Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 10:54 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
N95 masks are what's needed and yes, surgical and cloth masks don't do much. That being said. Something is better than nothing. It's unfortunate that in America we didn't manufacture N95 masks months ago. I hope the supply chain catches up soon. We have 3 N95's and some Chinese KN95's. I don't trust them but it's good enough for our daily walks in case we can't social distance. I'll wear one over my N95 for my Dr's appointment next week.

Why the resistance to wearing masks? Yeah, I don't get the mentality. Like it or not the stores around here require masks. They won't let you in without one.
I would rather make my own mask than spend my money on a Chinese made KN95 mask. Some are so poorly made that don’t even pass level one mask standards.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:24 PM

24,640 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Because they're not comfortable... I almost feel like I'm suffocating when I wear one..
They also fog up your glasses if you have any. I’ve also seen countless folks not wearing them correctly.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:43 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I made my own. I actually had a scrub shirt, not that I believe that fabric is somehow necessarily superior because it's associated with medicine, but it was a tight-weave fabric with a certain rigidity to it, that I figured I could make work for this project. I made it with an attempt at pleats, and ear-loops fitted to me, and most useful of all, a pipe cleaner sewn into the top hem of it. I wear glasses, and as many have noticed, mask wearing can cause glasses to fog.

The way it fits, it's snug under my chin along my neck, a good portion of it hugs that area at the bottom, the pipe cleaner keeps it fairly fitted along the top, so that it contours to my nose and face curves and my glasses don't fog up. If I breathe forcefully through it, like huff air out, I can feel it escaping near my ears, so I think that most of the airflow is going on along the sides like that. Yes, it feels like breathing stale, hot, moist air, re-breathing my own exhalations, and yes, the first couple of times I wore it, I felt a bit panicky. But I took slower, deeper breaths and realized that in fact I was just fine, and I kept with it.

Do I think for one second, that this thing would keep all airborne virus particles contained, in or out? Absolutely not.

But I was pretty sure that we were told early on, that most of the respirated transmission was associated with droplets of saliva or mucus, whether from a cough or sneeze, or what can just fly through the air when we talk sometimes, stuff like that? THAT is what I assume the mask is there to contain.

What bothers me about these conversations, is that 100% prevention of contagion and new Covid cases was not ever the goal, to the best of my knowledge, of ANY measure the public was asked to undertake. Asking people to stay at home 100% and somehow do without groceries, wasn't realistic. Asking people to get adequate PPE to fully prevent contamination either direction, also unrealistic. The idea, was always to make enough of a good-faith effort to REDUCE risk and transmission, to slow this down enough that hospitals did not hit critical capacity all at once. That whole "flatten the curve" situation wasn't a means to for us to beat Covid, on its own. It was a means for us to buy time, reduce deaths, especially those that can be avoided if adequate medical care is AVAILABLE for the number of serious cases that occur.

I would love it if we got some good science on various types of masks and what % if any of risk mitigation exists with various kinds, or if in fact they do increase risk (to wearers? to others?) But I'm going to need to see properly done science on that subject before I shift my position on it.

One thing that does concern me though, someone mentioned a false sense of security and I do see that, but there are people in the stores who aren't keeping social distance whether masks are on faces or no. I stopped going to Walmart some time ago, last time I went it seemed less than half of people in the store were masked, folks still bringing the whole family, screaming snotty children as usual, people crowded together in the aisles trying to pass each other... I now only visit the smaller grocers where it feels less like a zoo.

But ya know, we all have the choice to take our money elsewhere.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:59 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,567 times
For what it's worth, I reluctantly wear one, if the store(s) require it.
It's allergy season, and I'm sure if I sneeze or cough, it'll cause a mass stampede for the exits.
I would be known as the village leper.
So, I shall comply; for now. And wait until COVID dies down, or does whatever it pleases, as is the case.
Can't control Mother Nature.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:02 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Becasue people are a bunch of babyish whiners.

Next question!

Old 05-08-2020, 01:04 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Next question!

Old 05-08-2020, 04:05 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
I absolutely hate those masks. I won't wear one outside while walking, But I will wear it indoors anywhere where I am asked to. It's a small inconvenience to keep businesses open. The people protesting Costco for requiring masks, I say vote with their feet and don't go. I will enjoy the smaller crowds there. I see Costco workers hustling and taking precautions and they deserve to be protected.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:11 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
Some people are selfish and will only do what is required. Yes, only official N95 masks filter out the virus like 99.5%, but other masks do help with keeping people's breath and droplets from coughs or sneezes more contained in their space. And that reduces transmission. Is it 100%? Course not but it's much better than nothing.

I was in Sam's Club the other week (they don't require masks) and I saw a maskless man sneeze on the meat counter area. So whatever that man had was passed on to whoever touched those meat packages.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:18 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Some people are selfish and will only do what is required. Yes, only official N95 masks filter out the virus like 99.5%, but other masks do help with keeping people's breath and droplets from coughs or sneezes more contained in their space. And that reduces transmission. Is it 100%? Course not but it's much better than nothing.

I was in Sam's Club the other week (they don't require masks) and I saw a maskless man sneeze on the meat counter area. So whatever that man had was passed on to whoever touched those meat packages.
If he’s inconsiderate enough to sneeze like that in public (instead of sneezing into the crook of the elbow) then I doubt he would even bother to wear a mask properly if required (like pulling it down to the chin as some have done).

Old 05-08-2020, 05:45 PM

208 posts, read 210,679 times
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks.

Right, especially when you have to do it 8-12 hours a day (like me) and then again when you have to go to the store. Of course according to the current mentality I could just stay home and let the government take care of me. Right? I mean, why work if you can go on the dole like so many others have had to do AGAINST THEIR WILL.

There is a lot of evidence that they DO help against transmission by dampening sneezes and coughs.

And so does coughing/sneezing into your elbow or inside your jacket (like I do), washing your hands, using extra caution if you're not feeling well. What ever happened to those methods? They USED to work or we wouldn't have used them...right?

I realize its to keep me safe in the event of a crash. Same deal with a mask really, I wonder how many of these people refuse to wear seat belts?

Who knows. Should be an adult choice, between them and their insurance companies. People want to be treated like adults. That doesn't mean breaking the law but instead not making the law. That means allowing them to take their own risks. Like choosing to wear a mask or not, choosing to wear a seat belt or not, choosing to smoke or not, etc. Not having a helicopter, parenting, government hovering over them every second of the day trying to make all of their life's decisions for them. Let them make their own decisions, take their own risks and live with their own consequences.

Because some people are SELFISH and not concerned about protecting the health of OTHERS if they are asymptomatic carriers.

Wrong. Admit it. It has nothing to do with the protection of others and everything to do with trying to control others' behavior. And a lot of "virtue signalling thrown in, in the case of this forum. "Oh, I'm so great, I wear a mask to protect others, don't you"? "Oh yes, but some people are just so selfish, they don't truly care like we do" "Yes, he's so stupid for not agreeing with us that you should be wearing a mask"....... Meanwhile many millions are out of work or losing their life's work in businesses they created. And wondering where their next meal or mortgage payment will come from. Where is the sympathy for them?

That's the whole point - to protect others. None of us know with any shred of certainty that we're not infected. Anyone who's infected can pass the virus to someone else. This isn't rocket science; I'm dumbfounded that so many people are having trouble with this basic concept.

I have a better idea. How about, if you are in a high risk category OR if you are not well OR you are just plain afraid you isolate at home and let the rest of us go on about our business as usual. My 80 something year old mother-in-law stays home and has her son (who uses precautions) do her shopping for her. Of course she grew up in a different generation, one in which they didn't expect everyone else to roll over for them. What? Not every at-risk person has someone to shop for them? Well, now there's something that you can volunteer to do with your time rather than trying to babysit the rest of us.

I think some people childishly insist on doing whatever they want.

And some people childishly insist on doing EVERYTHING government suggests AND insisting that everyone else does so too........ "Mommie Jimmy's not wearing his mask like you told him too......."

Have you heard? There is a world wide horrific pandemic? Masks work. We need to fight this with whatever we can.

How can I have NOT heard!! With CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS NBC and my own local news channel plus the radio and internet continuing to trumpet the current condition and giving daily body counts like we're back in the Vietnam War . Do we do this for regular flu deaths? For heart disease deaths? Deaths from cancer" No. Nothing like a little fear mongering...right? This is the first time in history we've reacted this way.

I saw a maskless man sneeze on the meat counter area

I will agree, this is thoughtless. Should have moved away and used his elbow or inside jacket.

Yes. So people stop whining about others not wearing a mask. As the old saying goes "You can't control others behavior but you can control your own". If you want to wear one, no one is stopping you. If you want to stay home and isolate, no one is stopping you. Please leave the rest of us alone. (Because is spelled like this).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates