Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 04:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
To some extent this can feel like hammer and nail type argument based on a couple anecdotal reports. When we look at total death rates, men are actually more likely to die from it. That obviously doesn't prove that their isn't a bias against women when it comes to Covid treatment. But, it does cut against the argument that women are uniquely burdened by Covid.

"More men than women are dying from COVID-19. Why?"
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/fe...-covid-19-why/
It has not been playing out that way here in Maine. Women have a higher infection rate, lower hospitalization rate, and a higher death rate...although the men are staring to catch up on deaths over the last couple of weeks.

I can't currently make any associations/conclusions, the ratios may change over the next six months, and then for the next year after that...assuming no vaccine any time soon. I'm hopeful, but not counting on it, and preparing the finances to weather another two years or so...and if it goes that long I'll be able to file for SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 05:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It has not been playing out that way here in Maine. Women have a higher infection rate, lower hospitalization rate, and a higher death rate...although the men are staring to catch up on deaths over the last couple of weeks.

I can't currently make any associations/conclusions, the ratios may change over the next six months, and then for the next year after that...assuming no vaccine any time soon. I'm hopeful, but not counting on it, and preparing the finances to weather another two years or so...and if it goes that long I'll be able to file for SS.
Estrogen is a protective hormone, men maybe against estrogen but you still need it. Too much testosterone will make you bald quicker and die faster. Eating foods like soy increases the body's ability to make estrogen that can fight cancer and protect the cells.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Estrogen is a protective hormone, men maybe against estrogen but you still need it. Too much testosterone will make you bald quicker and die faster. Eating foods like soy increases the body's ability to make estrogen that can fight cancer and protect the cells.
And?

I fail to see how that relates to what I posted, in regard to the data I have available to me.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:18 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Recent research findings re: =men's higher morbidity rate from Covid says that it's men's higher testosterone levels that set them up for it. The virus zeros in on the testosterone.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Recent research findings re: =men's higher morbidity rate from Covid says that it's men's higher testosterone levels that set them up for it. The virus zeros in on the testosterone.
Oh, I see. He mentioned cancer so I was at a loss to figure out where he was going with it...and I've seen too many whacky posts from him to try and guess.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:00 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Usually someone who identifies as male will wait til the symptoms are beyond repair to seek medical counsel. Not all but most play the grin and bare it attitude. So the medical staff serves that as the bar to match to get their attention.
Usually the person who identifies as female is generally proactive in deterring getting to that point. Yet will plactate and think she is overthinking or over reacting. Because it's been ingrained to go that route.
The medical professionals objectively listen to the patient. Run test and seek resolution. While some can keep the patient hostage by billing them over and over again to appease the system that they didn't neglect the patient (or their wallet!).

Til the day I die I will be filled with distain for a pulmonary doctor whos arrogance and God complex led my parent to her death. That female doctor and I clashed on every decision. The courts luckily saw that her administering of a drug led to further complications. My parents history clearly showed she was allergic to a particular steroid.

Being misdiagnosed can be more disheartening for the patient, even if the doctor does listen.
I'm not a gent so I can't speak from their experience or mindset.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
The decline in medical care actually began with medical schools having to do the demographic "quota" thing, starting about 45 years ago. HCFA in 1983 suddenly cut doctors allowable charges sometimes in half. That drove the rocket scientist types away, to boot. The "art" part of Medicine is now all but history. I see many of you have noticed.
I had to look up "HCFA" to understand this post better. Apparently Medicare/medicaid started nickeling and dime-ing more, in the 80's. Why would that affect how everyone else was dealt with by doctors? Did the rest of the insurance industry follow suit? If so, what's the point of having "good" insurance; isn't it all about getting a better level of care?

I'm hoping someone can elaborate. This would explain so much about my, and others', experience for so long. And this is exactly the kind of thing that happens in single-payer systems.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is very important information. I've never heard this before. Could you elaborate? How is what I take to be an insurance matter (cutting doctors' allowable charges) related to medical schools doing "the demographic quota thing"? What's "the quota thing"?

Thank you so much.

I can't. It's a "touchy" matter to some I've gotten dinged recently just for using a candidate's name in a simple reply. I'll be glad to elaborate after things "chill down" a bit. These are not free speech times.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post

So. In 2020 we still have male doctors ascribing "hysteria" to women to dismiss their medical issues. What can be done about this centuries old problem, wherein males still dismiss women's illnesses?
Nothing...absolutely nothing...Just try your hardest (if you're a woman) to find a female doctor... but realize that even if she listens better, it doesn't guarantee that she can't/won't make mistakes in your treatment.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
And?

I fail to see how that relates to what I posted, in regard to the data I have available to me.
It means that initially, when the observed pattern was that more. men were contracting an dying from Covid, some research was done that said women's estrogen, but especially pregnant women's higher estrogen levels (according to the article I read), protected them, leading to statistics that skewed against men. There was also a false belief back then, that children were somehow magically protected. Both these early observations have been proven false, in that pattern of who is affected by the disease and who dies, has been found to vary from place to place. In NM, for example, Native kids and young people were getting the disease at a higher rate than middle-aged adults (40 through 70, IIRC). I haven't followed the stats as to gender, but I believe you, that that varies as well, from one locale or state to another.

So the picture now has become more complex. What "we" ("they", whoever) thought we knew about it has changed as the virus continues its inexorable sweep through the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates