Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:40 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times

Advertisements

^When I see a guy like this protesting imaginary tyranny.

I think of a guy like this ^ who protested actual tyranny (unarmed no less).

But when the police academy rejects you and you are either too old or too scared to join the military, all that is left is make believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I think we should begin to recognize that threatening our local and state governments, as well as our citizenry, is an act of treason.
I think we (meaning the sane) can all agree that if groups of blacks were stomping around with missile launchers in front of state capitals, etc., the response would be entirely different.
Or mexicans, or asian americans, or women, or syrian americans, or young people....

Old 05-23-2020, 08:09 AM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I think we should begin to recognize that threatening our local and state governments, as well as our citizenry, is an act of treason. The presence of weapons like rocket launchers and rifles is not only lunacy, but a threat.

Moreover, why are these mostly white people getting away with it? (We know why.)

I think we (meaning the sane) can all agree that if groups of blacks were stomping around with missile launchers in front of state capitals, etc., the response would be entirely different.
Much of the animosity towards open carry started in the 60's when the Black Panthers exercised their right to carry, scaring the bejeesus out of the white folks. Most of the idiots in these protests would faint at the sight of a group of well disciplined Black men open carrying in the same manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Missle launchers?

What in the heck are you talking about?

Private citizens cannot have missle launchers.
Sure they can, as long as there's no missle in the launcher, or if they've paid the $200 destructive device tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The AR-15 has become a symbol in the last 20 years. There are preferential reasons to want that particular platform, especially for the customizations. However, I'd guess over half the buyers of that weapon do so based on the desire to make a statement of politics and identity.

A variety of rifles are the same damn thing functionally speaking as an AR 15 but they don't have "taciti-cool" look. E.g.: the Mini-14. You don't see people parading those around.
The Mini-14 is crap compared to the AR-15 platform, especially if you want something really accurate. The Mini-14 just can't be built to shoot the tiny groups a good Ar-15 based rifle can do. Having said that, most of the so called assault rifle bans don't ban the Min-14, since it's not as scary looking.

I personally think the protesters are morons. You can't sway opinion in a positive manner walking around openly carrying long arms. It scares the rest of the population, and mutes the desired message.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM

601 posts, read 458,707 times
It makes them feel powerful, and lets them show off the cool stuff they own. Not much more to it than that.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:13 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's no different than people marching with "Abortion is Murder" (or "My Body, My Choice") placards.. People burning the flag or the nutsy fagans at Westboro Baptist Church with their "God Hates ****" signs.
Flags.........Signs......Bullhorns.......Weapons

(cue music from Sesame Street):

One of these things is not like the others.
One of these things is different from the rest.
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?

Old 05-23-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Much of the animosity towards open carry ...

This topic isn't about open carry per se (nor about who/what started the animosity about it)...it's about people showing up on the steps of government buildings with weapons during protests today....not in a past history.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
It makes them feel powerful, and lets them show off the cool stuff they own. Not much more to it than that.

I dunno. I think it's an attempt to silence any voices that disagree with them...ie: threat.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:56 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

It's got similar accuracy as a cheap AR. Ruger has improved them. https://youtu.be/qkc0ut78cVg

It had thst reputation in the older days, but now it depends on the price you pay. The gun shop owner I knie is cinvinced they're equivalent. But he's also kind of a liberal and a not a big fan of the AR because of its PR.

Ruger has made its upgraded mini 14s more accurate, as you can see here, it performs about the same as an AR.
https://youtu.be/qkc0ut78cVg

The Mini-14 is crap compared to the AR-15 platform, especially if you want something really accurate. The Mini-14 just can't be built to shoot the tiny groups a good Ar-15 based rifle can do. Having said that, most of the so called assault rifle bans don't ban the Min-14, since it's not as scary looking.

I personally think the protesters are morons. You can't sway opinion in a positive manner walking around openly carrying long arms. It scares the rest of the population, and mutes the desired message.
The mini-14 hasn't been used in any mass shootings. That's why it's not a focus of the gun comtrol movement. The gun control issue is the mass shooting issue. It's why gun control is only ever talked about after a high profile mass shooting. They have a point that there is allure to those weapons & that's why shooters use them. It's not like they're skilled shooting hobbyists either. If they were they'd have higher death counts. Only the Las Vegas guy was something approaching anyone who'd practiced much. And not that much.

I doubt most AR-15 buyers are sport shooters, or even fire the weapon much at all. It's a symbol of their conception of "freedom."

Last edited by redguard57; 05-23-2020 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-23-2020, 02:02 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I have sneaking suspicion that a few years ago these were the same people going on about Blue Lives/All Lives Matter. Now that they themselves feel oppressed, these guys have no problem being aggressive, and those same Blue Lives don't matter much at all.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:51 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
The extreme antis and the extreme pros are all in the same loony toons basket together. Fortunately most of us are rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates