Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:40 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

I am about 35 miles inland and about 1400 feet elevation on the coast of California.
Someone mentioned to day that it was 80 degrees in the arctic. I assume there will be a surge globally.
We know that the oceans are rising around the world, cities built on the water are being devastated, uninhabitable.
Shipping is going to be disrupted as well.
Is any one taking action or are we all waiting for the last minute?
People will be forced to move, property values inland are likely to inflate.
Any one else thought about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 03:28 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I am about 35 miles inland and about 1400 feet elevation on the coast of California.
Someone mentioned to day that it was 80 degrees in the arctic. I assume there will be a surge globally.
We know that the oceans are rising around the world, cities built on the water are being devastated, uninhabitable.
No one is taking action because they don't care.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:36 PM

492 posts, read 534,738 times
Unless people take action asap which I think will not happen, the coastal cities are doomed. Before my time is over, I am planning on disposing my real estate close to the coasts and buying something inland to leave for my kid. I am betting on Atlanta for the time being.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:20 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
According to the navy tidal charts higher elevations are one's best bet, trouble is a lot of people will be seeking those places as well.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:54 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times
Some years ago I sold my ocean view home in Florida; not because of rising tides though. However, at that time, several people said that I was smart to get out when I did because Florida will be in trouble soon.

Years ago when I lived on Long Island and hurricanes would wipe out the mansions on stilts on Fire Island, the uber rich just rebuilt, and corp of engineers would haul in sand for them for a barrier. And they probably got cheap flood insurance from the government too (I did in Florida).

I don't think the population is going to do anything sensible about rising tides.

I'm comfortably ensconced in the mountains now.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:21 AM

586 posts, read 314,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post

A couple of questions. Where I used to dock my boat at the New Jersey shore, the water level hasn't changed in 60 years. Have you informed Al Gore of your findings? He seems to have purchased an oceanfront mansion in California. Perhaps he should have consulted you first.

https://www.worldpropertyjournal.com...maker-2525.php

Old 05-24-2020, 09:28 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^Article did Not say that AG bought on "ocean front" but that in bought in the community of Montecito. He has an "ocean view."

Perhaps a better reading of the headline is in order?

Old 05-24-2020, 09:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default How long are you going to wait to move, while the oceans rise?

Haven't lived near a coastline for over 30 years. My current location is more than 3000 ft elevation, so flooding from rising tides isn't a concern.

BUT, millions of displaced people at some point in the not so distant future?

That will be a global concern.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:35 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
They will carry me out of this place, it is high ground for coastal Florida.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
OP, Used to think about this for the "Big One" on the Oregon Coastal community. But not much else because even with an Ocean view, the family "beach" house (now sister's) is her responsibility. That house is "beach" in a loose sense because it does sit on a sand hill, 1km from the ocean. I've never seen this community water surrounded (close but no cigar) in a trifecta of river runoff, king tides, and strong westerly winds.

However, another 1 foot rise in ocean rise, may put this Oregon community in jeopardy in a storm and king tides. FEMA maps got revised politically when they updated the maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates