Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 03:42 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffins2001 View Post
Are we humans suppose to know/find out everything? Will doctors ever figure out some diseases,cancer or being paralyzed? Sci-fyi type questions after I write all this. I would hope doctors would be able to figure out diseases,cancer,being paralyzed but who knows maybe it will take another 500 years.

Or maybe we are at the top and this is how far we as humans are suppose to know about some things. What if there is no answer to certain disease,cancer and other things? What if we knew more about the brain and we could do brain transplants so when we get older we could just switch bodies and are the same person? Take aging everything does it so what if we figured out how to stop aging? Then we would be able to live forever.

You could take anything like space travel. Will we ever be able to travel light years away and see other things? What about if there is aliens? Science is awesome and I love it plus doctors but maybe we as humans are only suppose to go/learn only so much.
We know what we know and we don't know what we don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 05:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
You could take anything like space travel. Will we ever be able to travel light years away and see other things? What about if there is aliens? Science is awesome and I love it plus doctors but maybe we as humans are only suppose to go/learn only so much.
If they are ever able to transfer your memory/consciousness to a humanoid (human-like robot), then in theory you can live forever, never get cancer, or other human ailments, just remember to keep your batteries charged!

So if this technology does happen 100 years, 500 years, 1000 years from now, you would be able to travel all over the galaxy and explore, the possibilities are endless.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:48 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
History of science in 25 words or less (well, maybe a little more than 25 words)

In the beginning, we could make no predictions or explain anything. We said it was all up to the gods, over whom we had no control.....Then Newton gave us deterministic science: F always = ma....until Boltzmann realized we could never know the "ma" of every single molecule in a bottle of gas, so he came up with "probabilistic" physics: substituting averages for absolute knowledge.

Further work has shown that the state of the Universe exists the way it does because it is the most likely configuration, but not the only possible one. ...In view of that, we can't know everything-- but we can know how everything works. (Subtle difference.)

In the specific case of medicine: we've only known about genes for 150 yrs, about DNA for about 70 yrs and just started learning about how genes are controlled about 50 yrs ago. We've been mapping genomes for only about 20 yrs....We're starting to be able to insert genes into cells. Once we know how to turn genes on and off, we'll have most diseases licked-- and maybe even aging.

Ever hear the one about Pandora's Box?

Old 08-12-2020, 08:51 PM

32 posts, read 32,128 times
I never herd about the Pandora Box guidoLaMoto. Woah that was awesome stuff you wrote ciceropolo. Awesome thoughts you guys. Yeah that would be insteresting even if they did figure things outs years later if we could see from heaven what the world is like. That would be pretty interesting to see how the future world would be like. That would be intersting cjseliga if we could become humanoids. That way our thoughts/memory could be around forever. I also thought so if we did figure out aging then if few people do die we would have a over populated world. I never thought about that part until now.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:25 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Guys it’s not that difficult of a question to entertain and speculate. Not sure why we have such a problem with the question itself.

I am content where we are right now, so long as I can live in a sparsely populated area.

I’ll give you my take:

- Technology? The advancements projected for the year 2000 were all a flop when we actually got there. And still no flying cars. We can’t even get the autonomous car thing right while firmly on the ground.

- Medicine? Even in 2020, doctors cannot be bothered to numb or sedate a patient prior to performing painful exams or procedures. Example: endometrial biopsy. Furthermore, they seem to think solving the opioid crisis rests on their very shoulders and are giving Tylenol to people waking up from surgery. So I’m going to say no, we will never cure cancer. We will continue the chemo and radiation “treatment” protocols which almost kill the patient in the process, and continue doing so because it’s given so many people false hope and will continue to be sold to them in exactly that way.

- Peace? Peace is not profitable. Not just war, but in general any kind of crisis, disaster, or unrest is exploited now. Probably won’t ever achieve lasting peace in all places at all times.

- Hunger? See above. Nations will selectively provide aid where politically advantageous while their own citizens starve.

- Light speed travel? No. We’d be destroyed in the process. Light speed is meant for massless particles. The physics involved would kill us. Time travel is a myth. The reason it is said that approaching the speed of light “slows down time” is more a perception thing between parties if they were able to theoretically observe one another during such a delta in speed. Sound would be long gone. An analog radio transmission would fare slightly better, possibly slowing down due to the Doppler effect.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:58 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
I never herd about the Pandora Box guidoLaMoto.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_box The myth of Pandora's Box is the old Greek treatment of the problem of Adam eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge--once the secret (knowledge) is out, it may have unintended consequences, and, like the Genii, tough to stuff back in the bottle.

We may be smart enough to figure everything out, but are we wise enough to use the knowledge?

Would you want to "live forever" whether biologically or as an android? At what point would endless Seinfeld reruns finally get boring?

An old "Hee Haw" routine: two "rustic types" are lazily relaxing in the shade and the one drawls "Didja hear ol' Clem died?"---"Do tell...How old was he?"..."97."....."Did he smoke?"....No....."Did he drink?"...."No"..."Did he chase women?"...."No"......."Then why did he wanna live so long for?"

Old 08-13-2020, 08:01 PM

32 posts, read 32,128 times
Yeah I see what you are saying guidoLaMoto. I could see where life would get boring. I think that was mentioned a couple times in various vampire movies or so. But then again you travel everywhere and see many things. I do want to live to 100 or past that if I can. I travel places already and I want to travel more later on in life. So yeah sometimes when your older you can't do many things but hopefully I can. I want to try to live my life to the fullest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates