Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 10:52 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
What about people who are homebound? Disabled, elderly, hospitalized? What about folks who can't take time off of work? What about folks that have no transportation? What about members of the military who are stationed overseas? I can think of 100 legitimate reasons why people couldn't vote in person.
Good catch, I did completely forget to mention those and I feel that there needs to be a request from the voter to obtain a mail in ballot in which would require supporting documentation showing the need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Plain and simple...In person with ID card in hand.

From an ethical standpoint, votes should not be against other parties, votes should be for the person whose policies will benefit America and Americans the most. Votes should also not be calculated; for instance supporting but not voting for a third party candidate because you know they have no chance of winning, this is a wasted vote in my eyes. If I dont like anyone running, I simply wont vote, but thats just me.
Here is why I oppose most voter ID laws.

I had the experience of trying to round up drivers licenses and duplicate social security cards for my children.

I hope I never have to go through all that again. It involved tracking down birth certificates, filling out forms, waiting for information to arrive in the mail, and standing in lines.

Why the hell should a person who has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes to his government (like I have) have to put up with this crap?

Because there is someone out there who is afraid there is a .00001% that someone who is not a citizen might register to vote and cast a ballot? That's how rare it is according to courts who have reviewed voter ID laws.

I say if a state wants a voter ID law than it has an obligation to go seek out hard-to-find people in all the areas of the state and make official ID for them on the spot once those people can furnish any proof they are citizens of this country and of a legal age to vote. Anything else is just BS designed to suppress votes among the poor, the less literate, the less experienced in life, and the handicapped.

I'm very suspicious that anyone who wants strict voter ID laws is simply engaging in a subterfuge to keep groups that traditionally vote more heavily for democrat candidates from voting at all.

Last edited by markg91359; 02-23-2021 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 12:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Whatever the state says it is. Federal government should have no say.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
You have to ask yourself who benefits from strict voter ID laws? Who benefits from less stringent ID laws?

In the long run, reasonable but not difficult ID laws should benefit everyone in the long run. With more people able to vote, there should be more interest in actually voting. But certain groups of people do benefit from unreasonably strict voting laws.

I am quite happy with WA State’s voting by mail setup. But I have no idea how an unhomed person can vote here. Our ballots are sent to our home addresses, after all.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Whatever the state says it is. Federal government should have no say.
What if a state said that no blacks, Hispanics and women could vote?

Actually, there are laws, federal laws, to prevent such things.

I'm just giving you an example of what could happen at the extreme.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:40 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Here is why I oppose most voter ID laws.

I had the experience of trying to round up drivers licenses and duplicate social security cards for my children.

I hope I never have to go through all that again. It involved tracking down birth certificates, filling out forms, waiting for information to arrive in the mail, and standing in lines.

Why the hell should a person who has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes to his government (like I have) have to put up with this crap?

Because there is someone out there who is afraid there is a .00001% that someone who is not a citizen might register to vote and cast a ballot? That's how rare it is according to courts who have reviewed voter ID laws.

I say if a state wants a voter ID law than it has an obligation to go seek out hard-to-find people in all the areas of the state and make official ID for them on the spot once those people can furnish any proof they are citizens of this country and of a legal age to vote. Anything else is just BS designed to suppress votes among the poor, the less literate, the less experienced in life, and the handicapped.

I'm very suspicious that anyone who wants strict voter ID laws is simply engaging in a subterfuge to keep groups that traditionally vote more heavily for democrat candidates from voting at all.
Why did you need to round up your kids social security cards and licenses? We keep files with this sort of information so that it is readily available upon request. Granted a drivers license is different as my kids are too young, but we certainly have social security cards, birth certificates, passports, etc. on hand.

Why should you have to put up with providing an ID when voting? Same reason you would need an ID for anything else that requires one... to prove you are who you say you are. I dont think customs would take your word over a passport, do you? I know when we vote, we thank the individual for asking us to provide our ID because its all about accountability.

It is your assumption that the poor, less literate, less experienced and handicapped are targeted but I dont assume that at all. Your comment however makes me assume you think that this demographic is incapable of obtaining an ID and that this is a Republican scheme against Democrats. I believe that everyone should be held equally accountable and regardless of political affiliation (because it shouldnt matter), an ID should be presented. My political affiliation has definitely changed over the years but my viewpoint on voter ID has not.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Why did you need to round up your kids social security cards and licenses? We keep files with this sort of information so that it is readily available upon request. Granted a drivers license is different as my kids are too young, but we certainly have social security cards, birth certificates, passports, etc. on hand.

Why should you have to put up with providing an ID when voting? Same reason you would need an ID for anything else that requires one... to prove you are who you say you are. I dont think customs would take your word over a passport, do you? I know when we vote, we thank the individual for asking us to provide our ID because its all about accountability.

It is your assumption that the poor, less literate, less experienced and handicapped are targeted but I dont assume that at all. Your comment however makes me assume you think that this demographic is incapable of obtaining an ID and that this is a Republican scheme against Democrats. I believe that everyone should be held equally accountable and regardless of political affiliation (because it shouldnt matter), an ID should be presented. My political affiliation has definitely changed over the years but my viewpoint on voter ID has not.
My daughter's social security card was misplaced and it was a struggle to get a new one. I couldn't get her a driver's license until we had this. I'm talking several weeks worth of effort here.

I've lived in this country for 61 years and voted in practically every election. Frankly, I don't believe that I should have to prove I am who I say I am every time I do it. I think its an insult to a person who has lived in the same home for the last 30+ years and voted in the same precinct. Plus, the poll workers know who I am.

We aren't talking about foreign travel here. We are talking about voting. Foreign travel is not a right under the Constitution. Voting is, sir. Its why many courts repeatedly hold voter ID laws to be unconstitutional. The two things are not the same.

These laws either indirectly or directly target the poor, the disabled, and minorities. I tend to believe much of it is done directly because the republican dominated state legislatures know that these groups vote heavily democratic and they don't want them voting.

The burden placed on poor and handicapped individuals to comply with ID laws is a steep one. They are less likely to have a working automobile, money for gas, and money for parking. They also tend to have jobs that require they keep fixed schedules of 9-5 and those happen to the same hours that most government offices are open.

Finally, the number of people who attempt to fraudulently vote is small. That must be weighed/balanced against the imposition on the poor and handicapped that ID laws pose. The reality is the objective persons who weigh that burden conclude that burden placed on the poor and handicapped is greater. That is why courts generally strike these laws down.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
US citizens only. Over 21 (or at least over 18), proof of identity and citizenship required. Strict penalties for voting under a false name.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:55 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
US citizens only. Over 21 (or at least over 18), proof of identity and citizenship required. Strict penalties for voting under a false name.
FYI - That's already a crime, carrying hefty fines and/or jail time.

Personally, I'm OK with some kind of ID requirements when registering to vote, but I am very much in favor of voting by mail. I like Colorado's system very much. All registered voters get ballots mailed to us, we can mail them back, drop them off in drop boxes (I do this; it's very convenient) or go vote in person if we want. We sign the envelope, which has our name and address and a bar code on it, the signatures are verified before the envelopes are opened. I do not believe that we have any fraud problems at all.

I mean, hell, with tech being what it is, how easy would it be for the state to set up an app or website where in order to register to vote online, you have to enter your ID number and then your laptop's camera or your phone snaps a photo of your face, and it's compared with your state ID photo using facial recognition, and if it's a match, your voter registration goes through. OR, you can just show up somewhere in person to register and show ID.

In this day and age...I don't really know people who have no ID of any kind. Even if you don't drive, you need it to buy certain things, to send and receive money in certain ways, to get a legit job...I don't think that some form of valid photo ID is asking too much. As long as you can register to vote any time and there are at least some places open on weekends/evenings where it can be done, or maybe an online method with secure verification as I described. What concerns me far more, is forcing people to show up in person, on a specific day, and stand in long lines, possibly for HOURS, and given the time of year, possibly in bad weather... I may not know anyone who lives with no photo ID, but I sure do know people who would have a hard time doing that. No one should have to drive for a long period of time, or stand for a long period of time, or worry about not being able to vote because of their work schedule or childcare, or whatever.

I just think that it should be easy to vote, convenient, in order to encourage as many eligible Americans to do their civic duty as possible. I don't think it should be reserved for those determined enough to stand in a line for half a day. Hell, voting is mandatory in Australia, you know. Though it's only a small fine if you don't.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:42 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
One day to vote. Few if any absentee ballots. All counting must be done in real time and results released when polls are closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates