Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 02:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
He's not an economist. Why is he stepping outside of his field?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ds/4787209002/
^^
This is from February when he said the risk of COVID was minuscule.
I would be of the opinion that the data he has now is different from the data he had to work with in February. Call me foolish, but I believe a person in his position should continue to adapt as conditions change, otherwise we'd now be using leeches and bloodletting to cure this thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 06:30 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
I personally wouldn't have too much of an issue with Fauci if he just simply said "Listen, the data is developing, so for now he's what we are suggesting at the mean time and as more data comes along, we'll give more updates and suggestions. Because of right now, its hard to get a good grasp on how this virus works. Since we are learning new things about it. We don't know all the details right now." Or something to that effect, instead of just having mandates, wrecking the economy and causing a lot of social disruption with the populace.

I know he's not the only guy who is pulling the strings so I don't blame him entirely. To be honest, I really want to like Fauci. He has a "likeable" face and personality and comes across as a good person, not as some slime bag. I would bet that he has just been doing his best and "doing his job". Though, he does have a track record of being absolutely wrong on many things and yes he IS connected with the Wuhan lab in China. And with this case he has been flip-flopping more than a gymnast, so he loses many points with me.

If anything, I am really pointing the finger at all the citizens who told us who questioned the main narrative and those of us who worried about the economy that we should "Listen to the experts!" and "We can't have the economy over lives!". Now that Fauci has been echoing our sentiments, they have nothing to say. Expected though.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:12 AM

586 posts, read 314,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Double yes.
He was 'encouraged' to hail to the chief and follow the non sense spewed by an inexperienced leader.
I lost a smidge of respect for him .he sold out to the dark side.

Congratulations! You just won the "Most Ridiculous Post of the Week" prize.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:22 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I would be of the opinion that the data he has now is different from the data he had to work with in February. Call me foolish, but I believe a person in his position should continue to adapt as conditions change, otherwise we'd now be using leeches and bloodletting to cure this thing.
The problem is Fauci has been all over the map. In February he said masks do not protect people, then he says wear masks. The thing is he has been studying viruses most his life. Either masks help or they do not. That is not something you figure out in February or April of this year. And if the truth is he said do not wear masks simply because they were in short supply then he was lying to us. Also unacceptable.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:00 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The problem is Fauci has been all over the map. In February he said masks do not protect people, then he says wear masks. The thing is he has been studying viruses most his life. Either masks help or they do not. That is not something you figure out in February or April of this year. And if the truth is he said do not wear masks simply because they were in short supply then he was lying to us. Also unacceptable.
Well, he's an "expert."

Long ago I attended a workshop. The presenting couple made an "expert" joke, since they were from more than 50 miles away and had a briefcase. That was one of their definitions of "expert."

Another was,
ex=a has-been;
spurt=a drip under pressure.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:26 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
We can't stay locked down for too long because of the irreparable damage it'll do to the economy.....

WOW. So, for all of you pro-lockdown people who kept telling us anti-lockdown folks that we need to "listen to the experts" and giving us the whole "lives over economy" spiel, what now? The expert, Dr. Fauci has even said that we can't sustain a long down without the economy being massively damaged. Funny enough, many of the doctors whom have countered his narratives and whom have shared his newly found sentiments, have been censored but now Dr. Fauci says it, its right. Unreal!

doctors should stay out of politics.
the left and right will manipulate him and he will be the loser.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:17 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Fauci should be set for life. Birx too. Why they went along with this farce for this long I don't know. Thing is no matter what is done now ... it's too late. Stick the fork in. We're done. About the only survivors on the other side of this thing will be Amazon and Chipotle. Even the airlines are done. They just are waiting until the end date on the loan agreements so they can file Chapter 11, 13 or whatever the hell they file when they want to stiff all their creditors and run, not walk, to the airport where charter flights are waiting.

Did nobody know that it was not the greatest idea to lockdown the biggest economy in the world? But worse than that, to terrorize the bejeezus out of the populace with tales of bodybags piled 20 deep in front of receiving hospitals from coast to coast. A good number of Americans will NEVER go to a movie again. Will never eat in a restaurant again. Will never shop in a retail establishment again. 1/5 of dentists offices will never reopen. Entire malls will never reopen. 10's of millions of Americans will never get back the jobs they had again. Millions upon millions will never work again.

I didn't need Fauci to see the light after three months. I've been saying this since early March.
People need to take reasonable precautions. Lockdown isn’t it for most folks, but neither is shoulder to shoulder in a mosh pit.

I’m at a beach resort now. I could have stayed at home, but I’m in my thirties with no medical issues. I’m socially distancing, using a mask in big retailers, and washing my hands often. I’m not going to live under a rock.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:40 PM

390 posts, read 306,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Fauci should be set for life. Birx too. Why they went along with this farce for this long I don't know. Thing is no matter what is done now ... it's too late. Stick the fork in. We're done. About the only survivors on the other side of this thing will be Amazon and Chipotle. Even the airlines are done. They just are waiting until the end date on the loan agreements so they can file Chapter 11, 13 or whatever the hell they file when they want to stiff all their creditors and run, not walk, to the airport where charter flights are waiting.

Did nobody know that it was not the greatest idea to lockdown the biggest economy in the world? But worse than that, to terrorize the bejeezus out of the populace with tales of bodybags piled 20 deep in front of receiving hospitals from coast to coast. A good number of Americans will NEVER go to a movie again. Will never eat in a restaurant again. Will never shop in a retail establishment again. 1/5 of dentists offices will never reopen. Entire malls will never reopen. 10's of millions of Americans will never get back the jobs they had again. Millions upon millions will never work again.

I didn't need Fauci to see the light after three months. I've been saying this since early March.

I don't quite think it will be that extreme. To be honest, I think people will go back to normal and forget about all of this, a year from now. Isn't that how things usually work?

Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I personally wouldn't have too much of an issue with Fauci if he just simply said "Listen, the data is developing, so for now he's what we are suggesting at the mean time and as more data comes along, we'll give more updates and suggestions. Because of right now, its hard to get a good grasp on how this virus works. Since we are learning new things about it. We don't know all the details right now." Or something to that effect, instead of just having mandates, wrecking the economy and causing a lot of social disruption with the populace.

I know he's not the only guy who is pulling the strings so I don't blame him entirely. To be honest, I really want to like Fauci. He has a "likeable" face and personality and comes across as a good person, not as some slime bag. I would bet that he has just been doing his best and "doing his job". Though, he does have a track record of being absolutely wrong on many things and yes he IS connected with the Wuhan lab in China. And with this case he has been flip-flopping more than a gymnast, so he loses many points with me.

If anything, I am really pointing the finger at all the citizens who told us who questioned the main narrative and those of us who worried about the economy that we should "Listen to the experts!" and "We can't have the economy over lives!". Now that Fauci has been echoing our sentiments, they have nothing to say. Expected though.
It appears that you have never listened to Dr. Fauci speak because that is precisely what he does. I suspect you are allowing others to distill Fauci's words down to whatever spin they wish to put on them and you suck it right up. Ditto with your idea of his track record.

You are wrong once again on recent claims that his message has changed regarding the economy. You may want to broaden your selection of source material.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Your penultimate sentence is the only thing I have seen from Fauci that gives me pause. I suspect time will supply the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates