Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 07:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times

Advertisements

Testing is worthless unless you do something with the information. Word is that a fast covid test is finally being deployed that will allow contagion and contact tracing in real time. If you don't know who is infected until they infect a dozen other people, you may as well not test at all.

Most nations have managed to control the coronavirus through simple measures like mask wearing and contact tracing of infected individuals. It's great that the CDC test is finally going in the trash, because it was never quick enough to be useful for contact tracing.

Right now we are seeing the Labor Day infections die. Wait until Thanksgiving. It could be a really dark Christmas. If you're an ambulance driver, don't count on spending Christmas Eve with your kids. It's four weeks to the day from Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Testing is worthless unless you do something with the information. Word is that a fast covid test is finally being deployed that will allow contagion and contact tracing in real time. If you don't know who is infected until they infect a dozen other people, you may as well not test at all.

Most nations have managed to control the coronavirus through simple measures like mask wearing and contact tracing of infected individuals. It's great that the CDC test is finally going in the trash, because it was never quick enough to be useful for contact tracing.

Right now we are seeing the Labor Day infections die. Wait until Thanksgiving. It could be a really dark Christmas. If you're an ambulance driver, don't count on spending Christmas Eve with your kids. It's four weeks to the day from Thanksgiving dinner.

Does anyone think that people will be doing a regular Thanksgiving ? I know we are not because we will have to cook because Im thinking the stores will not be doing prepared dinners this year . Im sure it will be a very different holiday season than most of us are used too . Im sure airline flights will be down from last year and so will christmas flights as well . Yep this will be a very dark holiday season this year .

Old 10-30-2020, 09:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was reading another forum on C-D and several mentioned that because of giving blood or some other reason they found out they have the antibodies. They were not sick or if they had mild symptoms they did not go and get tested. I know there are stories of people getting it twice. But would it not make sense to see who has at and at least their risk factor as well as likelihood they will give it to someone else will be greatly reduced?

Obviously you cannot force everyone to get tested. But make it free, anonymous and encourage it. I imagine most people will opt in.

Moderator edit: FYI for all participants in this thread. The OP has since made it clear that he is talking about voluntary testing.
Why would anyone who's not ill want to be tested for a virus?
To what end?
A high percentage of people won't suffer with covid any more than they would with any other flu...they might not even know they have it, or have had it.
Why not offer free anonymous tests for any virus?
just ONE virus killed 80,000 people in 2018 and hospitalized hundreds of thousands
https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/
other virus also kill....we've never had the paranoia and taking away of peoples businesses and livelihoods before...why now?
There'll always be virus and bacteria that kill or maim...part of life..you just do the best you can to protect yourself and loved ones. We shouldn't be denying the right to interact with our families and friends because some people are afraid.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:45 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times

Because it's necessary to travel to many destinations right now, for one thing.
I might be visiting my old and frail parents, for another.

And 100 other reasons. It's not hard to think of a few.

just ONE virus killed 80,000 people in 2018 and hospitalized hundreds of thousands

Sure. And it stopped itself due mainly to immunization, immunity, seasonality, and common sense. COVID has none of those things. By the way, the 80K is counted the very same way as COVID is counted, so I hope you believe in the COVID numbers as well. Flu ALONE barely kills anyone.

Right now, 1 in 10 dead people in your local obituary died of COVID. At what point did you want to take action? Or you just think it will stay 1 in 10? What if it's 1 in 5? Half? 99%? No. 1 in 10 is enough for me. I'm willing to adjust my life a bit to remove 10% of the dead people from my local paper, even if it's temporary. That's not fear. It's compassion and common sense. Lots of folks have zero of either right now.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
To what end?
A high percentage of people won't suffer with covid any more than they would with any other flu...they might not even know they have it, or have had it.
Why not offer free anonymous tests for any virus?
https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/
other virus also kill....we've never had the paranoia and taking away of peoples businesses and livelihoods before...why now?
There'll always be virus and bacteria that kill or maim...part of life..you just do the best you can to protect yourself and loved ones. We shouldn't be denying the right to interact with our families and friends because some people are afraid.
Stop it with the free tests. There is NO such thing as a free test. That is a taxpayer PAID test.

I won't get tested unless I'm extremely ill or it's required to have surgery. I didn't get a flu test when I had the flu a few years ago. The NP said you have all the signs. Here's Tamiflu. If you don't start to feel better within 24 hours, you need to go to the ER because I was really sick and fought her on going right then. I have to be practically dying to go to the ER. Last time I went, I actually was dying. Funny how when your body stops making blood, you slowly die.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:05 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
This is not the flu. Getting a flu test - even though you have no flu symptoms - has the smallest of chances of preventing another person from catching the flu (from you) or dying because of it. Not so, COVID.

There is a real lack of compassion on this planet right now. You get tested so as not to spread it around. That's it. There is no great damage TO YOU if you have it without symptoms. The great damage is after you - personally - hand it out to 10 other people.

THIS is why testing Is A Thing.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:20 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Moderator edit: FYI for all participants in this thread. The OP has since made it clear that he is talking about voluntary testing.
The tests don't work. The antibodies go away after the infection.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
This is not the flu. Getting a flu test - even though you have no flu symptoms - has the smallest of chances of preventing another person from catching the flu (from you) or dying because of it. Not so, COVID.

There is a real lack of compassion on this planet right now. You get tested so as not to spread it around. That's it. There is no great damage TO YOU if you have it without symptoms. The great damage is after you - personally - hand it out to 10 other people.

No one said it was the flu.

Testing is meaningless. It has an incubation period of up to 14 days. A test just means at exact second you may or may not have the virus fully incubated and running through your body. The test could have totally different results 2 hours later or the next day. Are you supposed to get tested wry hour? Every day? Who pays for that? Insurance companies will not cover all of those tests. Where I live the test costs $260. Few people have that to spend on a single test. Let alone repeated tests. Before you start screaming and jumping up and down about testing is free. No it’s not. Free tests are given to those who have very specific exposure by public health. Everyone else pays for their tests here. You can’t even get a test at most facilities without a list of symptoms, a nursing home patient, healthcare worker, or having surgery. There’s one urgent care facility that will give you a test for any reason for $260. The results from all testing here is a minim of 3 days right now. So what good is that test?

Old 10-31-2020, 12:12 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

We can't feed ourselves with "compassion" indefinitely. Worse, there are lots of unattended to medical conditions when lockdowns occur. And with closed courts and emptied jails, crime runs rampant.

At some point, masks and maybe not holding huge indoor gatherings is all you can do. Society must be open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The tests don't work. The antibodies go away after the infection.
Also, general resistance from T-cells and the like exists and really can't be measured.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Stop it with the free tests. There is NO such thing as a free test. That is a taxpayer PAID test.

I won't get tested unless I'm extremely ill or it's required to have surgery. I have to be practically dying to go to the ER. Last time I went, I actually was dying.
I'm aware of that..I responded to OP who suggested free tests be made available.
I agree with everything you say...I stay away from hospitals too, until, like you said...I'm practically dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates