Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 02:03 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I am very irritated that the results of this election might not be known for weeks because national rules have not been established for ALL states. So, if it was your decision, what would you like to see instituted "across the board" -- or do you think it should be up to the individual states? (If you do think each state should decide for itself, WHY do think so?)

If it were up to me, I would have the same rules for all states, and these would be:

1. In order to vote, each person must provide proof of citizenship address, and a photo I.D. when registering to vote and then s/he would receive a voter identification card (similar to a drivers license), which could also serve as proof of I.D. in general. (If this I.D. is lost, a new one could be issued for only a processing fee, such as $10.) If a person is disabled or cannot physically do this for any reason, someone else could take the forms in with a signed POA (power of attorney) or some kind of legal form authorizing that person to do that, and the photo ID requirement could possibly be waived or relaxed (for example, an old school I.D. or expired passport, military ID or drivers license all could be accepted).

2. In the first week of September, a form would be sent out to each and every known eligible voter at his or her last known address to complete and return (postage free) by October 1. This form would be very short, as follows: [Check One:] (Line 1) "I affirm that I am the person listed above and I confirm that my address has not changed, (Line 2) "I affirm that I am the person listed above, but my correct and current address is ________.", and (Line 3) Signature _________. If someone does not receive such a form by September 10 and wishes to vote, s/he can go to any post office, town office or DMV to request a new form with his or her voter I.D. OR proof of citizenship, address, and photo I.D.

3. Ballots will be mailed the second week of October. If someone does not receive his/her ballot by October 20, s/he can go to the DMV, post office, or town office to receive one -- OR s/he can vote in person on Election Day -- but in these cases, the person must show their voter I.D. OR s/he can bring a photo I.D., proof of citizenship, and proof of residency. (This can also be done in the case of people who moved to another state after September 1 or so.) These ballots will be registered and later checked to be sure that someone has not voted twice, and a very large penalty would be issued if someone did vote twice.

4. The deadline to mail ballots would be ten days before Election Day, and they would be counted the day before Election Day; however, the results would not be released until after the polls have closed on Election Day. If any ballots are discovered after Election Day, they would be counted, although these would be unlikely to change the results unless there was some kind of massive fraud.

5. No results would be released until all polls in all states have closed. State results would not be announced until at least 90% of the votes have been counted, and the national winner would be declared as soon as a candidate has 270 electoral votes. Electoral votes would be proportionate to the votes each of the top two candidates received. (For example, if a state has 20 electoral votes, and if it was done that way this year, and Trump received 45% of the votes and Biden received 55%, Trump would get 9 electoral votes and Biden would get 11. In that way, there would be no recounts because if the race was very close, each candidate would get half of the electoral votes.) The electoral college [i]meeting of electors/I], such as the one scheduled for December 14 of this year, would be eliminated, so that would be unnecessary, plus that would also mean that no one person could undermine the wishes of the people in their state.

6. In the case of a tie, another election would take place four weeks after the first Election Day, with the procedure essentially the same as before; and if it was still tied after that, the Senate would decide by a simple majority two days after the second election, with a tie in the Senate being decided by the Senate Majority Leader.

So, the chance of voter fraud would be greatly reduced, Democrat voters in an overwhelmingly Republican state (or vice versa) would still have their votes "count", and the winner would be known, at the latest, five weeks and two days after Election Day.

So, that is the first draft of my idea, but what would YOU like to see regarding election/voting rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 02:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
If our government is competent, we can have online voting.

We are doing our banking online but we cannot do our voting online.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
In spite of empty claims to the contrary, this year's over-emphasis on wholesale mail-in/online voting, has nothing to do with either banking online or absentee ballots. The issue is that the left seems committed to seek and encourage as many ballots as possible, with no verifiable evidence of legitimate or registered voters submitting these ballots. Of course, there will also be no verifiable 'chain of ballot handling' to identify ballots that 'somehow' never got delivered.

Mainstream America is fed-up with the persistently dirty politics and corrupt media our nation has been subjected to for the last 3-4-years. I think the only thing that will prevent a major ballot/election uproar that likely reaches the Supreme Court, is a landslide victory that even the left cannot rationally contest. (In a sense, that would be much like their baseless, totally partisan impeachment action, that was virtually DOA in the Senate).

Old 11-01-2020, 06:50 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am very irritated that the results of this election might not be known for weeks because national rules have not been established for ALL states. So, if it was your decision, what would you like to see instituted "across the board" -- or do you think it should be up to the individual states? (If you do think each state should decide for itself, WHY do think so?)

If it were up to me, I would have the same rules for all states, and these would be:

1. In order to vote, each person must provide proof of citizenship address, and a photo I.D. when registering to vote and then s/he would receive a voter identification card (similar to a drivers license), which could also serve as proof of I.D. in general. (If this I.D. is lost, a new one could be issued for only a processing fee, such as $10.) If a person is disabled or cannot physically do this for any reason, someone else could take the forms in with a signed POA (power of attorney) or some kind of legal form authorizing that person to do that, and the photo ID requirement could possibly be waived or relaxed (for example, an old school I.D. or expired passport, military ID or drivers license all could be accepted).

2. In the first week of September, a form would be sent out to each and every known eligible voter at his or her last known address to complete and return (postage free) by October 1. This form would be very short, as follows: [Check One:] (Line 1) "I affirm that I am the person listed above and I confirm that my address has not changed, (Line 2) "I affirm that I am the person listed above, but my correct and current address is ________.", and (Line 3) Signature _________. If someone does not receive such a form by September 10 and wishes to vote, s/he can go to any post office, town office or DMV to request a new form with his or her voter I.D. OR proof of citizenship, address, and photo I.D.

3. Ballots will be mailed the second week of October. If someone does not receive his/her ballot by October 20, s/he can go to the DMV, post office, or town office to receive one -- OR s/he can vote in person on Election Day -- but in these cases, the person must show their voter I.D. OR s/he can bring a photo I.D., proof of citizenship, and proof of residency. (This can also be done in the case of people who moved to another state after September 1 or so.) These ballots will be registered and later checked to be sure that someone has not voted twice, and a very large penalty would be issued if someone did vote twice.

4. The deadline to mail ballots would be ten days before Election Day, and they would be counted the day before Election Day; however, the results would not be released until after the polls have closed on Election Day. If any ballots are discovered after Election Day, they would be counted, although these would be unlikely to change the results unless there was some kind of massive fraud.

5. No results would be released until all polls in all states have closed. State results would not be announced until at least 90% of the votes have been counted, and the national winner would be declared as soon as a candidate has 270 electoral votes. Electoral votes would be proportionate to the votes each of the top two candidates received. (For example, if a state has 20 electoral votes, and if it was done that way this year, and Trump received 45% of the votes and Biden received 55%, Trump would get 9 electoral votes and Biden would get 11. In that way, there would be no recounts because if the race was very close, each candidate would get half of the electoral votes.) The electoral college [i]meeting of electors/I], such as the one scheduled for December 14 of this year, would be eliminated, so that would be unnecessary, plus that would also mean that no one person could undermine the wishes of the people in their state.

6. In the case of a tie, another election would take place four weeks after the first Election Day, with the procedure essentially the same as before; and if it was still tied after that, the Senate would decide by a simple majority two days after the second election, with a tie in the Senate being decided by the Senate Majority Leader.

So, the chance of voter fraud would be greatly reduced, Democrat voters in an overwhelmingly Republican state (or vice versa) would still have their votes "count", and the winner would be known, at the latest, five weeks and two days after Election Day.

So, that is the first draft of my idea, but what would YOU like to see regarding election/voting rules?
I like the idea of proportionate voting.

My state does count mail in early but doesn't release the numbers until after the polls close. They still are one of the last states to finish counting.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:33 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Mail in ballots are still a high risk of voter fraud. Require voter registration be done at a city, county, or state office with proof of ID and residence. My state allows voter registration at the DMV. Instead of blanket mail in ballots implement early voting locations that require proof of ID to vote. Leave mail in votes for absentee ballots for those physically unable to vote in person, in military stationed outside their home state, or those working out of state or country. Absentee ballots require at least one witness signature depending on state laws. Electronic voting through an app or website opens the door to voter fraud via hackers. A closed loop electronic system reduces the chance of being hacked because they’re would be no outside network connection to the software of the devices.

Two options to change the US presidential elections. The first is turn it into a primary style. Top two candidates to receive the most votes will run off. This could have impacted previous elections when a particular candidate drew in enough votes to hurt the similar politically minded candidate thus costing him the election. The second option is an amendment to the electoral college. Instead of the candidate with the most votes in a state winning all of that state’s electoral votes amend it so that the candidate that wins the majority automatically receives 2 electoral votes. The rest of the electoral votes would be in line with congressional districts. Each district won is one electoral vote for the candidate. Two or more candidates can win at least one state electoral vote. The one who wins the majority of the votes will most likely have the majority of the state’s electoral votes. Each state’s electoral vote count is equal to the number of senators and US Representatives they have in Congress. Treat it like a congressional election. Majority gets the two senator votes and each district represents a congressional vote.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:53 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Only one election is a national election - the presidential election. I really don't see a need for national voting standards. It's not as though the states' voting procedures vary so widely or wildly as to cast doubt upon the results of any one race or the states' capacity to conduct an election.

Also, the official results of any election are not known for weeks afterward. This is nothing new. Absentee ballots, especially from overseas, may not arrive on Election Day and that likelihood is built into the timeline in the state's board of elections. There may be recounts, and each race is certified - in Ohio, for instance, elections are certified within 10 business days of Election Day.

So as far as what "should" happen -- I'm fine with the states running their own shows., as they have been for 200+ years. There is no need for national voting standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The issue is that the left seems committed to seek and encourage as many ballots as possible, with no verifiable evidence of legitimate or registered voters submitting these ballots.
To request my ballot online, I had to provide my name, address, phone and email, and precinct number. That information was matched with my voter registration. If the information hadn't matched the information at the county board of elections, I would not have received a ballot. Voter ID is not required in this state.

Isn't the point of voter services to encourage as many ballots as possible? Don't we want people to vote?

Quote:
I think the only thing that will prevent a major ballot/election uproar that likely reaches the Supreme Court, is a landslide victory that even the left cannot rationally contest. (In a sense, that would be much like their baseless, totally partisan impeachment action, that was virtually DOA in the Senate).
Assuming "the left" doesn't win, of course ...

Old 11-01-2020, 10:25 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Here's mine.

a. Agree with your first item, proof of citizenship to register to vote. A voter ID card would be issued. A civics test would be required to get the ID card. In order to vote people should have a basic understanding of our government and how it works.
b. No mail in voting except for absentee voting as has been done for years and only when properly requested by the voter.
c. Proof of having paid taxes, either income, property, or a poll tax. Those who don't contribute shouldn't be able to vote themselves payouts.
d. I do like VictimofGM's idea of assigning electoral votes by district rather than state. This is more in keeping with the intent of the system to ensure a few large population areas don't dominate.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Only one election is a national election - the presidential election. I really don't see a need for national voting standards. It's not as though the states' voting procedures vary so widely or wildly as to cast doubt upon the results of any one race or the states' capacity to conduct an election.

Also, the official results of any election are not known for weeks afterward. This is nothing new. Absentee ballots, especially from overseas, may not arrive on Election Day and that likelihood is built into the timeline in the state's board of elections. There may be recounts, and each race is certified - in Ohio, for instance, elections are certified within 10 business days of Election Day.

So as far as what "should" happen -- I'm fine with the states running their own shows., as they have been for 200+ years. There is no need for national voting standards.

To request my ballot online, I had to provide my name, address, phone and email, and precinct number. That information was matched with my voter registration. If the information hadn't matched the information at the county board of elections, I would not have received a ballot. Voter ID is not required in this state.

Isn't the point of voter services to encourage as many ballots as possible? Don't we want people to vote?

Assuming "the left" doesn't win, of course ...
And if someone filled out multiple voter registrations at one of those street side drives then he or she could request ballots for all the fake names they registered and vote multiple times under different names.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:59 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And if someone filled out multiple voter registrations at one of those street side drives then he or she could request ballots for all the fake names they registered and vote multiple times under different names.
Please provide documented facts to support your assertions about "street side drive" voter registration.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Please provide documented facts to support your assertions about "street side drive" voter registration.
'Voter fraud'? California man finds dozens of ballots stacked outside home

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/vot...d-outside-home

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates