Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 09:27 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2...led-comparison

WHO has stated thete isn't much evidence indicating they help much.
Then why do EMS and medical personnel WEAR THEM?!!

Old 05-06-2020, 09:49 PM

388 posts, read 307,081 times
It is safety theatre, just like the TSA is security theatre. The value is in making people feel safer and creating a folk demon on which to place blame, regardless of any actual benefit as far as the spread of disease is concerned. Be a good, compliant citizen, and don't question the "experts" who wish to rule over you. Obey without question, because after all, the law is the law, and the law is meant to be obeyed no matter what. Shun those who don't participate in signalling the appropriate level of social consciousness. Sorry, I won't play along and I won't force my customers to do so either.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks. But my question is, why are some people making such a big stink about it? Why are some people calling it government overreach, and urging mass disobedience? Other than a bit of discomfort, why is it such a big deal with some people to be told to wear masks?
Because Americans have not experienced any kind of virus outbreak before since WWI. We've been spared by the 2 large bodies of ocean shielding us from all kinds of virus outbreaks on other continents. Because of technology and globalism we are connected with other continents by airplanes and the virus got here as easy as taking a flight.

America has been spared of past famine, black plague, swine flu, and ebola. Maybe when the virus hits hard the next wave, people will put on the mask and shutup.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:39 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
It is safety theatre, just like the TSA is security theatre. The value is in making people feel safer and creating a folk demon on which to place blame, regardless of any actual benefit as far as the spread of disease is concerned. Be a good, compliant citizen, and don't question the "experts" who wish to rule over you. Obey without question, because after all, the law is the law, and the law is meant to be obeyed no matter what. Shun those who don't participate in signalling the appropriate level of social consciousness. Sorry, I won't play along and I won't force my customers to do so either.
So you don't know that you and your customers may be spreading a deadly virus or you don't care you may be?

Old 05-07-2020, 01:36 AM

10,061 posts, read 7,229,638 times
What's fascinating about this conversation is the similarity with discussions I've seen about condoms.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:14 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think some people childishly insist on doing whatever they want.

In the case of seatbelts or motorcycle helmets, they are mainly putting themselves at greater risk, but masks seem to protect other people, so it's quite selfish to refuse.
Plus one. And this too. You are not only endangering yourselves, but you are also endangering others.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:04 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Because Americans are stupid and selfish.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:05 AM

136 posts, read 98,012 times
I'm going to give a different perspective on wearing a mask. I was born with severe asthma. I have been on a ventilator at least 7 times as a child! Yes, because that was the only way to of been able to save my life! I remember what its like and I'm 54 now, to be on one! IT is totally NOT fun! Much easier to wear a mask then to wear a ventilator, also known as life support! It hurts like hel to be put on one, you cannot eat or drink! You cannot even talk!!! Imagine when you want to ask a question, guess what? You can"t! If your breathing bad enough that they need to put you on a ventilator its because without it, you will die!

I'm still an asthmatic, tho thankfully it under control. I do wear a mask when I go out. Everyone, please think about that, its much easier to wear the mask to save not only yourself, but everyone around you from having to wear life support!

Old 05-07-2020, 06:17 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
I find that loosening the mask just slightly makes it more bearable. You're not exposing your mouth or nose just moving it slightly away from your nose and mouth so you have more room to breathe. I also find that a bandana scarf is more breathable than a paper mask.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:07 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
I am not backwards.

I am educated.

And I am a reasonably "smart" guy.
Then you know that my mask protects you, and your mask protects me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Because it's ridiculous overreach to tell people what to wear in public?
No shirt, no shoes, no service. Add "no mask" to that for awhile. It's not difficult.

Quote:
I'm being cynical, but it's not about health, it's about optics. Masks don't protect you from the virus at all, especially not cloth ones, but they supposedly protect others to some limited extent.
That's the whole point - to protect others. None of us know with any shred of certainty that we're not infected. Anyone who's infected can pass the virus to someone else. This isn't rocket science; I'm dumbfounded that so many people are having trouble with this basic concept.

Quote:
How do you take TWO pieces of cloth that hug your mouth and your nose and breathe through that?! I'd love some explanation of how that's even possible.
Breathe in, breathe out. It works! If it didn't, you'd see an awful lot of people passed out with masks on their faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates