Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 09:40 PM

32 posts, read 32,179 times

Advertisements

Are we humans suppose to know/find out everything? Will doctors ever figure out some diseases,cancer or being paralyzed? Sci-fyi type questions after I write all this. I would hope doctors would be able to figure out diseases,cancer,being paralyzed but who knows maybe it will take another 500 years.

Or maybe we are at the top and this is how far we as humans are suppose to know about some things. What if there is no answer to certain disease,cancer and other things? What if we knew more about the brain and we could do brain transplants so when we get older we could just switch bodies and are the same person? Take aging everything does it so what if we figured out how to stop aging? Then we would be able to live forever.

You could take anything like space travel. Will we ever be able to travel light years away and see other things? What about if there is aliens? Science is awesome and I love it plus doctors but maybe we as humans are only suppose to go/learn only so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:11 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,539,639 times
There is no "supposed to" or "not supposed to". I have no idea how you came up with that idea. We humans will never know everything. How anyone even think that's a possibility is beyond me.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:03 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,508,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffins2001 View Post
Are we humans suppose to know/find out everything? Will doctors ever figure out some diseases,cancer or being paralyzed? Sci-fyi type questions after I write all this. I would hope doctors would be able to figure out diseases,cancer,being paralyzed but who knows maybe it will take another 500 years.

Or maybe we are at the top and this is how far we as humans are suppose to know about some things. What if there is no answer to certain disease,cancer and other things? What if we knew more about the brain and we could do brain transplants so when we get older we could just switch bodies and are the same person? Take aging everything does it so what if we figured out how to stop aging? Then we would be able to live forever.

You could take anything like space travel. Will we ever be able to travel light years away and see other things? What about if there is aliens? Science is awesome and I love it plus doctors but maybe we as humans are only suppose to go/learn only so much.
How would you ever know that you knew everything? What would the so called cutoff point of knowledge be?

We discover new species of prehistoric animals all the time. We will never find all of them and thus never truly know all that was out there. There will always be the possibility of new discoveries.

When it comes to space travel, a light year is a colossal distance. By conventional means, it would take millennia to reach the nearest star, Proxima Centauri. We don't currently know of any other technique that will let us get there in a reasonable amount of time (there are a number tat have been proposed, but as of now they remain a part of speculation). Current science restricts an object with mass from reaching light speed, but who's to say that some new discovery isn't made, that throws that limit out of the water.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times
There is definitely information that mankind is not yet prepared to be aware of!

Probably more that we think too!

This reminds me of that female nazi in the crystal Skull movie with Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, at the end, she tells the alien she wants to know all the information it does...as she begins to learn, her brain melts and she disintegrates!

I believe there is information, that if we were to be made aware of it today, we would probably go mad just from hearing it, point is, man can only handle so much.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:06 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,539,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is definitely information that mankind is not yet prepared to be aware of!

Probably more that we think too!

This reminds me of that female nazi in the crystal Skull movie with Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, at the end, she tells the alien she wants to know all the information it does...as she begins to learn, her brain melts and she disintegrates!

I believe there is information, that if we were to be made aware of it today, we would probably go mad just from hearing it, point is, man can only handle so much.
Oh, I think I know where you're going here. You mean like ALIENS? Okay, I'm just joking alright.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:04 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,260,356 times
Someday in a far away time ,we might have space travel, we might have cures for most of the deceases, we might meet aliens, but since we have NO idea what everything is, how would we ever be able to determine when we would know everything (already noted)?

But rest assured, your chances for being here when we THINK we have learned everything is very slim.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Oh, I think I know where you're going here. You mean like ALIENS? Okay, I'm just joking alright.
Good one!! LOL

Seriously though, its goes well beyond 'aliens'

Even if we discovered aliens created us...'some intelligence' had to create them at some point too...eventually this will lead to an ultimate being/intelligence (like God).

Old 08-12-2020, 08:19 AM

102,244 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Some of the answer to cancer is simple (seemingly); clean up the environment, stop spraying chemicals on food and dumping them into the environment, and avoid stress.

You're welcome, and you'll get my bill in the mail.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:35 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,474,228 times
Perhaps.

We live in an economic reward system that has revenue generation as a priority over health (grant it you cannot check for every possible negative impact as some take longer time to show up) and lets corporations take seemingly unusable by products and turn them into revenue streams without much consideration for the general population.

Part of the issue is once in an "industry", certain kinds of improvements or advancements may not be acknowledged due to stasis within the industry. Look how long it took medicine to accept sanitary hygienic conditions in hospitals.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-women-s-lives

Another prescient issue is what is 'the goal' in finding out as much as we can?
Some research is suppressed because they like to use it to control people.

This may be of interest:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...020.00037/full

Marshall McLuhan was invited by Bilderburgers to speak and he stated he felt they were dangerous people who wanted to use McLuhan's Theory against the population. Their 'template' with great thinkers was same with the economy i.e. "Capitalize and Privatize the profits / Socialize the risks / losses". In the case of the best thinkers use the best ideas to benefit themselves and control the public.

As for advancements this excerpt from, Waves Passing In The Night, by Lawrence Weschler does a good job illustrating the primary issue (whatever the field of study).

"The wider problem, though, concerned the more general profile of the sociology of academic science in the current era and the pressures within it that mitigated against entertaining any sort of ideas that failed to fall squarely in the mainstream (especially ideas as notoriously cootied-up as Titius – Bode. In a chapter in his book The Utopia of Rules: On Technology, Stupidity, and the Secret Joys of Bureaucracy London School of Economics anthropologist David Graeber (one of the founders of the occupy Wall Street movement) wonders why we have been denied the flying cars and transporter beams and so forth that we were promised in the futuristic prognostications of the fifties and sixties. “There was a time,” he hazards by way of answer, “when academia was society’s refuge for the eccentric, brilliant and impractical. No longer. It is now the domain of profession self- marketers. As for the eccentric, brilliant and impractical: it would seem society has no place for them at all.”

Graeber goes on to quote the physicist Jonathan Katz’s warning to students pondering a career in the sciences, how even when one does emerge from the usual decades long period languishing as someone else’s flunky, one can expect one’s best ideas to be stymied at every point, since “It is proverbial that original ideas are the kiss of death, because they have not been proven to work.” The sort of thinkers “most likely to come up with new conceptual breakthroughs,” Graeber concludes, ”are the least likely to receive funding, and if some new breakthrough occurs, it will almost certainly never find anyone willing to follow up on its most daring implications.”

Graeber’s relatively cursory analysis was explored in considerably more damning depth in Lee Smolin’s 2006 book, The Trouble with Physics. “A hundred years ago ,” notes Smolin, a founding member of the innovative Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario, “the academy was much smaller and much less professional, and well trained outsiders were common. This was the legacy of the nineteenth century, when most of the people who did science were enthusiastic amateurs.”

But things have changed radically, particularly since the 1970s, when universities stopped growing but kept churning out PHDs in physics and the other sciences. “as a result, there is fierce competition for places in research universities and colleges…and much more emphasis on hiring faculty who will be funded by the research agencies. This greatly narrows the option for people who want to pursue their own research programs… and there are fewer corners where a creative person can hide, secure in some kind of academic job, and pursue risky and original ideas.” On top of that, recent years have seen a “marked increase in the number and power of administration” such that “in hiring there is less reliance on the judgement of individual professors and more on statistical measures of achievement, such as funding and citation levels,” which, “also makes it harder for young scientists to buck the mainstream.” Smolin also gores on to note how “peer review” serves a powerful gate-keeping function, “a mechanism for older scientists to enforce direction on younger scientists” and “to discourage change”.

Put simply, Smolin continues, “the physics community is structured in such a way that large research programs that promote themselves aggressively have an advantage over smaller programs that make more cautious claims…to do the opposite – to think deeply and independently and to try and formulate one’s own ideas – is poor strategy for success”. Smolin insists that in order to prosper, science requires both rebels and conservatives, both seers and craftspeople; the current state of play, however, mitigates mightily against the professional survival of rebels and seers.

Thanks for making think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdgrby_14XM

Old 08-12-2020, 03:05 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,678,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some of the answer to cancer is simple (seemingly); clean up the environment, stop spraying chemicals on food and dumping them into the environment, and avoid stress.

You're welcome, and you'll get my bill in the mail.
Diet and lifestyle important factors. Here, it says 1/3rd are lifestyle related. Prob. higher.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1in...es-and-cancer/

This study says 50 % of cancer cases are preventable. So, there are some answers already.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991099/

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 08-12-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates