Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 12:31 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times

Advertisements

I believe in Noah and his Ark
I subscribe to the parable, God Will Save Me
I also believe in buying Insurance. I have a lot of various types of Insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
If the water level reaches me at 1100 ft, I'm going fishing.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
It’s stuff like this that gives me false hope. American cities succumbing to ocean level rise has been in the news as long as I can remember, over 30 years. I’m sure it’s been in the news longer than that. I’ve been waiting for Miami and Los Angeles to disappear under the ocean for a long time now and yet they’re still here. Is there a way to speed up this process?
Why would you want it to speed up? Scientists are saying, it's already happening faster than ever predicted.

Look at it this way. Back in the 70's, "global warming" was first predicted (well, actually, some say, it was back in the 40's, or even earlier, based on climate change due to industrialization), and there were films on TV about the anticipated effects. All I remember from that time, as a CA resident, was footage of huge forest fires in CA as what "the future" will look like, if the process isn't reversed. Well guess what! "The future" is here. My beloved home state has been going up in smoke. It's scary. Talk to anyone who lived through the Paradise fire (see the dedicated thread on C-D to that topic, started by a survivor), and ask them if they want the process accelerated.

Read about what's been going on in the city of Miami Beach, and what they've been doing to deal with their streets getting flooded.

Be careful what you wish for. Very, very careful. You're from TX; haven't you seen enough hurricane damage in your state, to last you awhile? Hurricanes Harvey and Rita weren't enough for you? You'd like such weather phenomena to occur more often? Have you talked to the residents of Houston about this?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-25-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 02:08 PM

23,299 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I’ll be long under the dirt before the water washes over it.
This is one reason. Attitude: It isn't going to be MY problem. I can continue to do whatever I want whether it contributes to climate change or sea level rise or not.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:58 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
We know that the oceans are rising around the world, cities built on the water are being devastated, uninhabitable.
Prove it.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
LOL let me know when the average beachfront property in Florida goes for less than 2 million...
https://www.zillow.com/seaside-santa...e%22%3Atrue%7D

Old 05-25-2020, 06:11 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Even if you look at the most radical examples, sea level is rising at less and a quarter of an inch per year.

I think there's still time to pack... Centuries even.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This is one reason. Attitude: It isn't going to be MY problem. I can continue to do whatever I want whether it contributes to climate change or sea level rise or not.
True.

But unfortunately, based on the generally accepted geological evidence of the past 450,000 years, we are in the process of exiting a period of glaciation and entering a warmer, inter-glacial epoch, which has happened numerous times already.

Such inter-glacial periods were warmer than what we are experiencing now and clearly were NOT the result of prolonged or extreme human activity. I therefore believe that all modifications to human behavior we devise have about as much chance as a snowball in hell to alter the course of earths climate in the long run.

Feel free to try, though, but I'm done worrying about it.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Why would you want it to speed up? Scientists are saying, it's already happening faster than ever predicted........

LOL. I think it's just that Miami and Los Angeles aren't becoming submerged fast enough for that poster who has been waiting a long time for that to happen.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I am about 35 miles inland and about 1400 feet elevation on the coast of California.
Someone mentioned to day that it was 80 degrees in the arctic. I assume there will be a surge globally.
We know that the oceans are rising around the world, cities built on the water are being devastated, uninhabitable.
Shipping is going to be disrupted as well.
Is any one taking action or are we all waiting for the last minute?
People will be forced to move, property values inland are likely to inflate.
Any one else thought about this?

How old are you? Lets go crazy and assume you are 25, you can live your whole life and your place 35 miles in, 1400 ft high will never be valuable to anyone that lives on the coast of California.

Temp in the Artic Circle is 32 / feels like 21°F. So not sure "who told you it was 80"

We know the oceans are rising/cities on the water are devastated/uninhabitable? Which cities? Venice, Italy is announcing they are reopening this week after the Covid 19 shut down. That would be big news if it was lost to the rising waters (it's not).

Why would shipping be disrupted? More water means it would be easier for boats to get around.

HAVE YOU REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates