Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 06:56 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I opened your first link and read the entire article.
It was followed by COMMENTS.
The very first comment (by James Whereat) disputed the story and claimed Columbus was against sex trafficking and was misquoted.

Historical Documentation often comes with more than one perspective. I am no fan of Columbus but this article was clearly written by a group seeking to discredit him.

Is INDIAN COUNTRY TODAY considered a fair and objective source? I suspect not.
Who is "James Whereat"? Anyone can leave a comment in response to the article -- that doesn't mean that they have any credibility.

There was a full bibliography and sources used for the article, and I gave you the link for it. You need to provide some source material of your own to support your point of view. Quoting comments left by random individuals on a website doesn't cut it.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Do you have a legitimate source for these accusations or is it just gossip you heard "somewhere"?
The man was tried and convicted of crimes against humanity by his own government! That didn't happen for no reason.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Is INDIAN COUNTRY TODAY considered a fair and objective source? I suspect not.
Where would you suggest anyone find a fair and objective source?

Old 06-29-2020, 08:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Take Columbus statues down. He sounds like he was a truly horrible psychopath.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Who is "James Whereat"? Anyone can leave a comment in response to the article -- that doesn't mean that they have any credibility.

There was a full bibliography and sources used for the article, and I gave you the link for it. You need to provide some source material of your own to support your point of view. Quoting comments left by random individuals on a website doesn't cut it.
What exactly is my "point of view"? I don't have a dog in this fight and raised the same question that you are now raising. Is the source credible? I cited the comment to demonstrate that not everyone agrees with one version of the "truth" of historical documentation.

Just because this supports someone's chosen narrative doesn't necessarily make it "true".

Lots of "history" has been disputed or disproven by later discoveries.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 06-29-2020 at 09:14 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Take Columbus statues down. He sounds like he was a truly horrible psychopath.
I agree.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The man was tried and convicted of crimes against humanity by his own government! That didn't happen for no reason.
I asked about two specific charges against him. I never suggested he was a wonderful person.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
What exactly is my "point of view"? I don't have a dog in this fight and raised the same question that you are now raising. Is the source credible? I cited the comment to demonstrate that not everyone agrees with one version of the "truth" of historical documentation.

Just because this supports someone's chosen narrative doesn't necessarily make it "true".

Lots of "history" has been disputed or disproven by later discoveries.
There were numerous credible sources for the article, as cited in the bibliography of sources with which you were provided. These sources were referenced for the article in question. What more do you want? What is your source for refuting the statements made, other than: "I never heard that before"?

Old 06-29-2020, 09:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
I am a full blooded 100 percent Indian and I think we should not only keep Christopher Columbus's statue up but make October 12 a federal holiday.

My parents were immigrants from India and his mistake of labeling the indigenous people "Indians" played a large role in the confusion of my childhood playmates upon what type of Indian I am.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Please stop and think rationally. This is mindless destruction of symbols, not actual war against evil. Will destroying statues have any effect whatsoever on the continuing trafficking and abuse of sex slaves in the USA? Not as long as wealthy and powerful people are benefitting from it. And those people come in all skin colors.

Has anyone here stopped to wonder why most of the deaths of minorities by police have been occurring in cities already run by liberal politics? Often minorities are well entrenched in the politics and management of the cities already. Doesn't that seem like maybe, just maybe, the reasons offered for the necessity of rioting might be red herrings?

Just who are these New Bosses everyone is so anxious to enthrone? Does anyone really know? Is a healthy, creative and nurturing spirit of leadership being born? Or something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates