Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That sounds great. People don't follow directions in many places here (going the wrong way down one way aisles), aren't wearing masks, aren't properly physically distancing and are generally acting careless. Although it can be like this in one area and be much better one county over depending on the demographic in each place. When I've absolutely had to go out somewhere for essentials, I've tried to be observant and talk to others to get their opinions where people are taking precautions and where they aren't and just avoid patronizing the bad spots.
I live in a county that has had only 75 confirmed cases but people are taking this pandemic seriously. I do admit I have occasionally broke the rule about the one way aisles. It is tough to break old habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's possible because cloth is not air-tight. It isn't a plastic-wrap around your face. It is NOT comfortable. No one LIKES them. It is hardER to breathe while wearing them. But not impossible. I'm claustrophobic, I totally get it, when they first started telling us we had to wear them I seriously considered quitting my job over it. But then I decided - I'm stronger than that. I'm made of tougher stuff, and I've been through worse. I figured out how to adjust.

Also there are masks that are made for people who work with dust; they are stiff "cuplike" masks. They leave room between your nostrils/lips and the mask itself, so the mask isn't really pressing down on your face. Some of these stiffer masks also have air filters set into them. It makes breathing easier, and it's slightly more risky to wear them.

The thing is, when YOU wear a mask, the primary purpose would be to help other people not get sick from YOU. The protection FOR you is less. There's still SOME risk-reduction to yourself when you wear one, but not nearly as much as staying home, keeping your distance when you can't, not touching your face, and washing your hands. A mask will offer *some* protection against other peoples' infections.

It takes some practice for folks like you (and me). I suggest you try again, but in the comfort of your own home. Maybe while you're watching something good on TV where your senses are distracted. Try it until the next commercial, then take the mask off. Put it back on when the commercial break is over. Rinse, repeat.

Adjust the fit of the thing. You can give the outer surface a little pinch to pull it away from your skin at the tip of your nose.

Also even if you are wearing it regularly, you can still pull the bottom or top seam away from your face every few minutes to catch a deep breath of fresh air. Just make sure you don't do that when you're facing other people (as a preventative).

If you truly wish to wear a mask but feel like you're suffocating when you do, AND if you are healthy and don't have lung problems causing this sensation of suffocation, then it's really just a psychological thing and it's something you *can* get through with practice and patience.
This is an excellent post and thanks for pointing this out to people who still don't get it about wearing masks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
In reality, people are not allowed to harm others or themselves. Real life does not work the same as whatever has been written down.

I'm not worried about being hypocritical. I don't care who says I am.

If I want to wear a mask, I will. If I don't want to wear one, I won't. The consequences of both are on me, no one else. I cannot personally control the decisions of others either. If they refuse to wear a mask, fine with me. We just won't hang out together. We consumers also have a choice of places to do business, can move to a state of our choice if the current one we life in is not suitable for us. If we can't, we just try to live within the law. Don't want to live within the laws? Vote to change them. Your side didn't win? Go somewhere that your side is in power.
What if I made the statement, "If I want to drive drunk drunk, I will. If I don't want to drive drunk, I won't."

Get the point? The consequences of wearing a mask are on other people. The consequences of driving drunk are both on you and any other people you kill or injure.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:21 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I live in a county that has had only 75 confirmed cases but people are taking this pandemic seriously. I do admit I have occasionally broke the rule about the one way aisles. It is tough to break old habits.

This is an excellent post and thanks for pointing this out to people who still don't get it about wearing masks.

What if I made the statement, "If I want to drive drunk drunk, I will. If I don't want to drive drunk, I won't."

Get the point? The consequences of wearing a mask are on other people. The consequences of driving drunk are both on you and any other people you kill or injure.
I mentioned before about knowing someone with that exact mentally and that they almost killed someone. I know another who did kill themselves drinking and driving. We cannot stop people from doing what they want. I can only control my own decisions, and even that leads to good or bad consequences down the road.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:51 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
This all sounds like the debate that began when smoking in public was banned. I was a smoker then and I was really annoyed that "they" were taking away my rights. How dare "they" tell me what I could or couldn't do!

I wonder how many people who are against wearing masks today are still smokers?

Old 05-06-2020, 05:23 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's possible because cloth is not air-tight. It isn't a plastic-wrap around your face. It is NOT comfortable. No one LIKES them. It is hardER to breathe while wearing them. But not impossible. I'm claustrophobic, I totally get it, when they first started telling us we had to wear them I seriously considered quitting my job over it. But then I decided - I'm stronger than that. I'm made of tougher stuff, and I've been through worse. I figured out how to adjust.

Also there are masks that are made for people who work with dust; they are stiff "cuplike" masks. They leave room between your nostrils/lips and the mask itself, so the mask isn't really pressing down on your face. Some of these stiffer masks also have air filters set into them. It makes breathing easier, and it's slightly more risky to wear them.

The thing is, when YOU wear a mask, the primary purpose would be to help other people not get sick from YOU. The protection FOR you is less. There's still SOME risk-reduction to yourself when you wear one, but not nearly as much as staying home, keeping your distance when you can't, not touching your face, and washing your hands. A mask will offer *some* protection against other peoples' infections.

It takes some practice for folks like you (and me). I suggest you try again, but in the comfort of your own home. Maybe while you're watching something good on TV where your senses are distracted. Try it until the next commercial, then take the mask off. Put it back on when the commercial break is over. Rinse, repeat.

Adjust the fit of the thing. You can give the outer surface a little pinch to pull it away from your skin at the tip of your nose.

Also even if you are wearing it regularly, you can still pull the bottom or top seam away from your face every few minutes to catch a deep breath of fresh air. Just make sure you don't do that when you're facing other people (as a preventative).

If you truly wish to wear a mask but feel like you're suffocating when you do, AND if you are healthy and don't have lung problems causing this sensation of suffocation, then it's really just a psychological thing and it's something you *can* get through with practice and patience.
It isn’t for me. I’ve tried 10 times at least, it’s not whatsoever physiological there just isn’t enough oxygen to breathe properly. I cannot breathe through two layers of cloth - that’s way too much material. I couldn’t breathe in a Halloween mask either lol. I’d put it on to approach a door and take it off after. I don’t have to go anywhere so I won’t be too worried about it, but it rules out air travel. It’s not safe to go 5 hours without breathing lol or not possible in my case. It’s way beyond uncomfortable - I eat uncomfortable for breakfast. But the idea that I would struggle to breathe to “protect other people” from a virus I don’t have is nonsense, not going to happen.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:31 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Many people just see the words wearing masks as all or nothing. And no one is saying that wearing a mask will absolutely prevent you from getting sick. Some people feel it's a vanity issue. Some people feel it's a constitutional rights issue. Some people simply don't want to be told what to do.

I feel for the time being everyone should have a mask with them like carrying tissues (obviously subject to availability). They can be simple cloth up to N95 (when the medical needs go down and availability up). They should be worn when social distancing is impossible, but no need in rural settings. Now that will cause issues for some if you're at a sporting event for instance which would mean several hours straight. Places like New York City would almost mean wearing one all the timer. I just think those who can wear them should more frequently. I know I will. Maybe over time they'll catch on as a more regular attire.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:11 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It isn’t for me. I’ve tried 10 times at least, it’s not whatsoever physiological there just isn’t enough oxygen to breathe properly. I cannot breathe through two layers of cloth - that’s way too much material. I couldn’t breathe in a Halloween mask either lol. I’d put it on to approach a door and take it off after. I don’t have to go anywhere so I won’t be too worried about it, but it rules out air travel. It’s not safe to go 5 hours without breathing lol or not possible in my case. It’s way beyond uncomfortable - I eat uncomfortable for breakfast. But the idea that I would struggle to breathe to “protect other people” from a virus I don’t have is nonsense, not going to happen.
When would you have to wear a mask for 5 hours?
I've only worn one while I have been in a store and forgot to take it off when I get back in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Many people just see the words wearing masks as all or nothing. And no one is saying that wearing a mask will absolutely prevent you from getting sick. Some people feel it's a vanity issue. Some people feel it's a constitutional rights issue. Some people simply don't want to be told what to do.
A simple mask will do very little to prevent you from getting sick. You don't wear one to protect you, you wear it to protect others. It is obvious that many people still do not understand this.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:17 PM

355 posts, read 225,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I also see a lot of folks who say don't trust WHO or Dr Fauci. So which is it?

There is a lot of evidence that they DO help against transmission by dampening sneezes and coughs.
My neighbor has a sign in his window about the WHO.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:59 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
CDC conflicting information and flip flopped.
contrasting safety from masks from epidemiologists & doctors worldwide.
Studies in Britain also say it is ineffective as well as N95 against the flu and Covid-19

A doctor in Northern California said cloth masks are 2% effective. She said it lets in 98% of air from the sides.
It should be discarded. It's so-called safety is for appearance.
Try a search on Google is difficult because you see the first few pages littered with ABC, NBC, news and local papers.
Look for medical journal studies.

Another doctor said she had 10 different studies about their ineffectiveness.
i don't have al the links.do a search if you want to.
So, just like lawyers, doctors have different opinions or want to feel more important than the other.
I don't know. I'll use it when it's crowded but not if the store is pretty much empty.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:26 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
CDC conflicting information and flip flopped.
contrasting safety from masks from epidemiologists & doctors worldwide.
Studies in Britain also say it is ineffective as well as N95 against the flu and Covid-19

A doctor in Northern California said cloth masks are 2% effective. She said it lets in 98% of air from the sides.
It should be discarded. It's so-called safety is for appearance.
Try a search on Google is difficult because you see the first few pages littered with ABC, NBC, news and local papers.
Look for medical journal studies.

Another doctor said she had 10 different studies about their ineffectiveness.
i don't have al the links.do a search if you want to.
So, just like lawyers, doctors have different opinions or want to feel more important than the other.
I don't know. I'll use it when it's crowded but not if the store is pretty much empty.
What were the studies testing, keeping the virus in or keeping it out?
What I've seen is that most masks are good at keeping the wearer from spreading their germs, but not very good at protecting the wearer from other people's germs.

People who refuse to wear masks are not increasing their own vulnerability by much, but they are making it more likely that others can catch anything the maskless person might have.

And even testing negative is just a snapshot of a moment in time; you might be infected by the very next person you pass.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:07 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
In reality, people are not allowed to harm others or themselves. Real life does not work the same as whatever has been written down.

I'm not worried about being hypocritical. I don't care who says I am.

If I want to wear a mask, I will. If I don't want to wear one, I won't. The consequences of both are on me, no one else. I cannot personally control the decisions of others either. If they refuse to wear a mask, fine with me. We just won't hang out together. We consumers also have a choice of places to do business, can move to a state of our choice if the current one we life in is not suitable for us. If we can't, we just try to live within the law. Don't want to live within the laws? Vote to change them. Your side didn't win? Go somewhere that your side is in power.

Incorrect! The consequences of your actions may be death for someone to whom you transmit COVID-19.

And unless you have been tested with a 100% error free test and were found to have been virus-free and have been in virus-free isolation since being sampled you cannot say you don't have the disease. By the way, there is no test that is 100% error-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates