals to insecurity and resentment of many forms of enterprise.

I think it will be a while before the actions and motivations of the most zealous individuals in this dispute are placed under a closer scrutiny. When that time comes, it behooves us to examine individually the measures taken, so that only those which pose little or no threat to the individual's right to life, liberty, and free enterprise can be invoked quickly, and subjected to strong oversight.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-25-2020 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 04:01 PM

9,996 posts, read 5,698,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I totally agree, it turns my stomach to hear what some of these crazy people are saying today, they act like the world revolves around them and how they expect things to be and everyone else is just wrong.
Sheesh, no kidding. "I might get sick so YOU have to stay home indefinitely!! And if you don't agree YOU WANT PEOPLE TO DIE!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates