Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:23 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my stake in a family Florida condo before the writing on the wall makes the 900K property worthless.

My primary home is near the sea, but 300 feet up, well above the most aggressive projection for sea level rise over the next 200 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Relax.....sea levels go up, and they go down. Warming periods come and go, as do ice ages......
Science can be manipulated to scare the population.....

You'll be fine.

https://skepticalscience.com/sea-lev...ever-told.html

Old 05-25-2020, 10:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I am about 35 miles inland and about 1400 feet elevation on the coast of California.
Someone mentioned to day that it was 80 degrees in the arctic. I assume there will be a surge globally.
We know that the oceans are rising around the world, cities built on the water are being devastated, uninhabitable.
Shipping is going to be disrupted as well.
Is any one taking action or are we all waiting for the last minute?
People will be forced to move, property values inland are likely to inflate.
Any one else thought about this?
Arctic ice melt has nothing to do with sea level rise. It's floating, so if it all melts it would have no effect. Greenland and Antarctica have large masses of land based ice, which will take a long time to melt. Warming water also expands, which will contribute to sea level rise, but we're looking at a century before rising sea levels have a great impact. Even half submerged cities like Venice are threatened as much by land subsidence as by rising water.

Much of the recent flooding has been due to warming surface waters and more energy in the air, leading to more frequent storms and heavy rains. Wind patterns have shifted, leading to droughts in western North America and flooding in east of the Mississippi. Time will tell if that is a temporary condition or a shift in climate. We won't know for decades. It's more relevant that most low lying areas were developed before land use planning. Whole housing developments were constructed in flood plains with inadequate drainage.

The astronomers have headline news about the issue. The sun has entered an extreme quiescent phase. In the past, that has caused serious cooling in the Northern Hemisphere, most recently a little less than 200 years ago. Part of the cooling may have been due to volcanic eruptions. We didn't have any NOAA satellites back then, so all we can do is guess what was going on in the atmosphere. Still, we may get a few decades of respite from global warming before it returns with a vengeance.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
I am about 35 miles inland and about 1400 feet elevation on the coast of California.
Someone mentioned to day that it was 80 degrees in the arctic. I assume there will be a surge globally.
We know that the oceans are rising around the world, cities built on the water are being devastated, uninhabitable.
Like a frog in heating water over a fire....it still seems very far away - you hardly even notice and that's even if you accept something is happening. Anyway, once you've invested in property it's hard to give up.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:27 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
No, you are the only person around who is so far-seeing. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No one is taking action because they don't care.
I don't care because I don't believe in algore mythology. However, his make-believe world has made him about $100 million since he left DC in 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Unless people take action asap which I think will not happen, the coastal cities are doomed. Before my time is over, I am planning on disposing my real estate close to the coasts and buying something inland to leave for my kid. I am betting on Atlanta for the time being.
Everyone should move to the mountains. ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
A couple of questions. Where I used to dock my boat at the New Jersey shore, the water level hasn't changed in 60 years. Have you informed Al Gore of your findings? He seems to have purchased an oceanfront mansion in California. Perhaps he should have consulted you first.

https://www.worldpropertyjournal.com...maker-2525.php
And Obama should have too.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:26 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So much rhetoric.

So many predictions of disaster.

And through it all, not one bit of proof offered, or even evidence.

Nothing but "Everybody knows that...." and "Someone mentioned" and "I assume". As usual.

This isn't a debate thread, much less a "Great Debate". It's a mutual admiration and handwringing society.

You all want to fool yourselves, and solemnly agree with each other that this fantasy or that one is somehow a done deal, no problem. Talk never hurt anything. Well, almost never. And if it makes you feel better, that's OK.

But if you want to pretend it's a "debate", keep in mind that you might occasionally get some.
A huge chunk of southern Louisiana will be eroded in a few decades.

For the first time ever in history, cruise ships can sail through the "northwest passage" from Arctic Canada to Alaska or Siberia.

Just announced this week: Antarctica's snow cap is turning all green, from toxic algae. It can be seen from outer space. The same thing with the Himalayan snow cap in Asia.

People are growing vegetables in arctic Greenland for the first time.

In a couple of decades, parts of the worlds largest Navy Base in Norfolk VA, will be impassible during high-tides.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:26 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Three miles out from the coast. Not worrying.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:45 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Quote:
So much rhetoric.

So many predictions of disaster.

And through it all, not one bit of proof offered, or even evidence.

Nothing but "Everybody knows that...." and "Someone mentioned" and "I assume". As usual.

This isn't a debate thread, much less a "Great Debate". It's a mutual admiration and handwringing society.

You all want to fool yourselves, and solemnly agree with each other that this fantasy or that one is somehow a done deal, no problem. Talk never hurt anything. Well, almost never. And if it makes you feel better, that's OK.

But if you want to pretend it's a "debate", keep in mind that you might occasionally get some.
Here is one article and a Siberia heatwave google. All you need is a free account to read the article below.

Parts of Siberia are hotter than Washington, with temperatures nearly 40 degrees above average Snow cover is disappearing, sea ice is melting and fires, including possible ‘zombie’ blazes, are raging. May 22
Quote:
Siberia is in the throes of a heat wave that would be considered warm even by the standards of those living outside the Arctic Circle.

In Washington, for example, the temperature has been stuck in the 60s all week, reaching a maximum of 73 degrees Thursday. Yet several stations in North Central Siberia, including areas near or above the Arctic Circle, are seeing temperatures climb well into the 80s.

On Friday, the town of Khatanga, Siberia, located well north of the Arctic Circle, recorded a temperature of 78 degrees, some 46 degrees above normal. The typical maximum temperature for the day at that location is 32 degrees. The town obliterated its previous record high for the date of 54 by some 24 degrees and its monthly record of 68 by about 10 degrees.

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-25-2020 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 12:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Relax.....sea levels go up, and they go down. Warming periods come and go, as do ice ages......
Science can be manipulated to scare the population.....

You'll be fine.

https://skepticalscience.com/sea-lev...ever-told.html
Tell that to communities that already have had to relocate completely, due to becoming inundated by sea level rise. Not only Pacific island nations, but here at home, in the US:
You are being redirected...

Old 05-25-2020, 12:20 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
It’s stuff like this that gives me false hope. American cities succumbing to ocean level rise has been in the news as long as I can remember, over 30 years. I’m sure it’s been in the news longer than that. I’ve been waiting for Miami and Los Angeles to disappear under the ocean for a long time now and yet they’re still here. Is there a way to speed up this process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates