Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 08:04 AM

500 posts, read 359,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Do you moderate your behavior for the benefit of your fellow man only to extent of what you're legally obligated to do?

It's not illegal to fart in public either, but I guess I'm just that courteous

Honestly, even if it's just for the emotional comfort of the elderly people at the grocery store, I'm happy to oblige. It's not that big of a deal for me to wear a mask. As much as I hate being told what to do, I don't feel like my freedoms are being stepped on here. Plenty of that going on in other arenas of society.
I'm courteous also. I try hard not to fart around others. I hold doors open for people.

There is evidence that the majority of masks aren't really doing what people think they're doing.

So we have gone from flattening the curve, to 1 per million standard, to let's make people emotionally comfortable.

Talk about a moving target.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:12 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
I'm courteous also. I try hard not to fart around others. I hold doors open for people.

There is evidence that the majority of masks aren't really doing what people think they're doing.

So we have gone from flattening the curve, to 1 per million standard, to let's make people emotionally comfortable.

Talk about a moving target.
Someone I once knew use to hold his seatbelt over him just to make it look like he was wearing it if he spotted cop. Guess it made him emotionally comfortable. He ended up later in life almost killing someone with his car while not wearing a seatbelt and a drink in hand.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:38 AM

181 posts, read 159,623 times
Agree with @Nevada2012. It's become more of social credit type of thing akin to virtue signaling. It's not very effective. For the majority of us, we're not in New York type environment, where you're jostling in a crowd. I get it, if it's required to get on a crowded subway or plane; but in Texas there's few places where it seems truly applicable as long as you're doing your best to social distance, wash hands, and not touch your face.

The second part of this, is that somehow, we have to continue to have people catch the virus. I'm fairly healthy, so to me it makes sense to catch it. Remember, we were trying to flatten the curve; no one ever said we were eliminating the disease. So if we're too sterile, then it is more likely to there will be another huge spike, versus rolling waves. In other words we're postponing a huge spike. Places like Sweden have shown a spike and then plateau. We need more people with healthy immune systems getting exposed to build that herd immunity. I'm happy to be of service. https://thehill.com/changing-america...y-in-weeks-top

Third part, if we are to all catch this; I'd rather be on the front end of it while there's space in the hospital and resources. Currently, healthcare facilities in general are struggling to stay solvent because they aren't getting overrun by patients, and elective surgery's are just now resuming. If I'm getting sick, I'd rather be sick now, not in the middle of a swell come the cold and flu season in the fall. I can only imagine how crazy people are going to get when that kicks off this year.

Last edited by VAF84; 05-05-2020 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Added link, reworded sentence

Old 05-05-2020, 08:44 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
People act like they'll have to wear them 24 hours a day - fact is, if they are limiting exposure by otherwise social distancing it will likely be for 15 min. at most once or twice a day when they have to go out in public!

Maaaaaybe when everyone goes back to work they'll be asked to wear them then - but healthcare workers are doing that now for 12 hour shifts! If they can do it, why can't we? Seriously, it might seem like forever, but it won't be.

Unfortunately common sense doesn't exist in some people.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:02 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud49 View Post
Seat belts are required by law are masks?

Apparently in some places, yes.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:07 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Agree with @Nevada2012. It's become more of social credit type of thing akin to virtue signaling. It's not very effective. For the majority of us, we're not in New York type environment, where you're jostling in a crowd. I get it, if it's required to get on a crowded subway or plane; but in Texas there's few places where it seems truly applicable as long as you're doing your best to social distance, wash hands, and not touch your face.
I agree. This is why crowded cities and crowded work areas seem to be where the hot spots happen.

Quote:
The second part of this, is that somehow, we have to continue to have people catch the virus. I'm fairly healthy, so to me it makes sense to catch it. Remember, we were trying to flatten the curve; no one ever said we were eliminating the disease. So if we're too sterile, then it is more likely to there will be another huge spike, versus rolling waves. In other words we're postponing a huge spike. Places like Sweden have shown a spike and then plateau. We need more people with healthy immune systems getting exposed to build that herd immunity. I'm happy to be of service. https://thehill.com/changing-america...y-in-weeks-top
The problem is that it is not 100% certain that herd immunity to this virus will make a difference. Or how long you might be immune, if at all. If a 2nd wave comes this fall or winter, would you be immune then?

Quote:
Third part, if we are to all catch this; I'd rather be on the front end of it while there's space in the hospital and resources. Currently, healthcare facilities in general are struggling to stay solvent because they aren't getting overrun by patients, and elective surgery's are just now resuming. If I'm getting sick, I'd rather be sick now, not in the middle of a swell come the cold and flu season in the fall. I can only imagine how crazy people are going to get when that kicks off this year.
Again we need to know if you are immune once you get it. Otherwise you are just putting yourself at risk for no reason at all. And if you happen to be unlucky enough to end up on a ventilator you most likely will die and if you live you will likely have to live with life changing health problems.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:48 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
The crowd means it moves faster -but clearly - it moves even without a crowd. I don't consider our tiny community "crowded" but we've got more dead people than most counties around here.

You're right about the mask - it's not doing much if no one else is around. But when I'm in the store - there ARE people around. Next to me on six sides. If I can keep my distance - I do. When I can't - mask. Actually, I've just been wearing a thick scarf - it's still winter here - seems to work at at least keeping the angry stares off of me.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:59 AM

181 posts, read 159,623 times
Agree, but there's only one way to find out. So the rest of the people who refuse to go out need people like myself and others who are willing to take the risks involved. Ultimately, it wouldn't matter anyway; because if there is no immunity and we're all still going to catch it, then it's just business as usual. I am of the view that we all have to assume there won't be a vaccine, and we also have to assume that the vaccine maybe like a flu vaccine that will not cover all strains making it only somewhat effective. Getting a vaccine is a bonus, not a guarantee.

Then it boils down to personal philosophy. Personally, I'd rather die of the virus, than live the rest of my life in a permanent world of social distancing and 24/7 masks. For one, there are worse ways to go. Two, death comes for us all one way or another. Also, in my opinion, our way of life is more important than my one life. What kind of life will my kids have if we decimate the economy by hiding in our homes. What kind of a world is it where we can't see people's smiles, expressions, and emotions. A place where you view the people around you as potential masked murderers versus the warmth of another human being.

Some may disagree, but my risks pay off for others. If I continue going about my business, people can continue to employee their people and feed their families. If I fall ill, it helps support many associated businesses; supply companies, facility maintainers, doctors, nurses, insurance companies, administrators, food service, software companies, utilities, the list goes on. We all have to do our part, and as crazy as it seems, this is my contribution.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:13 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I think it helps, a bit, to impede the flow of the dreaded droplets. I made our masks, which are not super effective at protecting us. But, if I understand this properly, they are somewhat protective toward others.

I admit they aren’t particularly comfortable, but is that important now?

I think if we all wore masks, and practiced distancing, we would have fewer cases of the virus and fewer deaths. I do regard wearing my mask as a courtesy toward you and others. I know it is not a great deterrent. But we have few weapons to protect ourselves. Masks, distancing, hand hygiene—that’s pretty much it for individuals who want to help stop the spread of this virus.

I would love to be in a place where masks were redundant. Not there yet.

We are all inconvenienced. It is literally a fact that we all have a responsibility to our fellow citizens. We all should be socially responsible.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:15 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,401 times
Quote:
Agree, but there's only one way to find out. So the rest of the people who refuse to go out need people like myself and others who are willing to take the risks involved. Ultimately, it wouldn't matter anyway; because if there is no immunity and we're all still going to catch it, then it's just business as usual. I am of the view that we all have to assume there won't be a vaccine, and we also have to assume that the vaccine maybe like a flu vaccine that will not cover all strains making it only somewhat effective. Getting a vaccine is a bonus, not a guarantee.

Then it boils down to personal philosophy. Personally, I'd rather die of the virus, than live the rest of my life in a permanent world of social distancing and 24/7 masks. For one, there are worse ways to go. Two, death comes for us all one way or another. Also, in my opinion, our way of life is more important than my one life. What kind of life will my kids have if we decimate the economy by hiding in our homes. What kind of a world is it where we can't see people's smiles, expressions, and emotions. A place where you view the people around you as potential masked murderers versus the warmth of another human being.

Some may disagree, but my risks pay off for others. If I continue going about my business, people can continue to employee their people and feed their families. If I fall ill, it helps support many associated businesses; supply companies, facility maintainers, doctors, nurses, insurance companies, administrators, food service, software companies, utilities, the list goes on. We all have to do our part, and as crazy as it seems, this is my contribution.
As does my buying, working, and wearing a mask when in public supports other people. I can buy many things from home, support the delivery drivers. I can ride public transportation, support the bus drivers. I can work at home, support myself. I can wear a mask in public, my choice in supporting myself and everyone else's freedom. Personal preference for me. Personal preference for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates