Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:50 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
....I think that many people get tired of the same arguments and the same people citing the same facts.

Only one side is stating facts.

The other side is discarding them, and moving the goal posts, as shown above in the quote from the OPs previous post.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think the response is shocking and to be honest very scary to me how the media and fear mongering is having such an effect on our minds to lock up healthy people like we are doing. Read these couple of articles to get where I am coming from. The Hong Kong Flu killed 100,000 in the US back when our population was only 200 million and people only lived to an average age of 70 instead of today's 79. That would make the Hong Kong Flu much worse if it happened today and probably would have a death total of 250K in the US alone if you plugged in those numbers from years ago to today's population and age. Not to mention how fat we are now compared to the late 60's. So why are we locking up our healthy and disregarding everything else, but the pandemic?

https://www.aier.org/article/woodsto...4E_x_xRHKdCTKk

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...-flu-pandemic/
In 1969, the US had over 500,000 more hospital beds for over 100 million fewer people. Nobody was left on a gurney in the hallway. In the intervening years, the US health care system has deteriorated to the point that it can no longer care for all Americans. One of the big problems with a national health care system is that we don't have enough doctors for all Americans to have one.

The shutdown has been to keep a widespread epidemic from overwhelming our health care system. It could still happen. We'll see. In the meantime, with 4.5% of the world population, the US has had 23% of the world's Covid-19 fatalities. It's a window into how pathetic we are.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:42 AM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In 1969, the US had over 500,000 more hospital beds for over 100 million fewer people. Nobody was left on a gurney in the hallway. In the intervening years, the US health care system has deteriorated to the point that it can no longer care for all Americans. One of the big problems with a national health care system is that we don't have enough doctors for all Americans to have one.

The shutdown has been to keep a widespread epidemic from overwhelming our health care system. It could still happen. We'll see. In the meantime, with 4.5% of the world population, the US has had 23% of the world's Covid-19 fatalities. It's a window into how pathetic we are.
23%? Let's see, one estimate for face-saving China is 3,000,000, and 23% of that is? You're certainly not putting any weight on the figures that come out of China are you?

Why are we acting so different now. IMO, mankind has become more robotic and fearful of government.

And how do you single out a trustworthy scientific research study, when research scientists can be more corrupt than politicians. Remember the 50's? Even Doctor's were minimizing the effect of smoking!

Old 05-16-2020, 08:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In the intervening years, the US health care system has...
Has learned that MOST recovering patients aren't helped by laying in bed.
Treat 'em and street 'em isn't perfect either but that's a different set of complaints for you to make.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:32 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
23%? Let's see, one estimate for face-saving China is 3,000,000, and 23% of that is? You're certainly not putting any weight on the figures that come out of China are you?

Why are we acting so different now. IMO, mankind has become more robotic and fearful of government.

And how do you single out a trustworthy scientific research study, when research scientists can be more corrupt than politicians. Remember the 50's? Even Doctor's were minimizing the effect of smoking!
I believe China as much as I believe the US. China slammed the door on the Wuhan outbreak and shut it down. The US stumbled into it like a pack of idiots. The number of US deaths are almost certainly higher than reported, since only 8 states require an autopsy of someone found dead at home, and nobody is testing corpses.

If you think limiting the number of deaths to Covid-19 is a government plot, have at it. Meanwhile, we are leading the world. We'll hit 100,000 deaths sometime this month, and with everything opening up we'll easily be at a quarter of a million dead by fall.

If you think those TV doctors in the '50s were actually doctors, you are amazingly gullible. They were actors and paid tobacco industry shills. Do you really need a scientist to tell you 1500 Americans a day are dying from the virus?

Old 05-21-2020, 01:16 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think the response is shocking and to be honest very scary to me how the media and fear mongering is having such an effect on our minds to lock up healthy people like we are doing. Read these couple of articles to get where I am coming from. The Hong Kong Flu killed 100,000 in the US back when our population was only 200 million and people only lived to an average age of 70 instead of today's 79. That would make the Hong Kong Flu much worse if it happened today and probably would have a death total of 250K in the US alone if you plugged in those numbers from years ago to today's population and age. Not to mention how fat we are now compared to the late 60's. So why are we locking up our healthy and disregarding everything else, but the pandemic?

https://www.aier.org/article/woodsto...4E_x_xRHKdCTKk

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...-flu-pandemic/

Sad to say but I believe much of the media driven hysteria is motivated by politics. We've got an election this Nov. and there's a segment of society which feels Trump needs to go whatever the cost.

If ruining the economy is the price to be paid for preventing a Trump reelection than so be it.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:00 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeasThoughtsAndMore View Post
Are you implying that if this same pandemic had occurred 5 years ago, everything would be open as usual?

What I am saying is if this were 2012 the MSM wouldn't be using the pandemic as a means to hurt Obama's reelection.

If anything Obama's handling of the crisis would have been reported favorable regardless of any mistakes he might have made.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
The reason COVID-19 (2020) is treated differently than the Hong Kong flu of 1968 -- is that they are two entirely different things.

Hong Kong Flu, 1968–1969; - First cases in the U.S. detected in September 1968, with 33,800 deaths between 9/68 and 3/69 .... .making it the mildest flu pandemic in the 20th century. Improved medical care and antibiotics effective for secondary bacterial infections were available, minimizing fatalities. Flu/cold symptoms clearly identifiable.

COVID-19: 2020 Highly infectious (1.6 million in U.S.; 5+million in world to date and increasing); Virus (not treatable with antibiotics); Potentially lethal (96,000 deaths in U.S.; 325,000 in world); No known cure, treatment or immunity. Largely spread by asymptomatic people.

IMO, the fact that so many are FAILING to recognize and respond differently to COVID-19 (versus seasonal flu ... for which vaccines are generally available) is contributing greatly to the damage being inflicted already -- A second wave will likely be severe because so many with 'cabin fever' seem to confuse a partial, economic re-opening with an "all clear, business-as-usual" signal.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:27 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
What I am saying is if this were 2012 the MSM wouldn't be using the pandemic as a means to hurt Obama's reelection.

If anything Obama's handling of the crisis would have been reported favorable regardless of any mistakes he might have made.
Very few people expect politicians to be perfect. Therefore I think most people are willing to overlook errors that occur during a crisis by people who appear to be operating in good faith. Its been clear from the beginning that Our Dear Leader's focus has been on his reelection. Remember when Our Dear Leader expressed his concern about letting people off of the Grand Princess because the number of active cases in the US would be higher.

Sometimes when people are getting bad coverage in the press its because the press is reporting accurately the dump or stupid things the person has said or done.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Sad to say but I believe much of the media driven hysteria is motivated by politics. We've got an election this Nov. and there's a segment of society which feels Trump needs to go whatever the cost.

If ruining the economy is the price to be paid for preventing a Trump reelection than so be it.
Quote:

All I can say is if this is what you take out of all the information presented about coronavirus you've got me absolutely dumbfounded.

This is a serious disease whether you can bring yourself to admit it or not. No one--including me--blames Trump for the coronavirus, but his handling of it clearly, clearly leaves much to be desired.

His remarks about injecting yourself with Lysol as a treatment were merely the capstone of a poor performance many of us watched on television everyday until he brought the whole thing to an end.

I do not know whether Trump will be reelected or not. However, your seeming belief that "much of the media driven hysteria is motivated by politics" could not be further from the truth. Anyone who is president at this time--including Obama--would have to expect to be held to a high standard of leadership

We are not seeing that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates