Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Granted that was nutty but overall I think he's done a good job handling this crisis.

And yes, I believe the MSM has spun the pandemic in the most negative light in order to hurt his reelection. This was supposed to be Trump's Katrina but sadly for many that's the case.

And no, I don't think if this were 2012 the MSM would cover a similar crisis anything like this presidency.

They would have given Obama the benefit of the doubt and cut him some slack.

But Trump will likely win come Nov. and the USSC and Fed courts will continue to move to the right. But don't worry once his term is over the Rep. establishment will kick him to the curb.

Nevertheless, he'll go down in history has having completely transformed the courts. Leaving the Left on the sidelines for the next 40 years.

Which is fine by me.
I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but for crying out loud- what a ridiculous comment! Do you realize that this pandemic is affecting people and countries around the world, and that our doctors, our scientists, and our media are talking about this the same way that they are in most other countries? Why would the GLOBAL approach to this somehow all be tilted against Trump? Do you know that in other countries- where they are talking about this the same way as our media is- that they do not care one bit about Trump, they are more concerned about their own countries and their own people and protecting them from the virus?

The MSM is not "spinning" the pandemic into anything- they are reporting what is happening, and calling out our leader just as they would no matter who he/she was if he/she was failing as miserably as Trump has been! They are comparing against what doctors and scientists are saying should be done, as well as comparing against what most other countries on the planet have done.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:52 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
And yes, I believe the MSM has spun the pandemic in the most negative light in order to hurt his reelection. This was supposed to be Trump's Katrina but sadly for many that's the case.
Actually, the pandemic should have been a lay-up for Trump. It's a classic opportunity for leadership. Just look at governors. And, no, it's not just Democratic governors. Among the governors with the highest approval ratings regarding how they have dealt with COVID-19 are Hogan in Maryland and Baker in Massachusetts, both Republicans. They've listened to the experts, they've been cautious and put lives over profits, and the public has approved.

The problem is neither COVID-19 nor the media.

It's Trump and his insistence on wallowing in denial and refusing to use the expertise of epidemiologists out of his pathetic emotional need to win every news cycle.

Trump could have ridden this pandemic to re-election but he was too ignorant - and psychologically incapable of - doing so.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:38 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but for crying out loud- what a ridiculous comment! Do you realize that this pandemic is affecting people and countries around the world, and that our doctors, our scientists, and our media are talking about this the same way that they are in most other countries? Why would the GLOBAL approach to this somehow all be tilted against Trump? Do you know that in other countries- where they are talking about this the same way as our media is- that they do not care one bit about Trump, they are more concerned about their own countries and their own people and protecting them from the virus?
The Trumpian angle is sheer partisan histrionics; on this we can agree. But I would aver, that worldwide, the 'rona threat is being magnified beyond proportion. Fear is rampant and downright psychotic. Worldwide, we have been mesmerized by an animal fear of death, misapprehending the true magnitude of the risk.

So, what is the solution? I suggest, that we should accept the inevitability of 100% worldwide infection, and the resulting consequences. This is, to be sure, tragic and even grotesque. But it is better than the alternative. It is the least-bad situation.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:09 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
So, what is the solution? I suggest, that we should accept the inevitability of 100% worldwide infection, and the resulting consequences. This is, to be sure, tragic and even grotesque. But it is better than the alternative. It is the least-bad situation.
No, that is the worst case scenario.

People need to stop acting like idiots, use masks, socially distance, and wash their hands. Doing that will make it possible for most businesses to function.

The hospitality industries are going to have to adapt for the foreseeable future.

Getting a vaccine or vaccines should help.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The death rate at this point in time is the same as the seasonal flu, .26%. People are only scared because the media keeps scaring everyone with the numbers. But those numbers are over inflated. Many of the people that are on that list were quite elderly and already suffering with multiple comorbidities. Some 40% are nursing home residents. The rules specified that even if you were run over by a bus, if your corpse tested positive for covid, that was to be listed as a covid death.

Many doctors have stated that people should have been allowed to continue their normal lives, and the elderly and sickly protect themselves. Nursing homes are rightly shut to visitors, but at this point in time, 99.9 of people who get sick will recover.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The death rate at this point in time is the same as the seasonal flu, .26%. People are only scared because the media keeps scaring everyone with the numbers. But those numbers are over inflated. Many of the people that are on that list were quite elderly and already suffering with multiple comorbidities. Some 40% are nursing home residents. The rules specified that even if you were run over by a bus, if your corpse tested positive for covid, that was to be listed as a covid death.

Many doctors have stated that people should have been allowed to continue their normal lives, and the elderly and sickly protect themselves. Nursing homes are rightly shut to visitors, but at this point in time, 99.9 of people who get sick will recover.
Even if they had comorbidities it was the coronavirus that killed them. Many of those nursing home residents would have lived years longer if they had not become infected.

Please cite the rules you are referring to, because that is not what the CDC said.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

Surviving is not the same as recovering, and a significant number of survivors are having persistent problems, some of which may be permanent.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,174,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think the response is shocking and to be honest very scary to me how the media and fear mongering is having such an effect on our minds to lock up healthy people like we are doing. Read these couple of articles to get where I am coming from. The Hong Kong Flu killed 100,000 in the US back when our population was only 200 million and people only lived to an average age of 70 instead of today's 79. That would make the Hong Kong Flu much worse if it happened today and probably would have a death total of 250K in the US alone if you plugged in those numbers from years ago to today's population and age. Not to mention how fat we are now compared to the late 60's. So why are we locking up our healthy and disregarding everything else, but the pandemic?

https://www.aier.org/article/woodsto...4E_x_xRHKdCTKk

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...-flu-pandemic/
It is not a medical issue. It is 'perestroyka', 'reset'.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:41 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

If the death rate is the same as the seasonal flu than please explain to me why 220,000 people did not die from the seasonal flu last year?

The answer is the death rate is not .26% its much higher. Its why Covid 19 is a public health crisis.

My fear is by the time we get a vaccine that another 220,000 will be dead as well.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:32 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Because this was from the start a "plandemic" based on the tabletop exercise by Bill Gates and his "crew" that took place in the fall of 2019. Plan 201: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity..../scenario.html Just how similar was the tabletop exercise to the "pandemic"? Pretty close IMO.

Add to that Fauci's accurate prediction that a Trump would face a surprise pandemic. The weatherman can't even forecast the weather accurately in the morning for that afternoon! https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ak/5494601002/ Fact-checked, and he certainly did. He should up on charges and behind bars.

There are just too many "coincidences" involved with "pandemic", far too many for it to be an "accident". https://ise.media/video/plandemic-ii...nation-23.html

We are acting different, actually more accurately being "forced" to act differently, because the issue is not the "pandemic" but of control and force by the government: federal, state, county and city.

Who really even remembers the "swine" flu? What about TB in 2018? Anyone remember action taken here on that as it killed 1.5 million people and infected 10 million worldwide.

Why the difference? One word, "Plandemic".

There's someone brave enough to step outside.

Epidemiology isn't how science proves causation.
In the case of SAR 2.O
And Epidemiological Observations; media and so-called experts have steered the masses into hysteria to include absurd beliefs macgyver style mask, neck gaiters, and standing 72" apart will eliminate or greatly reduce said virus. Nearly forgot thee disinfectant wiping of carts and surfaces.

Has anyone actually stepped back for a moment to consider the contagion theories in reference to SARS 2.0 OR COVID19?

Perhaps we should revisit the Spanish Flu and the
methods scientists/physicians Utilize to inflict non-symptom members with the Spanish Flu.

I surely appreciate Caution but have little patience for fear masquerade as caution.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
There's someone brave enough to step outside.

Epidemiology isn't how science proves causation.
In the case of SAR 2.O
And Epidemiological Observations; media and so-called experts have steered the masses into hysteria to include absurd beliefs macgyver style mask, neck gaiters, and standing 72" apart will eliminate or greatly reduce said virus. Nearly forgot thee disinfectant wiping of carts and surfaces.

Has anyone actually stepped back for a moment to consider the contagion theories in reference to SARS 2.0 OR COVID19?

Perhaps we should revisit the Spanish Flu and the
methods scientists/physicians Utilize to inflict non-symptom members with the Spanish Flu.

I surely appreciate Caution but have little patience for fear masquerade as caution.
Dr. John Snow localized the source of a cholera epidemic without even knowing what the causative organism was, using methods that became the basis of epidemiology. Epidemiology can indeed help determine causation.

Distancing from those who may be sick, washing hands, and disinfection of potentially contaminated surfaces is basic infection control, and, yes, masks are imperfect but they do help.

Who on earth would "inflict non-symptom members with the Spanish Flu"? Is not fear of consequences the basis for caution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates