Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 05:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
They have "comic days" for low income students whose families can barely afford clothes? How many other special dress-up days does the administration support?

"School uniforms" in my area are not really uniforms. The kids can wear khaki or black pants, plus a variety of black, white, or maroon shirt (school colors are maroon & white). And they can buy them anywhere including Walmart where they are priced for poor people to afford. They do not have any insignia or markings on them so they can be worn anywhere.

FWIW my kids went to Catholic school and they did wear actual uniforms. I don't think it hurt anyone's individuality, although I'm sure some little teenage drama queens said that it did.
It is a day you can wear a Halloween costume minus mask. There are quite a few but it isn't mandatory to participate, except somewhat for staff...

A lot of the schools that do it by me do have an insignia on the shirt so it isn't Walmart polo.

As I said, a number of problems often cited for school uniforms are also a strong disagreement for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 07:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
In a previous district the school had a dress code that was like a defacto uniform - certain color range pants with a certain color range plain polo shirt. No visible brands or logos permitted.

I thought this worked well.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 PM

355 posts, read 225,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
My only experience with a dress code was over 50 years ago.

Everyone had to buy their clothes at a certain place. They had to go to a certain salesman at that store. That way there was no confusion. Only shoes and socks were the choice of the parents and they had to be black with laces.
This.

I went to a Catholic high school with a strict dress code. There were were no fights about clothes.

Everyone got their clothes and uniforms at the same place.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
My 11 year old granddaughter attends a Charter School and she has to wear a uniform. The good thing is she knows what she is going to wear every day. The bad thing is the boredom of wearing the same thing every day. The kids can wear their own shoes and I see some in Huarache's (spelling), Vans or Converse and some in Wal-Mart shoes.

Backpacks are another "status symbol" at her school. She's old enough where she doesn't want a Target or Wal-Mart backpack anymore. Last year we bought her a $50 Vans backpack. Although expensive IMO, it is still in good shape where we used to buy her a new one every year from the cheaper places.

It's also annoying that we have to actually buy more clothes for her since she changes from her uniform into regular clothes when she gets home. Also if she spends an impromptu night at my house I always need to make sure she has a clean uniform here even though she has plenty of her regular clothes at my house.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:39 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Behavior isn't likely to change due to uniforms. I think that is largely is a pipe dream. Students will react how they want to react. What clothing they wear doesn't change that. I should know, I work with students with behavior issues. For student picture days I can see students dressed nice still have meltdowns and need to have a classroom removed to descalate the situation, just as a day when they might wear spirit clothing or normal clothes.

Calling a student a druggie for having roughed up jeans, greesy hair and pour hygiene is disgusting and I would suggest that that is stopped. It just stigmatizes them. Many of the students I have look like that either because their parent cannot tell them to take a shower or the kid's clothes are just that.

I wear a uniform at work, both jobs. However I don't see it effecting school as a student. A dress code is enough and if you choose to be distracted, you're gonna choose to get distracted by anything.
I see we are from different generations.
My experience is mine to convey. It was absolutely true that the teens with the disheveled features were druggies. It was their moniker. It was their line in the Sand for social.grouping. perhaps my description did read as stygma, though it was a perspective fact in my era of education.

I still think uniforms are a blend of convenience and thwart one upmanship.
Although one does still know who the leader or minions are ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates