Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should private citizens be criminally liable for showing willful disregard for the life of another (
Discuss. 0 0%
Provide sources to support assertions. 0 0%
Please, no "one-liners." 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 09:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Hopefully they leave the video online, ultimately this will ruin the guys life who posted it.

Wont be long until it gets back to his employer and they want nothing to do with him anymore, and let him go. Im sure the same thing will happen to any friends or social connections the guy has, NO ONE will want to be associated with him after this.

Lets hope he ends up being homeless as a result of this stunt...will see if he is still laughing then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 09:26 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naqual View Post
Other countries, other rules. In Germany f.e. a regulation in the criminal code says the following (fast translated):

"Who, in a dangerous situation or in unlucky circumstances doesn't help, and the help is necessary and doesn't endanger him or her ... will be punished with imprisonment up to one year or a penalty fine.
LIkewise will be punished who hinders an other person who is about to help or is helping in the circumstances above."
That's fair. I guess I should have clarified that I was referring to the specific case that led to the hypothetical posed in the thread!

Old 07-20-2020, 05:41 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Much like consent cannot truly be mutual in a teacher-student or manager-report relationship, someone holding food/water/shelter/currency over the head of a homeless person cannot truly blame "individual free-will" as the cause for injury or death resulting in an action performed in desperation for sustenance.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:05 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Much like consent cannot truly be mutual in a teacher-student or manager-report relationship, someone holding food/water/shelter/currency over the head of a homeless person cannot truly blame "individual free-will" as the cause for injury or death resulting in an action performed in desperation for sustenance.
I guess the only problem I have with this line of reasoning is that not only does Person A not have any duty of care or responsibility over the homeless man (which is not the case in the teacher-student or manager-subordinate relationships), but I'm not sure that the homeless man even needed the $6 to survive. Sure, any amount of money helps, but there are homeless shelters and soup kitchens. And there were safer ways to earn money.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:43 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I found the initial offering to the guy was not illegal and was between two adults. I found his laughing and his attempt to stop aid and/or emergency calls was despicable to the point he needed to end up in the basement of the nearest hospital. But was it illegal? Not sure, even by Nevada law.

As for people not rendering aid, unless that POS moron had a gun, I would have rendered aid and also made a call but in my case, if he didn't like it most likely he would have had something pointed at him in self-defense. And if he had had a gun and pointed it at me....well, I wonder what would have happened then.

And I believe others should have rendered aid and made some calls; however, I am not in their shoes. They might have been afraid of the idiot with the phone, and what is another person to say about that?

So, what would you have done and what are your thoughts?

I watched the video, and to me, it looked like a couple of people did try to render aid. (Although, that said, maybe they shouldn't have, seeing as he had a head or neck injury.)

I've also wondered about the criminality of what that guy did. Yes, he was a paint chip eating horrible human...but it didn't seem like he actually tried to stop anyone from providing help. He just kept laughing and saying "No no no, don't help him" but didn't really seem to have any threat to him.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:46 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Those aren't the elements of the crime that the man was charged with, though, which is part of what my problem is

Perhaps what the man did should be criminal (though whether the homeless man made a wise judgement call does not mean he was perfectly capable to make such a call of his own free will), but I'm having a hard time seeing how it is.
"I'm innocent!"

Tell it to the judge and COs.lol

Old 07-21-2020, 10:43 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
I saw a man, in a popular retail store, in a "mandatory mask" store & state, take a package and purposefully coughed on the package and then put the package back on the rack.
What would you say about this ?

Old 07-21-2020, 12:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
"I'm innocent!"

Tell it to the judge and COs.lol
It is not necessary to establish innocence, except perhaps when concerning strict liability crimes. Only enough to assert "not guilty".

Old 07-21-2020, 04:40 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Take that logic a bit further and you will see that it's not good. What if you hire someone who is poor to clean your gutters and he falls and gets hurt or killed? Lots of people take jobs they don't want because they need money. Construction jobs are very dangerous. So is coal mining. Can people only consent to those jobs if they are rich? It doesn't make sense.

The guy in this story was mentally ill. I knew plenty of mentally ill people in the psych hospital and people from a large group home in town. They get SSI or SSRI and food stamps. It's enough money to live on. They always try to bum or steal so they can buy booze, cigarettes, or drugs.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:18 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Take that logic a bit further and you will see that it's not good. What if you hire someone who is poor to clean your gutters and he falls and gets hurt or killed? Lots of people take jobs they don't want because they need money. Construction jobs are very dangerous. So is coal mining. Can people only consent to those jobs if they are rich? It doesn't make sense.

The guy in this story was mentally ill. I knew plenty of mentally ill people in the psych hospital and people from a large group home in town. They get SSI or SSRI and food stamps. It's enough money to live on. They always try to bum or steal so they can buy booze, cigarettes, or drugs.
We need to stop this. "Shape up, Ship out, or your choice of intoxitants. You get 3 chances starting now. "Tough love." We can no longer make do with enabling, policing without rehab and rehab cannot be unlimited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates