Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:16 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
yes, i wish persons would protest in a way that nobody is watching. that'll show 'em.
The problem with attempts at irony is when you totally miss the original point. Then it just becomes a lesson in "fail".

No one made the distinction of protesting when watching vs. not watching. That doesn't even make sense - when a try falls does it make a sound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 10:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
I have apologized for being a white Male many times Allowed myself to be the butt of many jokes got many promotion and a great retirement being the Object of ridicule and disrespect
I saw black people doing this in New Orleans as a child
We endure we survive

Old 06-05-2020, 10:25 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Heard his family was getting death threats, but either way, that was the fakest, most artificial, corporate apology I've ever read. You could tell he did not mean a single word and someone in the background pushed him and wrote it for him.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:33 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgrl84 View Post
It it's about what that cloth stands for. Anyone else can have respect for their flag and country but it's wrong for a white person to reflect their American? Horrible!!!
I might try to respond if you rewrite your post to make it coherent.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:37 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
There are plenty of other times in a game to make your protests heard. Players already kneel and pray after the game. A kneeling time could have been done before the anthem, after the anthem,at half time, even at the 2 minute warning each half.

The reality is by choosing the anthem as the time of protest you have just alienated a large group of people and the conversation got redirected away from black lives and directed to the flag.

Just like now, the message of police brutality and the positive aspects of the peaceful protestors are getting drowned out by footage of the rioters and looters.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
^+1, big up tibowing.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
It's been said a thousand times already. At this point, if anyone believes differently, then it's willful ignorance.

The "taking of the knee" has NOTHING to do with the American flag, the military, etc. It's a display of American's right to protest. The kneeling was suggested by a MILITARY VETERAN as a proper form of protest. So, if a MILITARY VETERAN suggested kneeling, how is it anti-military?

You can agree or disagree with the message about police violence against Black people. However, don't willfully misinterpret the kneeling.

In fact, what is more representative of what the military stands for but fundamental American rights like the right to protest?

Old 06-05-2020, 12:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
In case anyone wants to EDUCATE themselves, here is an interview with Nate Boyer, the veteran (Green Beret) that suggested kneeling as protest.

Retired Army Green Beret Nate Boyer is the man who first convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel during the national anthem.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:38 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's been said a thousand times already. At this point, if anyone believes differently, then it's willful ignorance.

The "taking of the knee" has NOTHING to do with the American flag, the military, etc. It's a display of American's right to protest. The kneeling was suggested by a MILITARY VETERAN as a proper form of protest. So, if a MILITARY VETERAN suggested kneeling, how is it anti-military?

You can agree or disagree with the message about police violence against Black people. However, don't willfully misinterpret the kneeling.

In fact, what is more representative of what the military stands for but fundamental American rights like the right to protest?
I did note above that it was strange that they are using a historical method of submission by "taking the knee". Just looked it up:
From Wiki:
Kaepernick and his 49ers teammate Eric Reid said they choose to kneel during the anthem to call attention to the issues of racial inequality and police brutality. "After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, ... during the anthem, as a peaceful protest," said Reid. "We chose to kneel because it's a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._n...2%80%93present)

That indeed puts into context taking the knee then. I was thinking why don't they just turn there backs or something (which truly would be disrespectful). Mark me down as just learning something. Not sure I still agree, but I understand the context now. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
There are racism and inequalities in all countries even when the demographics are homogenous. But to protest against the nations flag is universally unacceptable. If you don't respect the country, why should the country respect your opinions. Which is why the inequality will continue as there is no common ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates