Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 04:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Meh. My house is at 50 feet MSL. I’ll be long dead before anything worse than the coastal flooding we already see in hurricanes happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 07:37 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Me .
I was raised on Mustang Island ( Port Aransas Tx ) and gravitated between there and NOLA for a very LONG time .
Even as an adult - Port A, New Orleans , LA , Houston , Amsterdam , Vlissingen NL , Bruges, Bel. Back to Port A, Portland , Seattle and now back to SO cal .

So I have spent the majority of my life ( except three strange years in Oklahoma ) near an ocean and am practically a mermaid at this point but when I left Seattle , I had a little money my mom left me a few years ago to buy one last place and I knew I just could not emotionally/financially go through another total loss storm much less the rising ocean so I bought here so its still easy for me to get to LA . My health is not the best and I can only start over so many times. Knowing it will happen .

I sure get homesick for it but I just don't have the time or the money or the wherewithall to go through it again . I don't care who believes in climate change or not , I KNOW the storms are getting worse and worse and more and more as well as the water level higher .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 05-26-2020 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-26-2020, 11:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Our house is at 600' elevation on a plateau about 24 miles inland from Puget Sound. The cities of Seattle, Mercer Island, Redmond, Renton, Kirkland, Bellevue and Issaquah would have to be completely under water before the water level gets within 200' of us.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Thinking it is not an issue is ridiculous. My friend’s dad in Miami had to move probably 10-15 years ago because his house was flooding so often. It had not been like that when he bought it. Miami is one of the worst places in the US for this.

We are having record hot seasons more and more often. How is that not a problem that will contribute to sea level rise?
Of course that's certainly true. Thinking sea level rise is not an issue is ridiculous. Sea rise is an issue and as temperatures increase and more ice melts the rise in sea level - and all of its impacts and consequences (beyond imagination) - will become more of an issue that will effect everybody on earth, not only the people along coast lines. Everybody.

But the reason why rising sea levels should be the least of environmental worries right now - at least for all the lucky, lucky people here in North America - is because EVERYBODY has control over their own actions and everybody still has time to take responsibility for their own selves and do something about their own personal situations. They might not be able to stop the seas from rising but there is nothing stopping the people from moving their selves away now from areas that will be impacted by rising waters. People who are complaining but putting off moving are simply wasting the gift of time. They have no excuse for their inaction.

The OP's question and title for this thread was appropriate. How long are people going to wait to move while the ocean's rise?

Your dad's friend is lucky he got the memo early and had to move. But why did he move there in the first place when he should have known better? Upwelling of water from underground is what will collapse and sink all of Florida, not water creeping up the shoreline. It's already happening there. Anybody who willingly moves to places like Miami and other cities built right at sea level is just asking for trouble. So they will have no excuse for complaining about having to move away when they run out of time and the earth begins to give out and shift away from under their own feet due to liquefaction of the earth.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Now you are obfuscating and confusing yourself with your own perspective. What you say above doesn't have anything to do with what is happening at the moment. Or are you under the impression that it is the middle of summer in Siberia right now?

Of course the highest temperature in Siberia was 99 degrees Fahrenheit. Once. In the middle of summer.

But so what? There is nothing unusual about that happening once in a while in many places in the northern hemisphere in the middle of summer. What the hey, it even happens in places in the southern hemisphere during their summers. Take note that I'm stressing summer too. Just like you said, they get summer every year like everybody else does.

Check the calendar. It is not the middle of summer in Siberia right now, it's only 2 months into spring and this past abnormally warm winter and current abnormally hot spring isn't typical for Arctic Siberia during winter and spring. For that matter it isn't even typical during Siberia's summers. - https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/europ...ntl/index.html

I'm curious to see how the middle of real summer will play out for them. You know, in another 3 months when it normally gets hot. Hey, maybe they'll all burst into flames this summer the way Australia did during Australia's last spring and summer. Oh wait ..... I almost forgot ...... Siberia is already burning in places. I guess it must be from all that burning methane that is being released from the thawed out permafrost that is no longer permafrost.

Seriously folks, slowly rising ocean levels should be the very least of the world's environmental worries right now.

Since when is stating fact obfuscating?

There is nothing linear in meteorology. You cite an outlying fact, I cite an outlying fact to demonstrate what they are. There is nothing unusual about outliers.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Since when is stating fact obfuscating?

There is nothing linear in meteorology. You cite an outlying fact, I cite an outlying fact to demonstrate what they are. There is nothing unusual about outliers.

LOL. Okay kiddo, I get it now. What you've demonstrated is that you're confused and actually DO believe it's a fact that it's the middle of summer in the Siberian Arctic right now. That means you have become obfuscated. So I guess there's nothing further can be discussed with you on the matter until you make a recovery from that. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. Okay kiddo, I get it now. What you've demonstrated is that you're confused and actually DO believe it's a fact that it's the middle of summer in the Siberian Arctic right now. That means you have become obfuscated. So I guess there's nothing further can be discussed with you on the matter until you make a recovery from that. Good luck.
I can explain it to you, Sonny, but I can't understand it for you, especially when you already have your mind made up. You don't get it at all. Your fantastic rearrangement of the calendar may be something you choose to believe in as your preference to focus on a single outlying statistic rather than a huge body of data, but it makes for an inane argument. I know today's date and how irrelevant it is to your argument.

If it snows in late May in Colorado sufficiently to reopen long closed ski areas should we panic believing the next ice age is right around the corner?

Old 05-27-2020, 05:33 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Yes it's early, but Khatanga hits 78 degrees almost every year at some point. It's been 98 degrees there before. It's just an unseasonable heat wave in the Arctic. Khatanga is attached to the world's largest continental mass so they get heat waves from the south that can be remarkably hot for the latitude.

And May 22 is little more than a week away from summer. If this heat wave had hit just three weeks later, it would be just a typical summer heat wave.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:05 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
People will be forced to move, property values inland are likely to inflate.
Any one else thought about this?
This is a joke, right? When Obama sells the $15 million oceanfront house he bought in 2019, that's when I'll pay attention. When climate change activists stop flying around in private jets, that's when I'll pay attention.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Yes it's early, but Khatanga hits 78 degrees almost every year at some point. It's been 98 degrees there before. It's just an unseasonable heat wave in the Arctic. Khatanga is attached to the world's largest continental mass so they get heat waves from the south that can be remarkably hot for the latitude.

And May 22 is little more than a week away from summer. If this heat wave had hit just three weeks later, it would be just a typical summer heat wave.

Uummm ..... no, seriously it really isn't. That's two of you now that seem to be confused about the seasons. I wonder how many other people believe summer starts a month earlier than it actually does?

On May 22nd it would have been a little more than a month away from summer, not a week away. Today is the 27th of May and the beginning of summer is still 25 days away, a little over three weeks away. This year in the northern hemisphere summer will begin on June 20, 2020 and will end on September 22, 2020.

In the northern hemisphere summer never starts at the beginning of June, it always starts around the third week of June on the longest day of the year and the really intense summer heat usually picks up by the first couple of weeks of July. It has always been that way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates