Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 08:57 PM

666 posts, read 426,694 times

Advertisements

I would not want to live in a world where crime has been made infeasible. It may sound counter productive, but crime at basic level is a way to protest or exercise freedoms in the face of possible unjust laws (of course barring obvious victim crime, I am not endorsing legitimate crime).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 10:46 AM

513 posts, read 577,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
I would not want to live in a world where crime has been made infeasible. It may sound counter productive, but crime at basic level is a way to protest or exercise freedoms in the face of possible unjust laws (of course barring obvious victim crime, I am not endorsing legitimate crime).
Unfortunately crime is a natural part of living in a world where people are human and have free will. Could technology ever reach the point where crime is nonexistent? Possibly, but I wouldn't want me or my descendants to live in that world. It would only mean that free will has been taken away, people are no longer free, and people are no longer human. No thank you. We may be a long way from such a world, but when every place we ever go is recorded, when every purchase we make is logged, and every source of media we take in is saved in a database we are on our way. Neuralink is hoping to put in brain chips next year. People had better decide if they want to remain free people or not before it is too late.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:12 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Also, google search "panopticon".

Old 09-05-2020, 01:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Cameras are great since we see the same events but draw utterly different conclusions

Old 09-05-2020, 04:54 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,821,133 times
They sure can help but they come with their own set of problems.

Check out 'The Capture' on Peacock for a very interesting 6 episode story about a near future where cameras are ubiquitous in public places.
It's a bit repetitious at first but heats up as one is made aware of the possible consequences that develop within the framework of mass hi tech law enforcement. It has a great ending to boot.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:23 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,794 times
Negative,

We've had cameras on most streets, establishments, to include bodycams and vehicles and crimes continually surge throughout every community.

Oddly enough our capacities to listen, record, view and document most any occurence globally should reduce crime 100% however we are missing entire planes coupled with small & large groups of people, property, emails and presidential taxes.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:12 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
As some new invention starts as a luxury, then a convenience, and finally a necessity, people forget how to live without it. Like many other luxuries, surveillance cameras are limited by the rising costs of electricity and materials in electronics, and fragility of the aging electric grid.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:04 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Also I wonder if we should have live cameras in school classrooms?
If schools did, they still wouldn't be able to show it to parents, as it's also recording everyone else's children.
So it'd be for internal monitoring purposes only. Even so, I don't think I'd be comfortable having my kid recorded 7 hours per day, every weekday, for her entire childhood...it's creepy.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:39 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If schools did, they still wouldn't be able to show it to parents, as it's also recording everyone else's children.
So it'd be for internal monitoring purposes only. Even so, I don't think I'd be comfortable having my kid recorded 7 hours per day, every weekday, for her entire childhood...it's creepy.
This could add to a much larger problem. Parents prefer their children go uncorrected by adults (known & unknown).

Parents oddly worried about their children recorded on camera at older ages yet plead for them throughout younger years..

Unbeknownst to you, you're recorded more often than not.

What's creepier are naive parents with mystical children behaving brilliantly 100% of the time- all the time.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:01 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
They can catch all the criminals they want but there has to be a change in this country that actually holds people responsible for their poor criminal behavior. Someone mentioned the rioters, and it seems that when they are caught they are quickly released and back on the streets the next night.

When it comes to criminals they are usually stupid and their crimes are opportunistic so they never even consider that they might be caught in the act on camera. Many of them don't care because they figure nothing will happen to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates